Thread: Nissan/Infiniti Tuning - Info Sharing & questions

Tuner in Training

Nissan/Infiniti Tuning - Info Sharing & questions

Hey everybody. This may be a long post, but here we go.

I just started working on a 2012 FX35. ECU read wouldnt open - HP Tuners support fixed that. - Thank you

Next, I noticed that the 2012 FX35 Supported vehicle PID's does not include being able to log knock or spark retard - is this common ? - currently with HP Tuners support, so I am sure Evan is looking into that now.

Has anyone figured out a way to get the Lambda/afr error to work with the stock widebands ?

I have attached a log file with a WOT pull, it shows a EQ commanded Lambda of almost 1.3 at WOT (seems REALLY lean for WOT), yet the individual widebands show the vehicle is doing .8XX at WOT, am I logging the wrong commanded EQ ?

WB CMD EQ Issue.PNG

In the scanner I am logging spark advance based on RPM and Engine load - as described in the tuning guide posted as a sticky in the Nissan forum here. I am logging points of 40+ degrees of timing advance.... that just doest seem right. Am I logging incorrectly, or is there a way, like with GM, to block out parts of the graph where timing values shoot up during decel ? I am guessing that is what is happening here, is that i am logging spark values on decel which throw off my graphs accuracy..... maybe ?

spark issue.PNG

Oil Pressure - is this something that we can log in the VCM scanner on other nissan vehicles ? The oil pressure PID is not available on the 2012 FX35 that I am working on.... I find that a bit unusual... but not as unusual as not being able to log knock in the VCM scanner.

I have some additional values from the Nissan CONSULT unit that I have logged, that identify some of the missing DTC values. Will HP Tuners be willing to put those values into the VCM Editor? - has anyone submitted this information to them before, or more importantly, does anyone care ?

can anyone explain how the PID's in the VCM scanner are gathered ? Are they based on the Nissan CanBus system (maybe for sensor communication ?) or are they based on the SAE J1979 standard, but manufacturer specific ?

Fuel Temp - I dont know how many people care, but there is a fuel temp sensor in the fuel tank, HP Tuners allows me to log this temp.... unfortunately, it says 25 F, and moves from 22 to 33 F on the regular. Not sure if this is a PID math error on the part of HP Tuners ? Is this a possibility ?

Fuel temp issue.PNG

Desired Boost ??? - Since I am new to Nissan tuning, I figured I would add almost every supported sensor.... one of those was desired boost. Why would the ECU want to see a value here on a N/A vehicle ? I am seeing a positive desired boost value here - pic below..... is this something that other people have seen ?

Desired Boost.PNG

MAF values - Since this is basically the 350Z 3.5 liter VQ35DE HR motor, it has dual intakes and dual MAF sensors. I noticed that the "MAF" Pid and the "MAF A" and "MAF B" PIDs all have different values. OK, makes sense, MAF A is drivers side, MAF B is passenger side. The MAF pid appears to be both MAF values combined. I noticed that the values were different when I added MAF A and MAF B together and compared them to the MAF PID. so I made my own MAF A + MAF B math parameter. is this something that other people have done ? Does it matter ? My tune file does not have a MAF A calibration and a MAF B calibration table, so I figured the combined version would work...... thoughts ? Is this something that I should have HP Tuners look into ? The 2009 350Z tune file I have looked at has the MAF A and MAF B Calibration tables....

MAF CAL.PNG

I am wanting to help the group here get better coverage for all the Nissan and Infiniti vehicles, I am just not sure how to go about it. I am also not sure if everyone is having the same problems that I am having, or if it is just because of the vehicle that I am currently working on and I will have to wait for HP Tuners support to make the changes/fixes or if they will not as this is not a "common" nissan vehicle to tune.

If anyone is interested I have attached a copy of my tune, VCM scanner logs and settings for people to check out. Screenshots as well for people who dont want to go to all the trouble of downloading the log and additional files. As always, suggestions are welcome to change my charts, graphs and channels.

Thank you,

Matt Bosserman

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by xtantaudio View Post

I just started working on a 2012 FX35. ECU read wouldnt open - HP Tuners support fixed that. - Thank you

Next, I noticed that the 2012 FX35 Supported vehicle PID's does not include being able to log knock or spark retard - is this common ? - currently with HP Tuners support, so I am sure Evan is looking into that now.

Has anyone figured out a way to get the Lambda/afr error to work with the stock widebands ?

I have attached a log file with a WOT pull, it shows a EQ commanded Lambda of almost 1.3 at WOT (seems REALLY lean for WOT), yet the individual widebands show the vehicle is doing .8XX at WOT, am I logging the wrong commanded EQ ?

WB CMD EQ Issue.PNG

In the scanner I am logging spark advance based on RPM and Engine load - as described in the tuning guide posted as a sticky in the Nissan forum here. I am logging points of 40+ degrees of timing advance.... that just doest seem right. Am I logging incorrectly, or is there a way, like with GM, to block out parts of the graph where timing values shoot up during decel ? I am guessing that is what is happening here, is that i am logging spark values on decel which throw off my graphs accuracy..... maybe ?

spark issue.PNG

Oil Pressure - is this something that we can log in the VCM scanner on other nissan vehicles ? The oil pressure PID is not available on the 2012 FX35 that I am working on.... I find that a bit unusual... but not as unusual as not being able to log knock in the VCM scanner.

I have some additional values from the Nissan CONSULT unit that I have logged, that identify some of the missing DTC values. Will HP Tuners be willing to put those values into the VCM Editor? - has anyone submitted this information to them before, or more importantly, does anyone care ?

can anyone explain how the PID's in the VCM scanner are gathered ? Are they based on the Nissan CanBus system (maybe for sensor communication ?) or are they based on the SAE J1979 standard, but manufacturer specific ?

Fuel Temp - I dont know how many people care, but there is a fuel temp sensor in the fuel tank, HP Tuners allows me to log this temp.... unfortunately, it says 25 F, and moves from 22 to 33 F on the regular. Not sure if this is a PID math error on the part of HP Tuners ? Is this a possibility ?

Fuel temp issue.PNG

Desired Boost ??? - Since I am new to Nissan tuning, I figured I would add almost every supported sensor.... one of those was desired boost. Why would the ECU want to see a value here on a N/A vehicle ? I am seeing a positive desired boost value here - pic below..... is this something that other people have seen ?

Desired Boost.PNG

MAF values - Since this is basically the 350Z 3.5 liter VQ35DE HR motor, it has dual intakes and dual MAF sensors. I noticed that the "MAF" Pid and the "MAF A" and "MAF B" PIDs all have different values. OK, makes sense, MAF A is drivers side, MAF B is passenger side. The MAF pid appears to be both MAF values combined. I noticed that the values were different when I added MAF A and MAF B together and compared them to the MAF PID. so I made my own MAF A + MAF B math parameter. is this something that other people have done ? Does it matter ? My tune file does not have a MAF A calibration and a MAF B calibration table, so I figured the combined version would work...... thoughts ? Is this something that I should have HP Tuners look into ? The 2009 350Z tune file I have looked at has the MAF A and MAF B Calibration tables....

MAF CAL.PNG

I am wanting to help the group here get better coverage for all the Nissan and Infiniti vehicles, I am just not sure how to go about it. I am also not sure if everyone is having the same problems that I am having, or if it is just because of the vehicle that I am currently working on and I will have to wait for HP Tuners support to make the changes/fixes or if they will not as this is not a "common" nissan vehicle to tune.

If anyone is interested I have attached a copy of my tune, VCM scanner logs and settings for people to check out. Screenshots as well for people who dont want to go to all the trouble of downloading the log and additional files. As always, suggestions are welcome to change my charts, graphs and channels.

Thank you,

Matt Bosserman
    I replied to your inbox message. Whew, you sound like me in this post.

No KR PID unless you try the "Extended Datastream" patch in the OS.

The commanded Lambda... Is that commanded EQ ratio that youre reading? EDIT: After looking at your log, that is commanded EQ ratio, not commanded Lambda.

I havent figured out EQ Error yet.

I remember Evan telling me that Nissan/Infiniti uses a whole different standard than the rest of the world. "K Line" IIRC what he said.

Fuel temp? LMAO! Sounds like the same problem Im having with the Charge Cooler Temp sensor im having with my Q50. LOL!

Im starting to wonder if Nissan/Infiniti is overwhelming HP Tuners...
    Last edited by jaydubb71; 09-16-2020 at 09:53 AM.
    Daily Driver= 2003 BMW 330xi
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)
    Project Car= 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS (LQ4 w/ Gen 4 Rods, LS3 heads, turbo...)
    Truck= 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT LY5 4x4

Tuner in Training
    jaydubb71,

I received your e-mail earlier today. I will look through stuff shortly.

As for the enhanced datastream, I do not have that option as an OS patch unfortunately.

As for knock, I have built a device that I can wire into the ECU and listen for knock directly from the knock sensors through a set of headphones and a headphone amplifier. It does work, but it is not the way I would really like to go with it.

I am going to try different ways to log the commanded Eq and Lamba to see what is going on there... and will post back.

As for the fuel temp, it appears that the math formula that they are using is incorrect.... maybe just for this specific vehicle, I am not sure yet. I am looking at that later this evening. I have confirmed that other logging programs are able to monitor the fuel temp correctly, and I have confirmed the temperature of the fuel in the tank by removing the fuel lid on the passenger side and measuring the temp of the fuel manually. I know, this seems crazy, but I am determined to get things right

Advanced Tuner
    jaydubb71,

As for the enhanced datastream, I do not have that option as an OS patch unfortunately.
    Are you running the latest version? I would get the latest stable 4.8.7 or latest beta and read the vehicle again.

As for knock, I have built a device that I can wire into the ECU and listen for knock directly from the knock sensors through a set of headphones and a headphone amplifier. It does work, but it is not the way I would really like to go with it.
    I feel you 100%. Too much of a PITA to install all of that...

I am going to try different ways to log the commanded Eq and Lamba to see what is going on there... and will post back.
    OK. I've had GMs come up like that. Kinda like how you command PE in a GM.

As for the fuel temp, it appears that the math formula that they are using is incorrect.... maybe just for this specific vehicle, I am not sure yet. I am looking at that later this evening. I have confirmed that other logging programs are able to monitor the fuel temp correctly, and I have confirmed the temperature of the fuel in the tank by removing the fuel lid on the passenger side and measuring the temp of the fuel manually. I know, this seems crazy, but I am determined to get things right
    The intercooler temp on my Q50 reads 30-40 degrees F on a 100 degree day. Sensor is bad. Your fuel temp sensor may be bad also, if the car actually has one...
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)

WB CMD EQ Issue.PNG

spark issue.PNG

Fuel temp issue.PNG

Desired Boost.PNG

MAF CAL.PNG

Thank you,

Matt Bosserman
    Regarding knock/retard - those pids should be in there, I'll investigate.

The SAE pid is inverse of everything else on nissan for lambda. You're not actually seeing 1.3 lambda, you're seeing 1.3 eq ratio, which if you add decimal points will probably be on par with what your other gauge is seeing.

The DTC names may be missing, but you can still disable the DTCs. All available DTCs are available to disable, even if the description is missing. But feel free to submit the descriptions if you would like and we will add them when we can.

PIDs are scanned in VCM Scanner via either memory parameters, common identifiers or by SAE. If you hover over the PID it should tell you which scanning method is being used.

Fuel temp should be degrees celsius not F. I'll change that.

Desired boost is a common identifier shared with the GT-R which is probably why you're seeing that, although I had thought we separated it into a different definition. Something else to look into.

About the MAF, your definition probably just had a base definition from a car with only one MAF sensor so it was overlooked. I will add the second MAF sensor table into your file.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydubb71 View Post
    I replied to your inbox message. Whew, you sound like me in this post.

No KR PID unless you try the "Extended Datastream" patch in the OS.

The commanded Lambda... Is that commanded EQ ratio that youre reading? EDIT: After looking at your log, that is commanded EQ ratio, not commanded Lambda.

I havent figured out EQ Error yet.

I remember Evan telling me that Nissan/Infiniti uses a whole different standard than the rest of the world. "K Line" IIRC what he said.

Fuel temp? LMAO! Sounds like the same problem Im having with the Charge Cooler Temp sensor im having with my Q50. LOL!

Im starting to wonder if Nissan/Infiniti is overwhelming HP Tuners...
    Charge cooler temp may just be the same thing as his fuel temp issue, it should be degrees celsius. Sometimes the unit can get accidentally changed without noticing. It's a quick fix.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by evan.s@hptuners View Post
    Charge cooler temp may just be the same thing as his fuel temp issue, it should be degrees celsius. Sometimes the unit can get accidentally changed without noticing. It's a quick fix.
    I was scanning with a JB4. That could be the issue. I will try with the VCM Scanner...

Advanced Tuner

WB CMD EQ Issue.PNG

spark issue.PNG

Fuel temp issue.PNG

Desired Boost.PNG

MAF CAL.PNG

Thank you,

Matt Bosserman
    Matt,

Your engine is a VQ35HR, not a DE. That being said it does not have a turbo and anything related to boost will not be applicable to your engine.