Thread: Real time laptime difference

Potential Tuner

Real time laptime difference

Hi,

I am a new user of RaceRender, and I'd like to see a time difference between the current lap and the so-far best lap time in the session that will updated in real time. I was able to find a field in my gps data for this (Starlane) and if I assign it to a simple timer I can see the real difference changes. I would like however to get it a bit more sophisticated so that when it is negative it will be green and red when it is positive. I understand this is done via a script. I tried to modify an existing script (static lap difference) but I was not able to assign this field to it. I would appreciate any help on this - or where I can learn it.

Thanks in advance,
    Itay
    Last edited by irousso; 12-24-2020 at 08:31 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by irousso View Post
    Hi,

I am a new user of RaceRender, and I'd like to see a time difference between the current lap and the so-far best lap time in the session that will updated in real time. I was able to find a field in my gps data for this (Starlane) and if I assign it to a simple timer I can see the real difference changes. I would like however to get it a bit more sophisticated so that when it is negative it will be green and red when it is positive. I understand this is done via a script. I tried to modify an existing script (static lap difference) but I was not able to assign this field to it. I would appreciate any help on this - or where I can learn it.

Thanks in advance,
    Itay
    Can you post a sample data file?

If you already have a field, you could try using the Bar Graph from this post: https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l=1#post571587

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the prompt reply.
    I've tried it, but the bar makes things a bit too crowded... no worries - I have now the diff time showing up as a simple number. It would be cool to have it change color based on whether the delta is positive or negative... I am sure it is doable.. :-) - but I guess for now - I will leave it a simple text
    Cheers,
    Itay

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks for the prompt reply.
    I've tried it, but the bar makes things a bit too crowded... no worries - I have now the diff time showing up as a simple number. It would be cool to have it change color based on whether the delta is positive or negative... I am sure it is doable.. :-) - but I guess for now - I will leave it a simple text
    Cheers,
    Itay
    You could try something like this if you're just looking for the text: Text - Delta.rro

If you don't want the black outline, just remove the // in front of SetTextOutline in the Foreground Script. If you want extra decimal places, change the 2 on the second line to however many decimals you want.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboBob View Post
    You could try something like this if you're just looking for the text: Text - Delta.rro

If you don't want the black outline, just remove the // in front of SetTextOutline in the Foreground Script. If you want extra decimal places, change the 2 on the second line to however many decimals you want.
    Thanks!! That's exactly what I meant!
    Any idea why when I add it and select the field (This Lap vs Cur Best Lap) - everything becomes very very slow. Like the software freeze for some time then it continues? Is it my computer? because I have no problems when viewing this field as a simple text (without color change)
    Itay
    Last edited by irousso; 12-25-2020 at 12:24 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks!! That's exactly what I meant!
    Any idea why when I add it and select the field (This Lap vs Cur Best Lap) - everything becomes very very slow. Like the software freeze for some time then it continues? Is it my computer? because I have no problems when viewing this field as a simple text (without color change)
    Itay
    Hmm...that seems strange. There isn't that much going on in the script (just 4-5 actual statements; nothing remotely close to some of the other large ones that I use often that have 1000+), so I wouldn't think it would make a big difference. I've noticed that when I first press play, RaceRender takes a second or two to load the video from disk before it actually plays (even on a SSD), but that shouldn't be affected by one custom display object, but I'm not sure that I've used RaceRender without custom display objects for quite some time; so maybe that's just something I'm accustomed to at this point. Other users have complained about the program not fully utilizing their computers when rendering, but I haven't heard much about previews.

For reference, the computer I use was about as good as you could get 6 years ago, but I haven't upgraded anything since then. Working on building a new one once parts come back in stock...