Thread: Where can i find a "LMF" stock tune?

Tuner in Training

Where can i find a "LMF" stock tune?

I'm in a little bit of a conundrum here. I've assembled a 5.3 engine that is identical to a LMF. Same cam, heads, intake, injectors, etc.

Because of my manual transmission and several other issues, I'm starting with a LS3 operating system. I'll need to copy the tables over by hand from a LMF tune.

Trouble is, there's no LMF tunes in the repository! The LMF was only found in the 2010-2014 Express vans with all-wheel-drive, which makes it a rather rare beast. I don't see many vans around anyway, and trying to find one equipped with a LMF would be looking for a needle in a haystack. Then there'd be the question whether a random stranger would let me plug into their obd2 port...

What route would you suggest to find this particular tune?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kipps View Post
    ... I'll need to copy the tables over by hand from a LMF tune. ... The LMF was only found in the 2010-2014 Express vans with all-wheel-drive, which makes it a rather rare beast...

The 5.3L LMF was used in Express and Savana vans beginning in 2008.

It was also used in rear wheel drive (two wheel drive) vans.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon S. View Post
    The 5.3L LMF was used in Express and Savana vans beginning in 2008.

It was also used in rear wheel drive (two wheel drive) vans.
    Wikipedia and OnAllCylinders both list only two applications for the LMF. 2010-14 Express vans with AWD, and 2010-14 Savannah vans with AWD.

What source are you looking at?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kipps View Post
    Wikipedia and OnAllCylinders both list only two applications for the LMF. 2010-14 Express vans with AWD, and 2010-14 Savannah vans with AWD.

What source are you looking at?

The 2008 Express 1500 5.3L LMF that I used to own, must have had the special order invisible AWD system.

Here is a photo from a search of wrecking yard inventory ...

2008 Express 1500 5.3L LMF.jpg

Tuner in Training
    The 2008 Express 1500 5.3L LMF that I used to own, must have had the special order invisible AWD system.

Here is a photo from a search of wrecking yard inventory ...
    Interesting. I wonder if there's any more accurate engine lists available, now that I can no longer trust the ones I was using.

So basically, I'm looking for a 2008-2014 6-lug van with a v8 engine, confirmed by a "4" in the eight position of the VIN.

Senior Tuner
    I wouldn't be too hung up on finding the LMF tune. Most any of the 2010-up 5.3L have VVT and use those same injectors. The DOD can easily be disabled in the tune.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    I wouldn't be too hung up on finding the LMF tune. Most any of the 2010-up 5.3L have VVT and use those same injectors. The DOD can easily be disabled in the tune.
    I actually do have a stock 2010 LMG tune, since that's what my donor truck was originally. I deleted the AFM by using a LMF camshaft.

I was hoping to use a LMF tune, so I can start out as nearly stock as possible, then do some tuning from there. My intake, exhaust, etc, is all so close to stock, that the LMF tune should be pretty much perfect right out of the box.

I'm assuming the LMG tune and the LMF tune are a bit different because of the different cam profiles. The LMF has a significantly lower lift.

Advanced Tuner
    GM did not create a unique camshaft for the LMF engine. That camshaft was used on many engines between 2007 and 2017. Some examples include: LY2 4.8L, L20 4.8L, LH8 5.3L, LH9 5.3L, LY5 5.3L.

Finding OEM based tuning data for this setup is not the "needle in a haystack" that you have somehow been led to believe.

2008 to 2017 Express 1500 - camshaft.jpg

Tuner in Training
    GM did not create a unique camshaft for the LMF engine. That camshaft was used on many engines between 2007 and 2017. Some examples include: LY2 4.8L, L20 4.8L, LH8 5.3L, LH9 5.3L, LY5 5.3L.
    I wasn't thinking about the aluminum engines. It stands to reason those would have the same flow characteristics and tune as their iron-block brothers.

The LH8 does not have VVT, so I'll pass on that one. The LY5 has AFM, no VVT, and is showing a different camshaft, so that's a no-go. The 4.8's won't be a "drop-in" tune either. The LH9 looks promising. It appears to be identical to the LMF, but with an aluminum block, which shouldn't negatively affect the situation any. I'm seeing plenty of 2010-12 Colorado 5.3 engines in the repository, so those should be my best bet.

Advanced Tuner
    The best method is to use Wide Band Oxygen Sensor data, and actually tune the engine. The "copy and paste" approach may get you close enough for a decent starting point.

Tuner in Training
    The best method is to use Wide Band Oxygen Sensor data, and actually tune the engine. The "copy and paste" approach may get you close enough for a decent starting point.
    Since I'm using stock intake, exhaust, cam, heads, etc, I'm hoping it's going to be better than "close enough." It should be pretty close to factory if done right. I agree that a wideband would be best, but I found a good deal on a non-pro mpvi2, so a wideband isn't as easy. My hope, is that this factory tune will get me running good, and hauling a few loads with this truck. I can worry about the ultimate fine-tuning later.

I'm not building a max-hp engine. It's intended for towing and general run-around in an older k20 squarebody truck. I'm trying to make up for a small engine with plenty of gearing. If I can keep the exhaust quiet, I'll be more willing to run high rpm's to compensate for the lower torque of a 5.3 engine. I've got a nv4500 transmission with a 5.61 first gear, 4.10 axle ratios, and 33" tires. It should pull good, as long as I'm willing to spool it a bit.

Advanced Tuner
    Assuming you're using an E38 for this, grab an AEM X-Series OBDII setup and it'll be plug n play via the OBDII connector. You don't need an analog input for it as it interfaces with the MPVI2 and VCM Scanner via CAN+OBDII port.

It'll be close, but as Jon suggested, using a WBO2 to actually tune fueling will always net better results. GM built the factory calibrations to work decently for thousands of engines with thousands of tolerances/variances with a focus on economy, not power.

That'll be plenty of gear, I think you'll find a stockish 5.3 LS plenty powerful in that application.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    Assuming you're using an E38 for this, grab an AEM X-Series OBDII setup and it'll be plug n play via the OBDII connector. You don't need an analog input for it as it interfaces with the MPVI2 and VCM Scanner via CAN+OBDII port.

It'll be close, but as Jon suggested, using a WBO2 to actually tune fueling will always net better results. GM built the factory calibrations to work decently for thousands of engines with thousands of tolerances/variances with a focus on economy, not power.

That'll be plenty of gear, I think you'll find a stockish 5.3 LS plenty powerful in that application.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep that in mind when the time comes.

I'm confident the 5.3 will be excellent for running around empty. It's the potential trailer weight of 12,000 pounds that has me a little more concerned. I know I'm pushing into diesel territory here, but folks used to do this all the time with small-block 350's...