Thread: 2010 LMM tune getting slight smoke

2010 LMM tune getting slight smoke

So I know the diesel threads are kind of dead and I am fairly new to the diesel tuning. Some great reads out there. Anyway, has anyone experienced any smoke at all out of a 20/20 tune? This one has 50%btdc with 10% boost and 20% fuel. I've attached if anyone could take a look that has had more experience. I am thinking of adding another 5% boost to bring down EGTs which arent bad but, in efforts to help burn the fuel and clean up the smoke. Not looking for a race truck just a good clean tune. I am getting soot on my quarter panel (white truck). 5" straight, and EGR is still active. Truck was bone stock up til a month ago and had never smoked prior no matter how hard was on it, so fairly confident nothing is going wrong. Logs looked normal.

Thanks in advance to anyone can lend a hand hopefully.

Attached stock file for same truck. Thanks all in advance.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Stroked06Goat View Post
    So I know the diesel threads are kind of dead and I am fairly new to the diesel tuning. Some great reads out there. Anyway, has anyone experienced any smoke at all out of a 20/20 tune? This one has 50%btdc with 10% boost and 20% fuel. I've attached if anyone could take a look that has had more experience. I am thinking of adding another 5% boost to bring down EGTs which arent bad but, in efforts to help burn the fuel and clean up the smoke. Not looking for a race truck just a good clean tune. I am getting soot on my quarter panel (white truck). 5" straight, and EGR is still active. Truck was bone stock up til a month ago and had never smoked prior no matter how hard was on it, so fairly confident nothing is going wrong. Logs looked normal.

Thanks in advance to anyone can lend a hand hopefully.
    Do not use a 50/50 calculator, instead go back to stock and review stock timing values in it for some reference, negative/low timing can really help spool the turbo and make the truck drive and respond better. Another big no no IMO is changing your injector PW map right off the start, especially while being on stock injectors or before having maxed your torque based fuel map. Make fueling changes to your torque based fuel tables where you want more fuel/power, load it and see how it does then maybe change the timing some and see how that does. Once you've maxed those tables to 120mm3 and you still want more fuel then start changing the PW map, but only in the areas where you want/need more fuel.

Very very interesting. I like this approach better and this is some great information. It makes sense to me as well. One question with this method, can I assume the overall increase on fuel is (even loosely) related to the increase of horsepower? Again i am not making a race truck and is all stock components (including transmission with 200k) though has the 5" straight exhaust. Many thanks as well for your advice.

111120 pm.hpl

So here is a log. Did a little timing change I think i had a table mis-copied on the lo alt timing. Anyway, what am i missing on the main injection timing. Trying log timing in the cruise cells to see where its at, so i can start to clear up some smoke when i get into the throttle. Its fueling too much before it boosts. Any thoughts anyone? Still learning this diesel stuff. Thanks!
    2006 GTO 403ci lsa heads kooks long tubes corsa ss exhaust OTR intake HPTuned

2010 GMC Sierra LMM Duramax. Exhaust and tuned

Sorry.... By 'what am i missing' is the values seem very low compared to the timing I am trying to throw at it. Is "Main Injector Timing" the wrong PID to be using? Overall seems to be logging well truck has great response. Just wanting clean up that smoke. EGT's are good (empty no trailer). Only towed a camper once with it and wasnt alarming so the tune overall seems be decent. Thanks all. Trying get a better handle on what i am looking at here.

2010 White Dmax Flashed w following file_ 1215323256 Mcrats 2020 Rev 4 NO EGR with added boost.hpt0913am.hpl

So I was able to revisit and do some adjustments. Thanks Jaeger for those thoughts. I applied much of that and the truck is much more responsive (though not sure about where you'd choose low/neg timing to encourage turbo spooling)..
    I may pull the fueling back a bit as when i romp it does seem to smoke a bit more than i'd like. Before i had a slight transient puff. Love the throttle response though and is much more peppy down bottom. I've attached my current tune and a log. I need iron out my PIDS as for some reason they dropped half of them when opening in the latest version of HPT. Truck is running healthy and EGTS are reasonable with the added fuel with increasing torque based fuel... also upped my boost to combat EGT's. I can see 1350-1400 in short bursts WOT, but not horrible. 35-36lbs of boost. Overall feels decent, and has not yet limped (my goal as i want longevity).