Thread: Newbie seeking advice, direction, criticism.

Potential Tuner

Newbie seeking advice, direction, criticism.

Hello, I'm Tom. if there is a Newbie spot for gen3 tuning, i missed it so starting here. I have a 2000, LM7/4l60E swap into an 83 El Camino. It's DBC, has shorty headers, egr, evap delete, 36 lb per hr injectors, Dual exhaust with x-pipe, 4" Intake. I used an Ls7 card/slot type maf sensor, non return fuel rail and corvette filter/regulator. I have two ecm's to work with and have two credits. Ecm 1, currently in vehicle. i did not flash this one, i sent it out just for something to start with.
    1st issue) Every time it runs it shows PO 353 (then starts missing) and I have already chased every possibility there externally.
    2nd issue Po102, my maf info.
    What was supposed to be done to Ecm1 was typical deletes, input for correct injectors (36#), but eng tune was to be left stock, the trans portion of tune i asked shifting be improved, plan on towing and street fun, dunno if that happened.
    I've looked at vids and searched posts, if there's a link or post I did not search for right,??
    But here is what i've concluded, what i know, what im after. I would prefer to just start over with untouched ECm2. I've already corrected the incorrect, tire/size & gear ratio, fuel capacity, change fan enable temps etc, shut off the dtc's & disables needed, input the correct info for the ls7 MAF sensor vs not and going VE I'm still trying to asses properly. but before i do that Im trying to figure out how the tune looks in ECM1 if its worth flashing into ecm2? Are there changes to the shift setting? Are the tables for fuel enrichment indeed for the injectors i'm using with a stock profile? is it worth taking the risk on ECM1 considering the nuisance miss & PO353 code? Under the impression when everything else has been eliminated most likely internal in the ECM? And lastly The LS7 maf info.
    I briefly plugged in the MAF sensor at about 9:56, and for whatever reason it never started to miss during the scan at all that i could tell.. i was concerned about the red areas registering on bank 1.
    I was happy with the way it shifted if its not the stock shifting points. 3)stock ECM2

1) elky_ecm_1.hpt 2) 1sttestrun08_31.hpl 3) elky_ecm_2.hpt

The next files are 1) what Iv'e changed so far but not flashed, 2) The file i took the LS7 MAF numbers from, and 3) the table i found for ls7 to ls1 iat. I dont know if ive gotten to all the right places and changed whats needed for the MAF sensor

1) My_ECM_2-1stpgm.hpt 2) Read 5.30.18.hpt 3) 2007 IAT converted to LS1 percentage axis rev a.xlsx

Anything that can be helpful is appreciated i am excited to be learning the new ways of tuning and im sure ill have to look up, research, get a good understanding of some of your responses.
    Thank You in advance.
    Last edited by corona_camino; 09-22-2020 at 05:19 PM.

The attachments are not opening currently. If you need help and want to learn with a semi-Hands on approach, send me a private message and I can help get your car running and in the right direction

Potential Tuner
    OK, trying again. ECM1 elky_ecm_1.hpt TEST RUN 1sttestrun08_31.hpl ECM2 (stock) elky_ecm_2.hpt
    Last edited by corona_camino; 09-20-2020 at 10:13 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Yay for google i think it worked. What i have so far but not flashed My_ECM_2-1stpgm.hpt File I'm using the maf data from Read 5.30.18.hpt the excel chart for iat 2007 IAT converted to LS1 percentage axis rev a.xlsx

Internet says the estimated reading time for that wall-of-text up there is 6 minutes. And that's just to read it through to the end, before any research on individual issues or looking up documents from the service manual or downloading and examining your files. Didn't help that the attachments didn't work first time. People's time is scarce. Be concise.

Potential Tuner
    Apologies.. Many. What I originally typed, seemed to duplicate entirely and various parts like 4 times. Thought I had it figured out. & Thanks Maxx.