Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RPM limit 2014 5.0 mustang

RPM limit 2014 5.0 mustang

Eforce coyote, will not go over 7000 RPM. Torque source goes from driver demand to oil over temp. No setting that I can find in tune will change it. EOT is only referenced in cam timing and DCFO. This is not pump gas if the timing numbers looks scary. Hp is still going up on dyno, would like a little more RPM. Log and and tune file attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Try returning the RPM limit EOT axis back to stock.

Russ Kemp

Axis change was recent, actually today on dyno and I forgot to switch it back. But it had no change in the problem

Senior Tuner
    OS tab> RPM limit patch, try that.

RPM Patch was applied awhile back. Turns out the the axis change on EOT was not something I changed recently when going through my tune files. I will need to change that and report back.

Senior Tuner
    The tune file you posted does not have the patch applied. The option to apply it goes away in the new .hpt file you are suppose to save it as.

RPM patch.PNG

After clicking apply RPM patch, follow the directions that pop up, exactly.

OS patch.PNG

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    not sure how much RPM you want to reach, but if anything above 7500 then yes apply patch

but your rev limit settings need to be adjust both engine and trans
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

I doubt I am needing above 7500, currently with the EOT column turned back to stock 400 deg in all columns, Goes to Torque source = EOT before any other limiter reached. I have logged as late as 7100 and as low as 6800, but not near the 7600 EOT limit I have selected. As far as the patch applied, I will check into that, I am sure I could done that wrong, but as the tune showed "patch applied" when looking at that option I assumed it was applied.

patch.PNG

Thats what I see

Running into a similar issue on same year model car. I applied the patch and it shows up the same way on mine. Looks like you did it right.
    HP-Unlimited Tuning and Custom Fabrication
    Houston area performance parts dealer
    MD800 Mustang Dyno 713-560-3889 Taylor
    2016 Camaro A8 "shop car" FIRST 6th GEN CAMARO OVER 200mph IN THE MILE 203.5mph

Just opened your tune. When I view the OS patch in your file it shows "old patch" in the drop down. May have to flash stock then rewrite entire with the new patch applied.
    You also have some transmission settings that could be causing this.
    Last edited by silverbullet08; 09-21-2020 at 03:52 PM.
    HP-Unlimited Tuning and Custom Fabrication
    Houston area performance parts dealer
    MD800 Mustang Dyno 713-560-3889 Taylor
    2016 Camaro A8 "shop car" FIRST 6th GEN CAMARO OVER 200mph IN THE MILE 203.5mph

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapo View Post
    I doubt I am needing above 7500, currently with the EOT column turned back to stock 400 deg in all columns, Goes to Torque source = EOT before any other limiter reached. I have logged as late as 7100 and as low as 6800, but not near the 7600 EOT limit I have selected. As far as the patch applied, I will check into that, I am sure I could done that wrong, but as the tune showed "patch applied" when looking at that option I assumed it was applied.
    What gear does this occur in? All of them? Why would the RPM change unless it's not an RPM based limit? I'd be doing some testing to narrow down the conditions this occurs, in all gears, at various temps just to be sure it's not a coincidence of sorts with the RPM.

If it were TOT wouldn't it show that as the source instead?

As far as Zapo having the Old Patch, he probably does. The RPM Patch was revised at end of last year from 8100 or so to "over 9000!" .
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

(+) Adding Knock Retard = Reducing Timing. PCM is seeing knock.
    (--) Lowering Knock Retard = Increasing Timing. PCM isn't seeing knock.
    __________________________________________________ ________

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.
    Don't fix it if it ain't broken | Maximum effort gets maximum results

Quote Originally Posted by blackbolt22 View Post
    What gear does this occur in? All of them? Why would the RPM change unless it's not an RPM based limit? I'd be doing some testing to narrow down the conditions this occurs, in all gears, at various temps just to be sure it's not a coincidence of sorts with the RPM. .

I have logged it in 1,2,3 gears. I have Never seen it hit at 6800 before this last change (EOT columns) but I was in traction control as the road was cold and I was spinning at the top of 2nd. Torque source went from Traction to EOT at 6800. I will have to get it back on the dyno to do more testing, roads cold up here, this car is not crazy but 650 rwhp on normal street tire is enough that 7000 rpm testing on the road is not consistent. Normally on the dyno in 3rd gear it goes as far as 7100 before torque switch to EOT, but normally it is between 7000 and 7100.

I am starting to think there is actually a relationship between engine oil temp and how high it will rev. Almost like the table that I see which now has a 400 deg as axis is not the real table (as it also seems to affect nothing) and there is actually a real table that unlike some models is functional. I am going to log and see if I can prove this correlation between EOT and MAX RPM. In one evening of logging and trying to kill my self on cold roads I have seen 6800 to 7200 RPM logs with EOT becoming torque source. Foolishly I was not logging EOT. Will correct that and retry.

Quote Originally Posted by Zapo View Post
    I am starting to think there is actually a relationship between engine oil temp and how high it will rev. Almost like the table that I see which now has a 400 deg as axis is not the real table (as it also seems to affect nothing) and there is actually a real table that unlike some models is functional. I am going to log and see if I can prove this correlation between EOT and MAX RPM. In one evening of logging and trying to kill my self on cold roads I have seen 6800 to 7200 RPM logs with EOT becoming torque source. Foolishly I was not logging EOT. Will correct that and retry.
    It might not hurt to contact hpt support and them look at your file, I have found some strategy's do not play nice/are not mapped correctly and need the hpt engineers to fix things on their end...

Advanced Tuner
    Zapo, here are some of my thoughts and question(s) on this:

-My 14 GT Auto came with the same OS (just one revision newer - FSFD2AA). I've never seen this limit and had shifts at 7400. I left EOT axis at 400, and only ever raised RPM to => Cutoff(with all rows same).

-Is this your stock file modified by Edelbrock? Did you always have the EOT limit or did it show up after Edelbrock.. perhaps they changed something else.

-The param may be undefined in HPT. I don't think there's a whole lot of EOT limit scalars though...

-Does this occur in Neutral as well? Can you bring RPMs up slowly to get the EXACT RPM that's the threshold (this in itself may reveal valueable info) . You may want log just a few channels for the highest resolution on this. Knowing the value could help.

-Could EOT sensor be jacked up? If sensor isn't working I think it infers EOT.

-Again is it coincidence or really RPM that's the trigger?

-Be careful, wait till it warms up for high rpm testing. You could certainly let engine warm up some and do that Neutral test I mentioned though.
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

(+) Adding Knock Retard = Reducing Timing. PCM is seeing knock.
    (--) Lowering Knock Retard = Increasing Timing. PCM isn't seeing knock.
    __________________________________________________ ________

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.
    Don't fix it if it ain't broken | Maximum effort gets maximum results

I would raise the driver demand tables. Notice it cut fuel and close throttle starting at 7059 & 7086.. try scaling the driver demand above to atleast 7500 and drop it off there to start..

Could not log EOT, only had SAE pid and it had no data.

I did 3 data logs all were in "burnout" situation, transmission in Sport mode manual gear select. car has 3.15 gear, lots of smoke and wheel speed in second gear.

1. 1st gear cold tire, just starting to rain. Pegged 7500 Engine . RPM goes to 7500, hits main limiter, never seen EOT as torque source.fst gear 7500.hpl
    2. 2nd gear burn out, hot tire, slower RPM rise much more load, Hits EOT Limiter at 7000 RPM.2nd gear 7000.hpl
    3. 1st gear hot tire, A little more traction and load than first time, Hits 7500 main limiter, bounces back to 7300 RPM and switches to EOT limiter, then EOT present until under 7000 RPM.fst gear 7500 then oil 7000.hpl

Seems to be a small delay with EOT limiter that is causing my inconsistent RPM limits, still don't know how to adjust it.
    Last edited by Zapo; 09-22-2020 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbolt22 View Post
    Zapo, here are some of my thoughts and question(s) on this:

-Is this your stock file modified by Edelbrock? Did you always have the EOT limit or did it show up after Edelbrock.. perhaps they changed something else.

A. Modded Eforce file, but I have compared it to Eforce and not seen any difference in this area. I barely tuned the NA car before, did not go past 7000 RPM

-Does this occur in Neutral as well? Can you bring RPMs up slowly to get the EXACT RPM that's the threshold (this in itself may reveal valueable info) . You may want log just a few channels for the highest resolution on this. Knowing the value could help.

A. Can do this.

-Could EOT sensor be jacked up? If sensor isn't working I think it infers EOT.

A. will check with Snap on Scanner and see, right now Hp Does not seem to offer the EOT pid on this one.

Raised Demand tables, no real change. Here is 2 Neutral logs. Seems to hit Engine limiter first tap and then EOT
    Attached Files Attached Files