Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RPM limit 2014 5.0 mustang

Advanced Tuner
    Those tests were good. They literally showcase the issue. There appears to be a short time when there's no EOT limit.

From what I can tell EOT must be raising past a threshold and then the limiter kicks in to keep RPMs 7000 or under.

Do you have RPM Limit EOT Based table set to 7600? Why isn't THAT the target rpm limit? If so, there must be another stage to the EOT protection code that may not be defined that if exceeded is coded (or undefined) to limit to 7000 rpms.

Overall, I think we need to see what the car 'thinks' EOT is because of the way it's behaving. I can't imagine the actual oil temp heating up and cooling down that fast so maybe it's 'inferring' incorrectly. Do we even have an oil temp sensor on these? If so that would need to be checked.

Just trying to be helpful!
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

(+) Adding Knock Retard = Reducing Timing. PCM is seeing knock.
    (--) Lowering Knock Retard = Increasing Timing. PCM isn't seeing knock.
    __________________________________________________ ________

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.
    Don't fix it if it ain't broken | Maximum effort gets maximum results

Quote Originally Posted by blackbolt22 View Post
    Those tests were good. They literally showcase the issue. There appears to be a short time when there's no EOT limit.

From what I can tell EOT must be raising past a threshold and then the limiter kicks in to keep RPMs 7000 or under.

Do you have RPM Limit EOT Based table set to 7600? Why isn't THAT the target rpm limit? If so, there must be another stage to the EOT protection code that may not be defined that if exceeded is coded (or undefined) to limit to 7000 rpms.

Overall, I think we need to see what the car 'thinks' EOT is because of the way it's behaving. I can't imagine the actual oil temp heating up and cooling down that fast so maybe it's 'inferring' incorrectly. Do we even have an oil temp sensor on these? If so that would need to be checked.

Just trying to be helpful!
    I agree. "why isn't THAT the target rpm limit". With the EOT table value being 7600 across all values and the axis being all 400 deg it really should not be a factor (according to what we can see in the tune). RPM is not at 7600 when EOT limit is active and oil temp is not 400 deg. I will scan today and make sure EOT is actually showing a real and valid number, but with both RPM limit and temp way above actual, this EOT table in the tune is not in effect. I also did try 7400 in EOT limit values just in case numbers over 7500 were being ignored due to other limits, but no change.

Senior Tuner
    I wonder if having a P219A code is putting you in some FMEM mode changing your RPM limiter.

Oil Overtemp Torque source comes from a table we do not have mapped, and in every copperhead I have looked at, it was maxed from the factory. Checking yours now.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

And bingo, yours is set to 7,000, but not sure how. Did they tune come from someone else? Factory this calibration does not have this limit lowered to have any effect, hence whey I never put it in the software.

Adding it now for this strategy....
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

^ this is why you contact support when when they tables you have don't work

Quote Originally Posted by LastPlace View Post
    ^ this is why you contact support when when they tables you have don't work
    Agreed. Fortunately I was checking the forum today. Doesn't happen often.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Grab the latest beta. This is a screenshot of the newly added table opening your tune file.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Set the whole table to 8000

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric@HPTuners View Post
    Grab the latest beta. This is a screenshot of the newly added table opening your tune file.
    You da man Eric, thanks!

Looks like factory settings are normally 16,000 across the entire table. This is why it's never been an issue for anyone.

Zapo, since my stock OS didn't have this limit, I feel pretty confident this was added in the Calibration they sent you... but why!!??!!
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.

Thanks so much for the help, Will load and confirm next time in the Mustang. This tune did begin with Edelbrock eforce track kit about 2 years ago.

It works, thanks for the support. Now it goes back on the dyno to see if 7500 is enough to find peak power. I guess I should probably find out the max RPM of this wimpy little E-force 2.3L blower before I get too crazy here. But it had not peaked at 7000 so I wanted to spin it a little harder on the dyno, now I can.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapo View Post
    It works, thanks for the support. Now it goes back on the dyno to see if 7500 is enough to find peak power. I guess I should probably find out the max RPM of this wimpy little E-force 2.3L blower before I get too crazy here. But it had not peaked at 7000 so I wanted to spin it a little harder on the dyno, now I can.
    I'm glad it's fixed. Yes please follow up with the results!! I love to hear about performance gains!

Quote Originally Posted by blackbolt22 View Post
    I'm glad it's fixed. Yes please follow up with the results!! I love to hear about performance gains!
    Only picked up a few hp. Peak hp was 7300 rpm. Still will allow for a better shift point at the track. It a tenth here and a tenth there.

Advanced Tuner
    Make sure your tire size calculations and NV/H are absolutely perfect or you will run into RPM limit issues. Also raise your oss limits, trans max rpm limit, and set the limit in the normal, tow/haul, ect to 8000. I don?t have my laptop because I?m at work. But there?s like 2-4 engine limiters and a bunch of trans limiters on the Auto cars.