Thread: Looking for TT ls1 tune help.

Potential Tuner

Looking for TT ls1 tune help.

Current set up is a 2002 LS1 forged, studded. Huron speed v3 twin turbo kit with Turbonetics 78/68 on 18psi springs. LS3 stage 3 blower cam due to previous supercharger. 3600 stall and 3.73 gears. Car ran 10.72 @128 on 7psi and 100hp of NOS with supercharger. Now I have the TT and having issues with tune. I am looking for any advice and any help. Thanks in advance.TT idle timing.hpttony TT run.hpl

Do I need to read your mind or will you tell us what these "issues" are???

All I can tell you is that you are pretty darn lean in boost, you're going to hurt something running 12.6-13.0 AFR with this amount of boost/power.

The VE table needs some help and more information on what injectors you have installed. The big dip down low in the VE can happen with huge injectors that have the wrong data in there as well as needing to cut the min fuel milligrams in half to help with rich idle. The timing curves need to be better too, those are rough.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Sorry as I said Im very new to this.
    I have 160# injectors from HP Injectors and the data that they provided is what I put in. GM_-_160lb.xlsx
    Ok my issues are as follows;
    1. have to pat gas pedal to get it to start intermittently.
    2. About every 45 sec to 1 min the idle will drop way down and almost die. The widebands will show lean when this happens.
    3. when I put in gear it will Idle up to over 1000rpm.
    4. when taking off from a stop it will stumble like its gonna die then take off.
    5. While cruising if i let off then get back on throttle it will go super lean and cut out for a second or 2 before picking back up.
    This is as far as ive gotten so far. I guess a few more detail would help. The engine is built with forged -6cc pistons, gen 4 rods, ARP head studs, LS9 head gaskets, 30 thousandths ring gap, Ported 243 heads, LS6 intake. I am running 2 turbonetics 78/68 turbos with 2 50mm turbosmart BOVs and 2 46mm Precision turbo Wastegates with 18lb springs. Cam is a BTR LS3 stage 3 centrifugal supercharger cam. don't have specs right here but I can get them if needed.
    The car is a 2002 camaro A4 with 3600 stall. Again thank you in advance for any and all help you can give. Was planning on a professional tune but some personal family issues have made that impossible for now.
    If any more info is needed feel free to ask and I will provide whatever I can.

Advanced Tuner
    TonyV .... allow me to make a suggestion. You have spent a boat load of money on this build - and you will likely cause harm (from excessive wear to catastrophic damage) by driving it around the way it is.

Depending on where you are located - the cost of a dyno tune would likely fall in the $350 to $600 range - a tiny amount of money, compared to the overall build cost.

I twin turbo LS build is not the platform for a beginner to use as a learning experience - unless you are fully prepared to learn at the potential expense of your wallet.

Potential Tuner
    I have realized that and thats why its currently parked. I am looking for someone to tune it as well as learn how to tune myself. There is no substitute for personal knowledge. Im not asking anyone here to tune it for me only to offer pointers and helpful suggestions. If I can learn what needs to be done, what changes need to be made and why they need to be made then to me thats worth time and effort. again im not asking anyone to do my work just point me in the proper directions. Thank you for your honesty and feedback.
    TT tune changes 1.hpt
    this is the changes ive made today.

Advanced Tuner
    I personally agree with what Jon said. There is really a lot to learn with tuning. I would be best to learn on like a stock NA engine and then maybe a cam or something to get the hang of how everything works and what different changes do. It is a lot easier to hurt a boosted engine than a NA one. If you decide to tune it yourself I would change a few things right off the bat. You should change the open loop eq table to what factory is, that would be a good starting point. It should be a value of 1 from like 140 on up. I would put the power enrichment eq ratio at 1.18 and boost eq you could set up 1.2 at 105 kpa and interpolate to 1.32 at 205. Your spark table is way too much. You sure don't want 25 degrees of timing like you have set up in there. I would also drop your idle timing down to like 20 degrees. The VE table is pretty wack also. You have a 48 in one cell and 16 in a cell right next to it. You want it to be a nice smooth slope. You can make adjustments to it and then smooth it so it looks nice. Good luck

Two things commonly overlooked as essential in turbo applications

1. The engine needs a proper PCV system. dollars to donuts you do not have the crankcase properly connected to the inlet of the turbochargers for fresh air and pcv in boost.
    2. You need to perform a pressure test. Pressurize the entire intercooler plumbing, from one compressor to the other. Block the inlet of 1 compressor and add pressure to the other one, fill the entire intercooler and intake manifold with 20 to 25psi of pressure. it should hold that pressure somewhat easily (a few seconds at least) and you can fix all the little leaks.

before tuning you should take care of these

Advanced Tuner
    yeah for sure, I have found leaks multiple times on the intake manifold gaskets. The later maybe like 03 or 04 and up gaskets are better. I have also had leaks in the brake booster.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you all for your help I am in the process of checking all things that were brought up. The PCV is dual 10AN one from each valve cover to a catch can vented to atmosphere. If it needs to be ran to turbo inlets I can do that after the catch can. Again I thank you all for the positive feedback and actual help. I know its easy to just say let someone else do it but thats not how I was raised. I dont have alot of money to throw at things, it may seem it due to the motor and turbo kit in the car but honestly due to trading I only have about 1500.00 in the entire twin turbo kit. I have built everything in this car from the rear diff, trans, and motor. I have always built my own cars and I always will. Its refreshing to find people willing to help someone learn and share their knowledge. thanks again.