Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eurodyne to HP Tuners.. Lots to learn!

Tuner in Training

Wink Eurodyne to HP Tuners.. Lots to learn!

Right now I am tuning my 500whp/500ft-lb GTX30 built motor GTI with DP meth, APR injectors, walbro 450, stock HPFP. Just wanted to say hi to everyone, as I will probably have a lot of questions in the weeks to come. I am an amateur tuner; I have tuned my car as well as several others' cars on Eurodyne and would consider myself pretty savvy with Maestro. That all being said, Maestro is very limited as far as the available maps and tables go. And even with the limited access to the ecu, several of the tables don't have an effect on anything. So here I am.. HP tuners MPVI in hand and ready to jump in. I have noticed right off the bat that the logging software is eons better than Eurodyne and at first glance, it seems like it gives way more access to the ECU. I am trying to spend a little time learning the software in and out before I start writing files to the ECU as a lot of the stuff looks foreign to me. It runs good WOT on eurodyne, but the driveability has some points of concern. When the meth comes in (14psi) if I am at transient throttle it will bog because of the blow-out/richness until the ECU gathers its thoughts and then it goes away. If i am wot, it will power right through it. So one of my goals in using HP tuners is to try and combat that. I have tried adjusting the MAF curve, but it happens at different loads and different RPMs, so hopefully I can pull like 10-20% of fuel out at the point when this is happening. Also looking forward to learning how to tune my IE intake manifold. Eurodyne didn't have the available maps to really do anything with it, so my cold starts are fun . Anyways, just wanted to start a thread I can ask questions on. Look forward to getting to know some of you gurus out there!

Darrin

Advanced Tuner
    Welcome

post up your stock file and a log of the car if you have a chance, id be interested in helping you tune it to learn how these systems function

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerJDubbs View Post
    Welcome

post up your stock file and a log of the car if you have a chance, id be interested in helping you tune it to learn how these systems function
    Bump for Tylers skills and endless patience and hurrah for another convert from the blech side!

I also dumped the ED software and tunes for favor of more versatility and ease of use! My only regret... not doing it before I wasted the time and effort on ED!

Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride!

Ken

Welcome, I also went down the Maestro path, and was horribly disappointed for my 2013 2.0T CC DSG. Praying to the HPT gods that my operating system on the engine side will be supported. DSG looks to be. I can't wait to actually have some real tables to play with and much more data to log with. APR KO4 on it, and it is brutal when it comes in now, would like to soften that up and actually do some tuning on the DSG compared to ED's pre-loaded trans files.
    www.crawford-racing.com
    Home of the original and best selling CR-Fueler plug and play port injection controller kits for all GM Gen V direct injection platforms.

Tuner in Training
    Yeah man for sure. I def need help. The only thing I?ve ever tuned on was eurodyne and a little bit of cobb, but just used cobb to change the maps I was used to In ED. First thing is I need to scale in my maf (larger housing). The maf cal table axis is very different than maestro I have the top of my curve in maestro at 5400, on hp tuners it only lets me get it to like 3600. I also noticed the frequency axis goes way higher in HPT, so I?m confused because when I copy the values from stock maf curve they match the stock values from eurodyne map (duh it just read it from the ecu) buttttt I can scale eurodyne up to the 5400 I need and i can?t in good tuners. Anyone come across this? My laptop is in car. Will post files and pics in morning. And yes Tyler. I am def happy to have the help. At least on the first go around.

Tuner in Training
    Also trying to figure out if a 3 or 4 bar map snsr is possible. I see there is nothing in the ?OS? tab for my ecu. Right now I have to use my standalone gauge to log boost (which works, but not efficient)

And where is the base lambda map? Is it the ?after start? table? If so that?s surprising cuz it?s not load/torque based.
    Last edited by Sauce118; 09-22-2020 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Add

Tuner in Training
    bump with original ECU read. Having trouble getting images to load.. Still need to get some logs. Trying to learn the software before i flash a file. Still rocking ED right now...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Welcome

Yeah man, I really need help with my MAF. I scaled it a bit to get the car running but it runs like shit. Car wouldn't run on the stock file. I am also using cortex EBC for boost by gear, so I am running my WGDC and feedback through that. I have it set to gate right now (1 bar) for the first logs. I normally run about 40psi. Is it common to engage the PE earlier and quicker to get into richer fuel ratios? Right now scaling my maf is really limiting me to running any logs that are even worth looking at. I was thinking maybe i will try to force open loop and just start out slow and try to dial in the maf curve based on fuel ratios and load, but that will take forever. Hoping someone has a better method. Like i said, I aleardy have done this on ED and I have the values I need, HP tuners just wont let me input values that high, so it confuses me. Any help is appreciated.

Advanced Tuner
    can you post your current tuned file and logs of the vehicle?

Tuner in Training
    I will post a log after work today. But I cannot get the boost to build. It only builds like 8-9 psi. I have tried altering the tables and values I think need to be changed but still no joy. Was trying to get the boost at least to WG pressure for a good log.

Advanced Tuner
    lol my dumbass just realized you're an MED17 MK6, lots of documentation on this ECU here already.

get some logs, scan codes, and post your base and I will guide you through

Tuner in Training
    Will do after work. Thanks man!!!!

Tuner in Training
    OK so here is my original read file, the file im currently running, and a log with various rpms and loads (including 2 WOT) pulls. Its hard to get a WOT log thats worth while right now. I keep hitting an overboost condition and it turns the turbo off, which is confusing because I am running an EBC so I am not sure how its doing that. Also, I notice that after lifting off the throttle, it takes like 3-4 seconds sometimes before fuel cutoff is engaged. I cant seem to find that table anywhere. The maf is scaled to where the car runs and will travel through the rpm ranges, but Im not so sure i did a good job scaling the maf. Fuel seems to look good. I have the PE set to .84 and the logs seem to match. But please let me know what you think. So far, other than overboost conditions, the car actually does what you ask it to in HP tuners, which is something im not used to in Eurodyne lol. Thanks again man.

Advanced Tuner
    [ECM] 34893 - Maximum Desired Load, Variant 0 and Variant 1.... you want this to track desired boost or because EBC and #SENDITMOD you can just max it and then disable underboost rec

[ECM] 32850 - Torque to Load... Your table is really high being at 300's you dont really need more than 255 under most conditions.

[ECM] 32900 - Optimum Engine Torque... Needs the load axis rescaled to match your torque to load output

ECM] 34911 - TIP Base Pressure... try to get this close to your wastegate spring pressure so the car drives nice part throttle also

ALSO! Try to find as many of these as possible

Name Value
    Engine RPM (SAE)
    Engine Coolant Temp (SAE)
    Radiator Coolant Temp
    Vehicle Speed (SAE)

Mass Airflow (SAE)
    Mass Airflow Period
    Desired MAP
    Desired Boost Pressure
    Boost Pressure
    Throttle Inlet Pressure Actual
    Manifold Absolute Pressure
    Intake Air Temp (SAE)
    Turbo Wastegate DC

Timing Advance (SAE)
    Spark Retard Cyl 1
    Spark Retard Cyl 2
    Spark Retard Cyl 3
    Spark Retard Cyl 4
    Total Misfires
    Intake Cam Angle
    Intake Cam Des Angle
    Intake Cam DC

Accelerator Pedal Position (Filtered)
    Accelerator Position D (SAE)
    Accelerator Position E (SAE)
    Commanded Throttle Actuator (SAE)
    Throttle Position (SAE)
    Absolute Throttle Position B (SAE)
    Relative Throttle Position (SAE)

Catalyst Temp B1S1 (SAE)
    Exhaust Gas Temperature
    Equivalence Ratio Commanded (SAE)
    Actual Lambda B1
    Fuel System #1 Status (SAE)
    Fuel System #2 Status (SAE)

DI Start Of Injection Angle (Intake)
    Injector Pulse Width
    Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1 (SAE)
    Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 1 (SAE)

Fuel Rail Pressure Desired
    Fuel Rail Pressure (SAE)
    Fuel Lift Pump Pressure Desired
    Low Fuel Pressure Actual
    High Pressure Fuel Pressure

Desired Load
    Absolute Load (SAE)
    Torque Request
    Calculated Engine Load (SAE)
    Clutch Torque
    Desired Wheel Torque
    TC Desired Torque
    Set Path Desired Torque
    Idle Desired RPM

Barometric Pressure (SAE)
    Ambient Air Temp (SAE)
    Engine Oil Temp
    Run Time Since Engine Start (SAE)
    Fan 1 Duty Cycle
    Control Module Voltage (SAE)
    Battery Voltage
    Number of Emission Related DTC (SAE)
    Monitor Status: Fuel System (SAE)
    Distance With MIL (SAE)
    Distance Since MIL Clear (SAE)
    Last edited by TylerJDubbs; 09-27-2020 at 10:26 AM.

Tuner in Training
    thanks man, really appreciate it. I will post back with results. When you say "try to find" all the pids, what do you mean? I can find them in the list, but when i choose it, no value is displayed. Am i doing something wrong? I am logging all available pids i think. I can go into VCDS and find a few more, but with HP tuners i dont know how to get them.
    Last edited by Sauce118; 09-26-2020 at 07:14 PM.

Tuner in Training
    feels good. still getting overboost around 30psi top of rpm range. does the file look good?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauce118 View Post
    feels good. still getting overboost around 30psi top of rpm range. does the file look good?
    your fueling is wack man, what maf are you running?

[ECM] 44317 - MAF Airflow vs. Period... return to stock unless you have a larger housing equipped

[ECM] 14890 - DI Injector Slope... lower this because of your APR injectors, I would start with -%20 and work your way from there

[ECM] 34911 - TIP Base Pressure... this map is absolute pressure not relative, unless your cracking pressure is basically atmospheric this has been adjusted incorrectly

and lastly ..... lower your boost until its close to dialed in on wastegate

Tuner in Training
    Yes I am running a larger housing. That?s one of my main issues is scaling the maf. And sounds good with adjusting the fueling due to apr injectors. My wastegate cracking pressure is 1bar, but holds about 17psi, that?s accurate then right? And boost is back to wastegate. Any idea on the overboost issues?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauce118 View Post
    Yes I am running a larger housing. That?s one of my main issues is scaling the maf. And sounds good with adjusting the fueling due to apr injectors. My wastegate cracking pressure is 1bar, but holds about 17psi, that?s accurate then right? And boost is back to wastegate. Any idea on the overboost issues?
    [ECM] 34911 - TIP Base Pressure its in absolute pressure... meaning you have to add atmospheric pressure to you wastegate pressure (E.G. 14.7Psi atmosphere + 17Psi spring = 31.7Psi or 2.156bar absolute<- this is what your tip base should be around)

ideally if you have a different maf housing and injectors you would want to go back to stock maf housing and dial in the injectors and then swap back to the larger housing and neutralize the MAF correction table ([ECM] 13600 - MAF Correction to 1.0001 in all cells) then dial in the new housing based on the newly calibrated injectors... if you're too lazy to do this you can always just neutralize the MAF correction table and add 10-20% to the maf scale and then start tuning the DI slope from scratch based on LTFT

P.S. I also noticed you changed the torque axis in your torque to load table but you didnt need to do that.... you needed to change the load axis in your optimum engine torque table
    Last edited by TylerJDubbs; 09-27-2020 at 09:50 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Welcome

Tyler is the man ... He just brought my beast to life ... and it is a very complex build with lots going on ... I'm simply amazed at the knowledge and skill he has to tune, and really REALLY knows this platform. My ride is a B8A4 Big Turbo build. Check out my IG build to see what he had to figure out to make it come to life.

IG @AlterdA4

Like many others my car was running on ED, sooo happy with the switch to HPT and a modern platform to log and tune with!