Thread: New to tuning - thinking about buying VCM Suite

Potential Tuner

New to tuning - thinking about buying VCM Suite

I'm not really super new to tuning, but I am new to doing my own. I've worked with several custom tune writers when purchasing tuning for my vehicles, so I have a vague understanding of graphs and tables and stuff. I just don't know much about "what goes where" for lack of a better term.

I've spent a TON of money on purchasing custom files from people and have had good experiences - but sometimes I feel like doing my own tuning would help me take things to the next level. I really want the ability to custom tailor how my vehicle runs, shifts, and drives without being a pest for constant revisions.

I'm afraid of really messing something up though. Honestly, that's the only thing that's held me back from purchasing HPT software. I'm afraid I'll make a mistake somewhere - overlook something - load a bunk tune, and end up doing a $5,000 oil change. Are there safeguards in place with the software to prevent this? Or can I really royally make a complete cluster-f if I make a mistake somewhere?

You can screw something up pretty good if you have zero clue what you are doing. Likely why it's not a good idea to make a change you don't fully understand.

Reading forums, taking a course and buying books is the best way to help yourself. The rest is hands on and learning what the tables do and how the data you gather in the scanner transfers over into the editor tables.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    ^^^What he said...
    Daily Driver= 2003 BMW 330xi
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)
    Project Car= 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS (LQ4 w/ Gen 4 Rods, LS3 heads, turbo...)
    Truck= 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT LY5 4x4

...nobody is going to teach you for free. google is all you need.

https://www.hpacademy.com/
    and
    https://thetuningschool.com/