Thread: idle surge every 5 minutes

idle surge every 5 minutes

Hello , i am tuning a 2010 6.1 that has been swapped to a 5.7 now idle surged and hunted and was having a hard time returning to idle with out fluctuating so i fixed most of this and fixed the ve to an extent . now it idles well and goes into gear and idles fine while cursing the only issue is that every 5 minutes or so of stable idle it would surge real bad and almost stall but it catches it self and the rpm goes to 1300 then it idles back fine then it repeats every 5 minutes or so what could be the issue of this the surge happens with no peddal input as well ? i try to fix ve in the idle area but not outside it
    attached is a log and tune i tried raising the rpm error from 320 to 550 to 720 but that didn't change anything i tried reducing the integral and proportional of spark and throttle but still this surge comes suddenly every few minutes hope some one can help
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by malikib; 09-25-2020 at 08:11 AM.

First, what injectors are you running?

Second, your VE table is all jacked up. You need to smooth it out a lot.

Third, what throttle body are you running, is it cammed?

Quote Originally Posted by luciddeath View Post
    First, what injectors are you running?

Second, your VE table is all jacked up. You need to smooth it out a lot.

Third, what throttle body are you running, is it cammed?
    The injectors are the stock 6.1 injectors so i left that stock and the intake maniflold is also the 6.1 with the throttle body but the rest of the block is a stock 5.7
    The ve is jacked up because i only changed it for the idle area until the surge is fixed then i will smooth it

A bad ve will cause surging. I would try smoothing it out more brother. Besides that a big key for good cam tuning on mopar is adjusting your friction torque table

so you might find help there on even a stock setup

A bad ve will cause surging. I would try smoothing it out more brother. Besides that a big key for good cam tuning on mopar is adjusting your friction torque table
    Will do ,my next step is to smooth the ve and i did play with the friction tables i reduced it by 10 in the idle percent and interpolated across the table but that made the car extremely lazy , what do you recommend doing to the friction tables
    Honeslty i was thinking of set ting the minimum spark to 10 that would least prevent that big dip in timing huge surge

Yeah im tuning it as a cammed car , i wonder why it’s acting like this altough the engine os completely stock

The way I look at it is this.. higher numbers will cause it to react slower and lower numbers will cause rpms to react faster. Not a perfect science by any means but I believe that's how it works if memory serves me correct.

Start with a stock friction table from a 5.7, might be perfect.. copy rpm and torque numbers from the 5.7 over as well (X and Y Axis)

The way I look at it is this.. higher numbers will cause it to react slower and lower numbers will cause rpms to react faster. Not a perfect science by any means but I believe that's how it works if memory serves me correct.

Start with a stock friction table from a 5.7, might be perfect.. copy rpm and torque numbers from the 5.7 over as well (X and Y Axis)
    They are the same values between the 6.1 and 5.7 i will try to add some and see what happens