Thread: Operating system help on 2004 Siverado

Potential Tuner

Operating system help on 2004 Siverado

I am just starting on the hptuners platform and this is my first swap. Heres a few details on the swap. The truck is a 2004 Silverado 1500, originally came with a 4.3 with the 5 speed NV3500 trans. I swapped in a 6.0 lq4 out of a 2002 Silverado 2500. The 6.0 was matted to a 4l80e auto trans, now it is with the nv3500 that came in the truck. The problem that I'm running into is which operating system to use. When I go to change the vin so the engine matches the body it says i have the incorrect operating system. The 6.0 operating system is 12202088. The operating system came with truck is 12212156. Also I haven't licensed anything yet because I want to make sure I do it right the first time. Lastly I noticed when I click the operating system it gives me options on what map sensor I am using and each one of those has a different operating system as well. I am planing on running a 3 bar map sensor when I turbo the build.
    1.Should I use the 3 bar OS now?
    2.Could I use the 4.3 ecm and just flash it to run the 6.0?
    3.If I can not use the 4.3 ecm where can I find the correct OS and will it require additional credits?

If anyone could help or point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!!

I think if you could flash the computer with a 6.0/5 speed file from a 2004 truck you may be in the best situation.

Your computer already has the IAC drivers on it because the 4.3's still ran a cable throttle body on those P59 computers. If the computer was flashed with a GM tool with a 6.0 manual file you should be able to go into a system options afterwards and deselect the drive by wire box to make it a cable throttle body again.

All I know for sure is that you must start with a V8 calibration file to make everything function.

The 2 bar or 3 bar OS change can be done later on.

Hopefully someone else has another opinion to add to this thread.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you for the input! So let me get this straight you are saying to use the 4.3 pcm and have that reflashed to the 6.0/manual? And would a GM tech 2 have the capability do that or were you referring to a different GM tool? Thanks!!

A tech 2 or MDI can program the computer.

This is just my idea of making it work. The 4.3 to V8 swaps seem easy until you want the computer stuff to work seamlessly with the current truck.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.