Thread: PCM replaced by dealer, need to relicense

Tuner in Training

PCM replaced by dealer, need to relicense

Had a customer that had his PCM go bad when rodents chewed up his harness and shorted some coil drivers. It was replaced by the dealer and now I cannot edit the PCM any longer even though it is the same car and VIN. I expect that there is a way to relicense this without having to purchase new credits.
    Last edited by JoeB; 09-23-2020 at 12:38 PM.

I dont think there is since the new PCM has its own unique serial number. HPTuners sees it as a different PCM that is unlicensed.

You have to pay to license it again. New computer means new license.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

You mean I can't license my VIN once and then plug in and tune ECM after ECM after ECM to sell on ebay??! What a ripoff.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    You mean I can't license my VIN once and then plug in and tune ECM after ECM after ECM to sell on ebay??! What a ripoff.
    Bwahahahahahahaha!
    Daily Driver= 2003 BMW 330xi
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)
    Project Car= 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS (LQ4 w/ Gen 4 Rods, LS3 heads, turbo...)
    Truck= 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT LY5 4x4

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Very funny. This is an honest question. I think they would figure it out pretty quickly if I kept coming back for credits for a PCM for the same VIN over and over. Or even if I constantly kept asking for credits for replaced PCMs. I think they would figure it out pretty quickly. But in reality there should be a procedure in place for PCMs that are replaced due to failure. He can produce dealer receipts to prove it was replaced. He's already paid for the credits to tune his car, HPTuners got their money. Do they really need to alienate a customer by requiring he pay again? It's not like they are giving away a product that costs them money to produce free and taking a loss on the cost of that product. The credits are just a virtual key, one which he already paid for for this VIN. To require buying them again is just poor customer service.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by kgraves View Post
    I dont think there is since the new PCM has its own unique serial number. HPTuners sees it as a different PCM that is unlicensed.
    But the VIN number is unchanged

HPT license is for something like a hash created by a VIN plus a specific ECM serial. Change either part of that combo and it's seen as unlicensed.

My little joke wasn't directed at you or this particular incident, it's just that it always comes up that "it's not fair how they do the licensing because [insert excuse here for my unique situation]". I agree it would be nice if there were a way to deal with a genuine part failure without relicensing, but for every legitimate scenario I can think of about 3 or 4 ways it could be abused by somebody trying to get, like I said, free stuff to sell on ebay.

Advanced Tuner
    This is just the way it is. Been like this. I replaced 2 ECMs in my old GTP and had to buy credits for each one. It's a combo of VIN and serial number of the ECM. Just imagine if you could just change the VIN in each ECM you buy to avoid credits. Everyone would do it and HPT wouldn't make any money. Nothing in life is free.

Please stop crying...
    Daily Driver= 2003 BMW 330xi
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)
    Project Car= 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS (LQ4 w/ Gen 4 Rods, LS3 heads, turbo...)
    Truck= 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT LY5 4x4