Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RX8 LS1, Tuning Advice & Data Logs

Senior Tuner
    The stock 5.3 tune i'm looking at shows one flow rate for the injectors at all manifold vacuum 24.8 lb/hr, it has a fuel pressure regulator at the rail, with a vacuum line going to it. Is that how you have yours setup? Idling it should be at about 48 PSI. If yours is at 60, thats too high and maybe because the regulator isn't getting a vacuum reference. If you do have the regulator and vacuum reference hooked up like this, then you just need the 33.9 value across the table. If you have a regulator thats just holding 60 PSI steady, then I'm not sure if your injector data is accurate.

dscn5173.jpg
    Last edited by murfie; 10-06-2020 at 03:04 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Just checked mine out. It seems I don't have a vacuum line on the pressure regulator at the fuel rail, I'm using a stock LS3 intake manifold, I've attached a picture. There is no external regulator just a line coming from the pump directly to the rail.

When I bought the car this is the tune that came with it, it's rough but it runs and drives, but it's made for a 6.0. the 'tuner' just flashed it over the ECU and called it a day. There is no surging at idle but the spark is literally all over the place, secondly it jumps when you're at low rpm, or hops rather, I think that's called cam surging but I couldn't find anything else on it. This thing also runs very very rich, like if I have it idle then my eyes start burning after a few minutes.

That's why I was looking for help with this tune, basically started from scratch and was trying to make it work.

My thought for the tune as it is right now, the regulator seems to be holding 60psi as it is since there is no vacuum lines hooked up, so it shouldn't fluctuate because of manifold pressure. If it's wrong injector data then I think I'm a little bit screwed, the guy I bought the manifold / fuel rail / injectors didn't have anything to go with them, data sheets for example, and all I know is that they're 30lb ev6 injectors.

Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

So its using a fuel filter regulator like the corvette one? If so i assume the flow rate should be rising like what you have in the tune. The injector data overall doesnt look crazy but if it is off enough it will surge so idk

just for shits and gigs id try to adjust the tb set screw until your desired airflow matches your dynamic. I think you would be closing it more from what i see
    Last edited by curiousg7; 10-06-2020 at 01:31 PM.

Senior Tuner
    The dynamic MAF and MAF are nearly exactly the same. The only reason Dynamic is jumping and MAF isn't is because the MAP sensor is jumping in the VE table from the surging. The MAF is a lot more stable in surging conditions from its inherent lag. Hence the how speed density steady state defaulting heavily to MAF and transients/ fast changes relies on MAP to correct for.

MAF vs Dynamic MAF.PNG

I thought you had injector pulse width in these logs but I am mistaken. Undo any changed to PID/ adaptive table we recently made, or were done to the tune, comparing a stock tune is best. Setting the spark to the first way I said too, or you can have a little RPM window of 0 like +/- 250RPM in both over under. Remove all those spark advance channels(keep spark advance and knock), remove fuel tank level, commanded airfuel ratio(leave commanded lambda), and include injector pulse width. Make the following changes to put the car in MAF only mode. This alone may make fuel control more stable, who knows, but will can try tuning the injectors short pulse adder table using narrow bands. Well see how far we get before you absolutely need a WB.

MAF.PNG

Lets also disable LTFT for this.

LTFT.PNG
    Last edited by murfie; 10-07-2020 at 01:27 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Great news, I have my new exhaust and Wideband installed and working.
    I'm sure there are different steps for tuning with the wideband, so where should I start since that was my crutch before?

Sorry I was inactive for so long, there were significant problems with the car so I couldn't run it until I got a replacement (water pump)