Thread: 6L90 with TCM-2650 controller behind a 6.5 Diesel

6L90 with TCM-2650 controller behind a 6.5 Diesel

Hi guys,

Just starting out with this project.

Engine : 6.5 Diesel P400 with a "300HP" IP, Supercharger with integrated intercooler in the intake manifold.
    Trans: 2014 6L90 "crate trans" to suit HSV GTS (VF). I've got a custom convertor with the internals for a 6.6 Duramax version of this trans.
    Controller: Zero Gravity TCM-2650 with harness
    Shifter: VF GTS

Now as a novice, what are the pitfalls that I should be looking out for.
    I guess I will have to install the OS and then took at the cal.
    At the moment I have not powered anything up, just lining up the ducks so to speak.
    I've spoken to a trans calibrator, and he suggested to download a base cal into the trans, where we can start the programming.
    He tells me that HP Tuner can only adjust a small subset of the available parameters in the internal TCM. but should be doable.
    The cal that I think will work, comes from a 2014 Chev van, which had a 6.6 Duramax with the same transmission.
    My understanding is that the TCM-2650 only requires RPM and TPS in order to operate the 6L90.

What could possibly go wrong.....

Any advice would be very welcome on the pitfalls ahead. This should be a blast.

regards

Ralph

Advanced Tuner
    just pull the tune from whats in the trans now and go from there.

should be no need to really screw with much at all apart from shift speed settings.

Ok, time for an update:

After the TCM2650 not playing nice since I got it, turns out the "some one" at Zero Gravity put the wrong software and cal in the gateway module.
    Since the new firmware and cal, it's playing nice now.
    I'm using RPM and MAP sensors connected to the gateway.
    Also, the crate 6L90 did not have any program installed, fixed that with a 2014 VF Commodore cal from a guy at work.
    Connected HP Tuner and disabled a few DTCs and the vehicle now drives and changes gears.
    The changes flare badly though, but at least is a start.
    I'm fortunate that I have a couple of ex GM powertrain calibrators at work, so I can pick their brains.
    Last edited by poindexter; 05-21-2022 at 01:56 AM.

Nice update, doing a 6l90e with Same controller behind a big block.. what DTCs DOD you have to disable?
    I’ve played with this controller on a customers car, even though it’s tuned with hp tuners some setting up from the 2650 controller needs to be done.. you actually have to adjust Virtual tq through the module per say, always go little higher on tq (better for clutches then too little)

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by poindexter View Post
    Ok, time for an update:
    Also, the crate 6L90 did not have any program installed, fixed that with a 2014 VF Commodore cal from a guy at work.
    Presuming you mean no OS?
    A VF GTS cal / OS would have been the better choice as that cal is designed for that box. The VF Commodore cal / OS is for a 6L80.
    Best to be done with SPS2.

Quote Originally Posted by poindexter View Post
    Ok, time for an update:
    Connected HP Tuner and disabled a few DTCs and the vehicle now drives and changes gears.
    The changes flare badly though, but at least is a start.
    Load the VF GTS cal / OS and do a log. Need to see the PID Trans Engine Torque to make sure it looks plausible.
    Last edited by hjtrbo; 05-23-2022 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Spelling

Tuner in Training
    how has your experience been with Zero Gravity to get a hold of them for support? I am using there setup to run an 8L90E behind my Gen 3 LQ9, its all working, but they don't respond to emails at all....

Quote Originally Posted by gerry_foster View Post
    how has your experience been with Zero Gravity to get a hold of them for support? I am using there setup to run an 8L90E behind my Gen 3 LQ9, its all working, but they don't respond to emails at all....
    He responds, just doesn’t give a ton of info unfortunately

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Potential Tuner
    Just wanting to maybe pick your brain regarding using the TCM2650 with a later model trans .

I have 6L80e installed behind and LS1 in an Adventra - we are using 2015 Trans and TECHM .

The issue Im having is that the 2650 is not detecting gear selection - all other CAN based and analogue parameters seem to be visible .

However , using same CAL file - all seems to be good when plugged into an early model trans !!. Zero Gravity arent much help - have confirmed latest firmware as well .

I have tuned one previously - early trans .. without this issue . Any differences required in CAL file for later TECHM ???

Cheers
    Kyle

Advanced Tuner
    Can't go back to an earlier 2012/2013 os/cal?