Thread: 2017 Mustang GT 5.0 on E85/ flexfuel ?

Potential Tuner

2017 Mustang GT 5.0 on E85/ flexfuel ?

Hello,

Sorry if this has already been answered, but i couldn't find the right info on the forum .

I have been tuning cars on standalone ECU for 10 years.
    I am trying to get my head around Ford ECU tuning.

I have a customer who came for a flexfuel tune for his '17 GT. Car is 100% stock, Cervini Special Edition.
    The car will run E85 anytime my customer finds a gaz station with it.
    In my country, E85 is usually around E70 in summer, and E55 in winter.

From what i have gathered, i need 47lb injectors to begin with.
    Then i need to tune the ECU to work with these, with the proper characteristics.
    Then i need to enable the Flexfuel in the fuel tab.

Then what ? Should i let the ST/LT fuel trims do their job ?

IF someone could point me in the right direction.
    Sorry for the bad english, it is not my mother langage.

Thank you guys.
    Last edited by eekoog; 09-27-2020 at 11:09 AM.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    unless your customer is going got a FBO NA no need for injectors you can "get by" with stock
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Quote Originally Posted by eekoog View Post
    Hello,

Sorry if this has already been answered, but i couldn't find the right info on the forum .

I have been tuning cars on standalone ECU for 10 years.
    I am trying to get my head around Ford ECU tuning.

I have a customer who came for a flexfuel tune for his '17 GT. Car is 100% stock, Cervini Special Edition.
    The car will run E85 anytime my customer finds a gaz station with it.
    In my country, E85 is usually around E70 in summer, and E55 in winter.

From what i have gathered, i need 47lb injectors to begin with.
    Then i need to tune the ECU to work with these, with the proper characteristics.
    Then i need to enable the Flexfuel in the fuel tab.

Then what ? Should i let the ST/LT fuel trims do their job ?

IF someone could point me in the right direction.
    Sorry for the bad english, it is not my mother langage.

Thank you guys.

Post your file and we can get you started

Senior Tuner
    Watch your injector pulse width/ Duty cycle on higher E% fuels and going into higher RPMs(7000+). Injector window gets to small for the smaller injectors to release enough fuel.
    Power enrichment commanded lambda and catalytic over temp play large roles in where you can and can not go with stock injectors on E85. There's always going to be a benefit from the octane in the lower RPM's, high loads as you can add in timing 91/93 wouldn't let you. This is a lot more of what people feel when driving around comparing E85 to 91/93 on a flex tune. The higher RPMs is mainly for the dyno and track numbers.

Flex fuel logic takes over the Long term fuel trims. Cars come with wideband o2 sensors so leave short term fuel trims on all the time.

Essentially just by enabling the flex fuel logic and adjusting the lock points to your preferences will have the vehicle capable of running e85, other tables such as what murfie said can be adjusted to get maximum gains.

Advanced Tuner
    What are these lock points?

Quote Originally Posted by K44 View Post
    What are these lock points?
    Its the AFR boundary's that the tune locks in after its decided on the ethanol % (think 9.85 for e85 and 14.08 for e10 - each side of the spectrum)

Advanced Tuner
    That is what I thought, never heard them referred to as lock points.

Thanks.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you for the inputs guys.

I am not trying to chase numbers. We want to run on E85 because it is 50% cheaper than gas around here.
    If i can get away with stock performances on any blend of ethanol, it will be more than enough for this car.

Here is my stock file.2016 mustang gt stock.hpt

I am not trying to chase numbers. We want to run on E85 because it is 50% cheaper than gas around here.
    If i can get away with stock performances on any blend of ethanol, it will be more than enough for this car.

Here is my stock file.
    Try this.

Don't get get caught up looking at inferred alcohol percentages.

2016 mustang gt stock - flex fuel - try this.hpt

Advanced Tuner

Here is my stock file.2016 mustang gt stock.hpt
    Don't expect to save money switching to E85. It's cheaper per gallon but the miles per gallon is significantly lower than gasoline. Still, if there were stations near me I'd run it regardless not just for the performance but also for the environment and to conserve on fossil fuel usage.
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

(+) Adding Knock Retard = Reducing Timing. PCM is seeing knock.
    (--) Lowering Knock Retard = Increasing Timing. PCM isn't seeing knock.
    __________________________________________________ ________

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.
    Don't fix it if it ain't broken | Maximum effort gets maximum results

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LastPlace View Post
    Try this.

Don't get get caught up looking at inferred alcohol percentages.

2016 mustang gt stock - flex fuel - try this.hpt
    Thank you for the file.

When you say : "Don't get get caught up looking at inferred alcohol percentages.", the langage barrier keeps me from understanding this sentence, even with google translator.

I used the compare function of VCM Editor.
    Looks like you changed a lot of things.
    I will take the time to analyze your changes so i can come up with precise questions.

When you say "try this", what do you mean ? Should i just drive, log and be sure AFRs and knock levels are OK ?

To avoid misunderstanding : i am extremely grateful for the help, but this is my customer's pride and joy, so i cannot take the risk of damaging it during my own learning curve.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbolt22 View Post
    Don't expect to save money switching to E85. It's cheaper per gallon but the miles per gallon is significantly lower than gasoline. Still, if there were stations near me I'd run it regardless not just for the performance but also for the environment and to conserve on fossil fuel usage.
    On previous E85 conversions i did, i saw a slight decrease in fuel consumption in the long run.
    Last edited by eekoog; 09-30-2020 at 04:20 AM.

Thank you for the file.

To avoid misunderstanding : i am extremely grateful for the help, but this is my customer's pride and joy, so i cannot take the risk of damaging it during my own learning curve.
    With all due respect, your customers pride and joy is not worth damaging by flashing changes you personally do not understand.

Huge no no.

File explanation: I enabled flex fuel logic, with stock spark advance settings

Feel free to use the search function and make sure you are logging it correctly and post your logs here so others can give you input.