Thread: tuning for torque

Potential Tuner

tuning for torque

Hi all. I'm new at this but have been around cars my whole life. I have a 2001 1500hd that I use for work and to pull a camper. I did factory electric fans from an 05 and got them to work based on temp settings and a relay. It was a thought process but it's done. I would like to get a bit more low end torque primarily because when I put the camper in the yard it is slightly uphill and the backend breaks loose. I know it's not a diesel but a little more omph would be helpful. I have no idea where to start, what changes to make, nothing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Mark

To be honest you won't really get anything you are talking about with a tune. There isn't just more torque to be had at lower rpm with all the stock parts involved.

You are at the point of needed more cubic inches to get more torque at super low revs. All the aftermarket camshaft are going to make your peak torque and horsepower numbers better but aren't going to give you 50 ft lbs at 1000-1500rpm.

Depending on your rear end gear ratio, that could be something to change to get more mechanical advantaged. Get different tires or put it in 4 wheel drive.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Senior Tuner
    Start by taking a log while doing what you want improvement on. It may or may not show something that can be improved upon, you won't know until you look at the data.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    To be honest you won't really get anything you are talking about with a tune. There isn't just more torque to be had at lower rpm with all the stock parts involved.

You are at the point of needed more cubic inches to get more torque at super low revs. All the aftermarket camshaft are going to make your peak torque and horsepower numbers better but aren't going to give you 50 ft lbs at 1000-1500rpm.

Depending on your rear end gear ratio, that could be something to change to get more mechanical advantaged. Get different tires or put it in 4 wheel drive.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by murfie View Post
    Start by taking a log while doing what you want improvement on. It may or may not show something that can be improved upon, you won't know until you look at the data.

Have you adjusted any of your torque management settings? The truck has plenty of torque that is being held back by the ECU.
    Calibrator By Day, Student of the Game at Night.
    www.LSXedit.com

Want to Learn Hands On? I Offer Remote Tuning Email Me at [email protected]

TEO TUNED
    You Can View Most of my Library on Instagram
    Website Coming Soon...

INSTAGRAM: @TEOTUNED

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LSandlteditor View Post
    Have you adjusted any of your torque management settings? The truck has plenty of torque that is being held back by the ECU.

Potential Tuner
    I have not. I don't know what to look for or where to begin looking.