Thread: ProCharged GTO Pulling Timing Due To High IATs

Potential Tuner

ProCharged GTO Pulling Timing Due To High IATs

I have an 06 GTO big bore short stroke Procharged moter (f1a). I do no prep heads up true street type racing. Starting to get more and more competitive and I want to prevent my car from pulling timing when I need the power the most!
    Heat soak and high IATs have always been an issues with the car. I plan to address these issues on the off season with a more efficient A/A or A/W intercooler. In the time being I want to be able to prevent the car from pulling as much timing that it is at times. By the end of a 1/4 mile pass IATs can be in the range of 160-175* and pull up to 7.5* of timing! I realize in a normal circumstance you would want this timing pulled to prevent possible detonation. I run good fuel Ignite Red 114 (e90) and the car has NEVER detected knock. I have adjusted the IAT Spark Advance Correction "Base" parameters where I see necessary and have made some progress. I am unsure of that needs to be adjusted if anything in the "MULT" and "MULT2" graphs.
    I can provide multiply logs and show the tuning changes I have made. I appreciate any and all help/advice!

Zero the multipliers if you don't want them to change anything.

And the tune is doing what you are asking in that tune file. At above 167 degrees it's pulling 7 degrees of timing and 9 degrees at 176.

If you want less timing being pulled, input a smaller value like 2 degrees at 167 and 4 degrees at 176 coolant temp.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Senior Tuner
    yea i see IAT's as no point pulling timing if u dont need to, if engine runs fine no knock or issues just keep the timing in there, ethanol dosnt mind heat ive purposely gone for drive on a 40c+ (104f) day just to see how it goes and no issues what so ever still takes full timing and IAT in 60c range 15psi boost, what u can do is get the car on a dyno and force it to heat up the iat's so u can see where it needs any removed if at all then set it up like that and if ur on the street u know it will be fine

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the quick replies 5FDP and 07GTS! I feel pulling the timing is unnecessary as well being said there is absolutely no knock. I will continue logging and working on my ?Base? table. ?Base? would be the initial command vs IAT then reverts to ?Mult? and ?Mult2? for further adjustment? Zeroing these Multiplying table sounds like a simple solution that way I can focus on getting the ?Base? numbers right where I want them.

I have dealt with high IAT's with my TVS blower. Just recently, I cut up a used hood and pulled air from outside the engine compartment. It made a huge difference. I have made several wot runs and it doesn't get over 150. (at 95 degrees ambient) That is with the stock maggie intercooler and tank. I had the iat chart pulling 1 degree at 158, 2 degrees at 176 and 3 degrees at 185 on 93 octane with no knock. At 150 degrees, sometimes it pulls .5 degrees now with good air. Can't wait to get back to the track and see if my et improves.
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the reply Lakegoat! Did you make adjustments to your "Mult" and "Mult2" tables? I have made a lot of ET improvements by adjusting the "Base" table and still have some work to do.

I think part of the no knock being picked up is because you have altered the knock sensor settings some but with E90 fuel it's harder to see knock anyway.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

My two mult tables are stock. I use the base table to get the timing that i want to hold.
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8