Thread: converter locking up at lower than commanded speed in 4th

Advanced Tuner

converter locking up at lower than commanded speed in 4th

I just started having an issue where the converter is locking up pretty hard as soon as it shifts into 4th gear. I have been running the same converter settings for months and it had been working just like I wanted until today and all I did was make changes to the ve table. I have had similar issues in another truck and it was like the ecu didn't take the tune correctly and if I flashed the same tune again it worked like I wanted. I tried doing that today on my truck and it didn't work. I then did write entire and it worked good for the first half of the log, then it started acting up again. Anyone have any ideas on what the issue could be?

Senior Tuner
    Your trans fluid temp drops the longer the log went on. About half way through the log it bottoms out at 95*f. Maybe needs a thermal bypass to maintain proper operating temp.

Advanced Tuner
    I have had it like this for over a year with the same cooling set up. I have it run through the radiator to warm the fluid up a little then throgh a powerstroke tranny cooler. Usually it is around 130 degrees. It was colder today and I was just putting around because I didn't want it slamming into lockup when I didn't want it to. I live in alaska and I have driven it in the winter like that when the fluid was probably only 50 degrees or so when the truck was warming up and I haven't ever had this issue. Probably would be a good idea to put some thermostat system in it, but the fluid has been a bit colder at times and I haven't had this issue.

Advanced Tuner
    At 11:23 in the log it locks up as soon as it shifts into 4th gear at only 38 mph and 4 percent throttle. The lowest mph I have set up for it to lock up is 45 mph.