Thread: Parameters missing from tune? Mustang GT Stock vs FRPP2

Parameters missing from tune? Mustang GT Stock vs FRPP2

Forgive me if there is a good reason behind this, I'm still trying to figure it out. I'm noticing that stock mustang reads have parameters that are missing from the Ford Racing Power Pack 2 read. I noticed it when I was comparing my stock file to my FRPP2 file. For example, the stock table has quite a few more fields for idle RPM settings (top) versus the FRPP2 tables. Is this just because the tables simply aren't there, or a bug, or something else?

I hesitate to call it a bug because I'm so new at this, that it's probably "user error".

I can come up with a detailed list of the differences and table numbers if it helps, but I figured I'd start with this one because I noticed it right away.
    Thank you!

Hardware: TC-1791, ECM, Ford
    FRPP2 OS: MGMPFK4
    Attachment 103698

Stock OS: FPGM05K
    Attachment 103699

Sorry for asking a lot of probably stupid questions, I'm trying to learn. Thank you in advance for any information you have provided me

Senior Tuner
    The FRPP OS's are very engine management only, they are usually used in cars with modern engine swaps and the like. The stock OS's take into account everything that could possibly effect the engine and its safety, along with vehicle occupants safety and ride experience. You will see a lot more parameters in stock OS's, most of which don't need to be touched 90% of the time when tuning the engine. If anything use the FRPP OS to see what you are more likely needing to touch to get the engine operating the way you want it too.

Tuner
    HP will add various parameters if you send them your tune. Funny, I just sent them my Roush OS and had them add those exact parameters to idle

Thank you both for the replies. Murfie, I might be misunderstanding your reply (Forgive me if I am). When I say FRPP2 I'm referring to the stage 2 kit that Ford has for stock cars. The one with the GT350 throttle body and cold air intake (And the procal tune they include). This is the kit: https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-M8A

Not really related, but something else I noticed last night...When I was going back and forth last night between my stock OS and the FRPP2 OS, I noticed something. ECM3819 (Engine > Spark > Knock Sensor Window > Duration Cyl 8) has a different set of limits. For example, if you look at Cyl 1-7, the limits are 0 to 96 degrees. on Cyl 8, the limit is between 0 to 5,479 degrees. I think the correct values are stored, but the values are stored as degrees, but somehow entered in the radians, causing the problem. I checked it against a different tune I got off the repository as well. I went back to 4.4.4.0 and the issue wasn't there, but newer versions including the beta have the problem. I emailed support about it. It seems like it is a bug to me, but I'm so new at this right now that I second guess myself

Thank you all again for the help!
    Sorry for asking a lot of probably stupid questions, I'm trying to learn. Thank you in advance for any information you have provided me

Senior Tuner
    Yeah on the custom OS stuff they had to get past the encryption. What you get is a template for most of the other non important stuff. Then you are using an OS with who knows what else is done in the background they couldn't fit in this template. So running into limits and problems is common.

Why IMO its better to use your stock OS and pick out the data you need from the custom OS. Then they have many people contacting support for adding tables when its something unknown in the custom OS that just wouldn't be in the the stock OS. Just a waste of both peoples time.
    Last edited by murfie; 10-01-2020 at 11:36 AM.

While I realize this is apples - to - oranges, but

I have run both, factory KWC4 and FRPP Crate_6 on mine. (Coyote swapped 2007)
    I prefer the Crate _6 control pack strategy. Yes, there are some items I found missing too. (ex: transmission gear ratio minimums and maximums) I actually spoke to Ford Racing before the build and asked about the control pack. Ford told me it wont pass emissions as all that has been "deleted" and does not support cruise control. Well, Ford was wrong lol. I have working cruise with the control pack strategy, but 6th only. I suspect the magnum gear ratios are outside of the limits on the lower gears. And once I enabled the OBD 2 stuff, I had all monitors available, and 7 of 8 complete. And that's good enough to pass the smog check.

The overall feel and personality of the two strategies are definitely different. And I have played around copying info from one to the other and vice versa. There are definite OS differences that are "hidden behind the scenes".

Senior Tuner
    Then there's the whole spending credits to license all this that most new users aren't prepared for. Just extract for the data.

I noticed the same thing that you did JuiceNA. It seemed like when I pulled the values from the FRPP2 and copied them over to my stock tune, it drove differently. That was a while back though, so I will give it a try again. User error in my case is a very real possibility. I know what you mean about the licensing costs to go from my stock OS to the FRPP one (I actually did it a while back). I wasn't sure if the OS change was just table changes, or literally a entirely new OS (In my head, an OS change would literally be like DD'ing the entire partition if you are familiar with Linux). I did the OS swap because I thought that would copy all stuff, even if there was undiscovered stuff that wasn't shown.

I wouldn't be surprised if I was overthinking this though. I most certainly appreciate all of the help/explanation on this stuff. Support did get back to me btw and did confirm that the thing I found was a small bug.

The FRPP2 definition has not been updated yet. Sooner or later it will be.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Thank you Eric - do you want me to give you my stock tune and the frpp2 tune? You guys are absolutely awesome! I want to help out however I can, (even with my limited knowledge)