Thread: Adding or pulling power for racing.

Tuner in Training

Adding or pulling power for racing.

So i have a 2001 S10 with a 5.7 running a express van tune on a P01. We are planning on doing some racing with it and i have it running real good for a first time tuner. My confusion from watching other racers on the strip and some of the terms they use and i'm not sure how they do it. i hear them taking power away from the start to get better tractions or adding power on the end of the track. How, are they doing it with the timing, torque management, trans pressures, etc. Any help or direction is appreciated.

On a stock computer you are a little limited on features. Typically guys switch to an aftermarket ecu that has better control measures. There might be someone on here that knows how to work the torque management or tranny abuse tables tho

I tend to agree, they are using a standalone computer like a Holley or similar.

With a stock computer you are kinda limited. Your foot is the biggest factor. I suppose you could try some different timing and commanded fueling changes at lower rpm to take away power.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

I feel like someone in the sloppy mechanics crowd might've figured out some sort of launch control with a stock ecu

why not just log the launch and then go back and take out timing from those areas and re-log to see the difference?

Same thing in reverse for getting more torque, log the launch and go back later to add some fuel in those areas...

Since logging is done in the time domain, you can compare RPM/second and mph/second to see whether the intended effect merits the change

Tuner in Training JoshuaGrooms83's Avatar
    You could play with a 2 step that could help out in this regard. this also limits you having to mess with the computer a bit but also dial in your launch rpm, that way you limit the variables in your launch a bit with a stock computer. Then you can start cutting fuel/timing etc with out having some much varying issues.
    and you point is?

Tuner in Training
    Thanks everyone, that was kind of my thoughts but was hoping that with the stock ECU there was an area i hadn't played with that could help.