Thread: 4l60E TCC lockup issue

4l60E TCC lockup issue

New Performabuilt level2 trans with new Circle D 3200 stall. Shift scheduling tables modified using Bluecat. Gen III P01 ECU.

If I accelerate quickly, no issue locking the converter in 4th gear. If I accelerate moderately, or cruising down the highway at a set speed above 70, the converter does not lock, even varying my speed up and down does not get the converter to lock. I can even downshift and let it upshift again, with no lock.

I did notice a secondary issue that may be attributing to the issue. I have an Autometer speedometer that has a separate calibration for the actual VSS pulse per mile calibration in the ECU. In order to get my speedo to read accurately (compared to GPS), I have to "fudge" the pulses per mile in the ECU. This causes the actual speed that the ECU is registering is approx 9 mph higher.

Can anyone walk me through this, tune is attached. It is still in work, so please be gentle.
    63 Nova VE Tune New Base 10-2 new maf.hpt

Wow, talk about dead in here....

Can you post a log? I wanna see it before I say anything
    1998 GMC K1500 Z71
    * L31 350 Vortec
    * AUS 43lb injectors
    * Comp 08-410-8 with 1.6 rockers
    * P59 swap
    * Whipple supercharger
    * JBA headers
    * AFR 190cc heads
    * NV4500 swapped
    * Cal-Trac traction bars
    * 1" blocks, 265/70r17 BF Goodrich KO2s, 17X8.5 ALPHAEQUIPT COMMAND LT

Unfortunately, my log does not have the trans pids selected. I was doing VE when I noticed the issue. Log from that day is attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

In the tune your tcc is disabled at 70mph if you're above 25% throttle. That combined with the "fudging" could be your issue. You could try lowering the TCC values as a whole. But I really need the trans pids to be sure. Mainly tps, rpm, speed, gear, and TCC pids.
    1998 GMC K1500 Z71
    * L31 350 Vortec
    * AUS 43lb injectors
    * Comp 08-410-8 with 1.6 rockers
    * P59 swap
    * Whipple supercharger
    * JBA headers
    * AFR 190cc heads
    * NV4500 swapped
    * Cal-Trac traction bars
    * 1" blocks, 265/70r17 BF Goodrich KO2s, 17X8.5 ALPHAEQUIPT COMMAND LT

Thanks for the response. Can you point me to where you are seeing the TCC disabled above 70 at 25% throttle, I am obviously missing where that is.

I will set up the scanner with the pids and do a run this weekend. BTW, trans does not have PWM for the converter, it has been modified for straight on/off.

I also figured out how to correct the speedo issue, my speedo is capable of accepting a GPS signal, so I am converting it over this weekend and will fix the pulses/mile for the ECU.

Quote Originally Posted by awest623 View Post
    In the tune your tcc is disabled at 70mph if you're above 25% throttle.
    After really looking at the apply table, I think I see what you are saying. My table shows to apply at 70 at 25% tps, so you are saying if I am NOT at 25% tps, it will not apply? I thought that if I was below that threshold, and TPS was lower, I would meet the requirement of the next lower cell and it would apply, am I wrong? I can see by lowering that across all of 4th gear it could solve the issue, but is that the correct way to do it?

Found an excellent tutorial, got the apply/release dialed in. With the GPS speedo, everything now matches and works.

Glad you got it figured out. Sorry, don't get on here too often and it doesn't send me notifications.

Tuner in Training JoshuaGrooms83's Avatar
    i was wondering about this too. I was messing with my trans tuning with my 98 Trans am, and after I moved some shift schdules around due to it reving to high hell and not shifting fast enough, now ive noticed that my car is cruising at 3500 rpm at 55ish mph in 4th gear, at least thats what it says. Ive notived its now not locking up and doing that "kick down" that it usuaally does when im just cruising. Im gonna need to see what i did to mess that up.
    Ill have to post my last tune and scan, its on my other computer.
    and you point is?

Quote Originally Posted by awest623 View Post
    Glad you got it figured out. Sorry, don't get on here too often and it doesn't send me notifications.
    You are good man, I really appreciate the help.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    i was wondering about this too. I was messing with my trans tuning with my 98 Trans am, and after I moved some shift schdules around due to it reving to high hell and not shifting fast enough, now ive noticed that my car is cruising at 3500 rpm at 55ish mph in 4th gear, at least thats what it says. Ive notived its now not locking up and doing that "kick down" that it usuaally does when im just cruising. Im gonna need to see what i did to mess that up.
    Ill have to post my last tune and scan, its on my other computer.
    This link is super helpful, it is also on this forum, but without the pictures https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...tm-w-pics.html

Use BlueCat. Works AWESOME

Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    Use BlueCat. Works AWESOME
    I agree. Running bluecat on my truck. I played with the shift curve settings but honestly the stock configuration works amazing (after inputting the vehicle specifics)