Thread: LY6 swap into E53 BMW X5 - tuning help needed

Potential Tuner

LY6 swap into E53 BMW X5 - tuning help needed

I'm new to the forum and tuning so I need some helpful pointers on getting my engine and 4L80 transmission shifting properly. From the stock 6L I added an intake, fuel rail and injectors from a 2010 Camaro and Hooker short headers so my exhaust would clear the firewall. My exhaust is made up of a Magnaflow X muffler so it's pretty free flowing also and I left the cats out and post cat 02 sensors. From the tutorials I've found so far, the guy from Goat Rope garage is using a wideband to tune but is it really essential to tune my engine? I've heard otherwise so any help and or links to other tuning videos would be greatly appreciated!!

Advanced Tuner
    If you want to know what's going on outside of closed loop operation, then yes, a wideband is required. So, in short, once you floor it, you are flying blind (with respect to fueling) without a wideband.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for your input. I appreciate any help I can get.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for your input on this. I appreciate it. While putting this build together I deleted the post cat O2 sensors and the air conditioning but I still have codes popping up, where can I go in HP tuners to disable them to clear the codes?

Advanced Tuner
    The 2010 and newer GM ECMs utilize "permanent" DTC codes.

Depending on the reflash sequence in a conversion vehicle, if these codes appear, it may take a few drive cycles for them to go away - some may never go away - depending on the platform.

Potential Tuner
    Mine is an 08. Where in HP tuners can you disable A/C and the evap stuff?

Advanced Tuner
    You never posted a tune - sounds like you are working with an E38, with a 2008 calibration.

If so, all DTCs may be fully disabled with this platform - you just need to go through the DTCs from beginning to end, and disable what you don't need, with respect to your specific conversion project.

Potential Tuner
    That's where it gets tricky for me because I'm not totally sure what affect disabling something will have on another and the last thing I want to do is screw something up.

Advanced Tuner
    You have two options.

Option 1 - learn to use HP Tuners - through many hours of self education. In your current instance, you will need to look up the definition of any DTC, of which you are not certain.

Option 2 - hire a professional tuner.

Potential Tuner
    I think both options will have to be worked through and hopefully I'll learn a lot on the way. Thanks for the helpful tips.

Potential Tuner
    Through lots of reading and wiring diagrams I was able to fix the communication problem which also fixed my shifting issues. Now I'm hoping to find an OEM injector table for 2010 Camaro injectors