Thread: 2016 Shelby GT350 with a Vortech facing issues with "MAP Max vs Airmass" 44352

Potential Tuner

2016 Shelby GT350 with a Vortech facing issues with "MAP Max vs Airmass" 44352

So hey guys, this is my first post (I think?), I'm a lurker mostly, and I tune a bunch of Hyundai/Kia stuff. I got a GT350 some time ago and I really want to learn to tune Fords cause ��*♂️;

so, I've been fiddling around with my car for a few days now, I have it mostly running, but any changes I do to the map in the thread title ( "MAP Max vs Airmass" 44352 ) cause my car to stall out with sudden throttle changes. Leaving this table stock gives me I'd say about 90% proper driveability, but changing it causes it to die pretty any time I stab the throttle, come off it too quickly, or go over a certain % of pedal position.

I've tried searching everywhere but I don't really find anything about this table.

Also, in the interest of at least giving something, I'm going to attach an excel sheet I made to renormalize spark and torque tables, that allows you to write a percent correction and then have your tables renormalized and a correction factor % applied (in case of torque) or timing removed (in case of ign advance), with an experimental SD calculator which I made trying to figure out the beforementioned issue.

I have also attached the current tune and a few logs of it dying, and a log of it working properly.
    Any help would be great! And, yes i would use this help as knowledge if anyone comes around to ask me for a tune on a Coyote, but I don't really get much of that traffic here. Thanks beforehand.

I tried to rename my logs and tunes to files that explain what's going on, so if there's any questions let me know. "shutoffwhiledriving.hpl" happened with tune "driveslikeshit.hpt", and the other is how the car is currently running, and I included it just to see if there's anything wrong to be found with it

2016GT350VortechDeatsch950.hpt
    WOTwithoutMaxMap.hpl
    drivelikeshit.hpt
    Shutoffwhiledriving.hpl
    NormanAlphaXFordCalculator.xlsx

Senior Tuner
    I'm going to ignore the drivelikeshit and shutoffwhiledriving tune and log. I think the driver demand changes caused the stall, not the airmass vs MAP max table. 2016GT350VortechDeatsch950.hpt has stock values, like it should, under 50%.

The WOTwithoutMaxMap log shows your fuel control is non existent. Try this MAF curve I came up with from error in the WOTwithoutMapMax log. That table is a limit to the calculated MAP max. injector flow rate multipliers use calculated MAP, so if this isn't moved up out of the way you will get air/fuel error.

ElDominioMAF.xlsx
    Last edited by murfie; 10-06-2020 at 05:10 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by murfie View Post
    I'm going to ignore the drivelikeshit and shutoffwhiledriving tune and log. I think the driver demand changes caused the stall, not the airmass vs MAP max table. 2016GT350VortechDeatsch950.hpt has stock values, like it should, under 50%.

The WOTwithoutMaxMap log shows your fuel control is non existent. Try this MAF curve I came up with from error in the WOTwithoutMapMax log. That table is a limit to the calculated MAP max. injector flow rate multipliers use calculated MAP, so if this isn't moved up out of the way you will get air/fuel error.

ElDominioMAF.xlsx
    That thing about the multipliers using the calc MAP makes sense.

The thing is, I changed the DD tables trying to correct the stalling. On "2016GT350VortechDeatsch950.hpt", changing table 44352 causes it to stall.

***EDIT***

I did it again and it worked fine lol wtf
    Thanks as always Murfie, it's been basically all of your comments on other posts that have helped me so far.
    Now to mess around with a few more torque tables lol
    Last edited by ElDominio; 10-06-2020 at 03:22 PM.

Potential Tuner
    I updated the calculator for DD too, does the calculator look any useful?
    I used it on my car and it seems to have helped a ton with torque and timing tables, gonna test out the DD calculator tomorrow, but I think I need some work on the torque tables to get rid of a sudden jerk/rest it's doing when coming on throttle. It's as if it thinks it needs more air load to produce a given amount of torque, but that overshoots and it comes back and behaves normally. I'll report back if I fix that.

NormanAlphaXFordCalculator.xlsx

Senior Tuner
    Over doing it / thinking it with the calculators.

Driver demand is torque at the wheel. Autos and manuals have different driver demand calculations as a manual transmits torque to the wheels different than an auto does. Most of the driver demand in an auto actual is lost to slip in the transmission calculations, so peak torque is demanded until the RPM it occurs at. Actual wheel torque the driver is demanding is then in the transmission settings. Then other calibrations, like the GT350, have maximum engine torque tables that limit the driver demand before the torque is even calculated through the clutch into the transmission. Then if the engine is calibrated incorrectly and the ECU thinks there is more or less air Load than there actually is, the torque comes out wrong. In order to keep the pedal having a feeling of still being in control, ETC torque is corrected to what ever engine brake torque is being calculated as, so if the pedal is decrease, torque will be, if its increased torque will be. People will say changes only make the pedal feel different. Other manual transmission calibrations the DD table will look just like a dyno graph of torque at the wheels for different throttle positions. There are so many different paths in every ECU, its more about following the right torque path and correcting what needs to be corrected.
    Last edited by murfie; 10-07-2020 at 03:13 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by murfie View Post
    Over doing it / thinking it with the calculators.

Driver demand is torque at the wheel. Autos and manuals have different driver demand calculations as a manual transmits torque to the wheels different than an auto does. Most of the driver demand in an auto actual is lost to slip in the transmission calculations, so peak torque is demanded until the RPM it occurs at. Actual wheel torque the driver is demanding is then in the transmission settings. Then other calibrations, like the GT350, have maximum engine torque tables that limit the driver demand before the torque is even calculated through the clutch into the transmission. Then if the engine is calibrated incorrectly and the ECU thinks there is more or less air Load than there actually is, the torque comes out wrong. In order to keep the pedal having a feeling of still being in control, ETC torque is corrected to what ever engine brake torque is being calculated as, so if the pedal is decrease, torque will be, if its increased torque will be. People will say changes only make the pedal feel different. Other manual transmission calibrations the DD table will look just like a dyno graph of torque at the wheels for different throttle positions. There are so many different paths in every ECU, its more about following the right torque path and correcting what needs to be corrected.
    IMO, they calculators help a lot if you're a shop owner and you need to not be so much time doing every torque and ignition table manually, but I published it just in case lol

The problem I was facing was because I pasted Engine Torque 3 into the calculator after i already calculated it, and it was basically doubling the torque values. I passed the stock table through the calculator again, pasted the values and it worked great! I love this car lol