Thread: Dual alternator addition?

Dual alternator addition?

Did a search, cannot find anything on here. Also looked through the tune file, and cannot find anything there either. Truck is a 2004 Chevy 3500 DRW, LB7 6.6 Duramax. Want to add the second alternator. They are controlled by the PCM, so I was wondering if there is something in calibration I can change to make it a dual alternator setup where the PCM controls it as such without factory programming being involved. If anyone knows if possible, and can point me to where in HPT to look, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for any input you can give on this!
    03 Z06 stock.......for now
    05 Siearra 5.3 daily
    I have realized that tuning is a rabbit hole. No problem diving down this hole, in fact I jumped willingly. Just want to avoid hitting every ugly rock or root on the way down it.

Potential Tuner
    Ok, so I've recently dug into this for my Dmax van.
    Based on gmupfitter.com builder manuals, the ECM can't actually control them independently.

Field connection is connected together - to excite the windings and let each start generating power. (gmupfitter actually shows only 1 connected to field, the 2nd apparently excites itself after spinning for a while)
    Lamp (failure) wire is connected to both so your battery dash light comes on and you know one failed.
    Power outputs are connected in parallel too. I ran each alternator to each battery to let voltage drop through wiring separate them a little. But they're both regulating to 14.80v when not connected to each other so I don't suspect issues.

Hooking this up in my van this week, I'll report back after some test drives

Potential Tuner
    what are the results from the dual alt setup?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cloud surfer View Post
    what are the results from the dual alt setup?
    hey, sorry for the delay.

Been running duals for for a few months now. All wires in parallel. no issues so far!