Thread: Crank relearn issue, permanent code now.

Tuner in Training

Crank relearn issue, permanent code now.

I know this topic has been mentioned before. I'm on the latest beta version and just did a crank relearn. It said successful but now the car has a permanent and pending P0315 code that can not be cleared.

Tuner in Training
    Can disable that code and reflash. Or find a sct/ngauge, most scan tools to redo procedure.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielerevia View Post
    Can disable that code and reflash. Or find a sct/ngauge, most scan tools to redo procedure.
    Yes you can disable the code but it still shows as a present code when scanned, I'd also like to be able to have full diagnostic ability and not just have it disabled. This has been an issue for years. I'm looking to see if there is an actual fix.

For whatever it's worth, I once had a 2015 Mustang GT that would always throw a P0315 code every time even though I did a crank re-learn.

It will always show up when scanning for DTC's even though i've done the crank re-learn 50 times.

Came to find out that the Strategy was not the original one used on that vehicle from factory. The strategy had been changed in the past by an SCT Device failing to properly return to "true stock" and instead loading it back to stock with another "stock cal" of a different strategy. Long story short, something didn't jive right with this strategy and that Model/Year and caused the issue. I flashed the correct strategy ID that was made for that vehicle from OEM as it was built and boom p0315 was no longer
    www.tunedbynishan.com
    2018 Mustang GT - 10R80

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TunedByNishan View Post
    For whatever it's worth, I once had a 2015 Mustang GT that would always throw a P0315 code every time even though I did a crank re-learn.

It will always show up when scanning for DTC's even though i've done the crank re-learn 50 times.

Came to find out that the Strategy was not the original one used on that vehicle from factory. The strategy had been changed in the past by an SCT Device failing to properly return to "true stock" and instead loading it back to stock with another "stock cal" of a different strategy. Long story short, something didn't jive right with this strategy and that Model/Year and caused the issue. I flashed the correct strategy ID that was made for that vehicle from OEM as it was built and boom p0315 was no longer
    I'm not having a strategy issue. For some reason this has been an issue with the hp tuners software for a long time it seems.

I had a hard time getting mine to go away, but eventually I was able to clear it. It was over a year ago, but I seem to remember that I revved it quite a bit higher than 4k rpm. I think I sat at around 5k for a few seconds until it was happy. I'm not sure it made a difference, but this particular time, I had driven the car a few miles and then did the KAM relearn. Other times I tried it in my garage on a cold engine. I didn't want to subject my poor neighbors to the process which is why I drove to a secluded area to try and bother people less. I'm an old guy that loves fast and loud cars, but I also know what it's like to try to sleep next to a jerk testing open headers at midnight.
    Sorry for asking a lot of probably stupid questions, I'm trying to learn. Thank you in advance for any information you have provided me

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    I had a hard time getting mine to go away, but eventually I was able to clear it. It was over a year ago, but I seem to remember that I revved it quite a bit higher than 4k rpm. I think I sat at around 5k for a few seconds until it was happy. I'm not sure it made a difference, but this particular time, I had driven the car a few miles and then did the KAM relearn. Other times I tried it in my garage on a cold engine. I didn't want to subject my poor neighbors to the process which is why I drove to a secluded area to try and bother people less. I'm an old guy that loves fast and loud cars, but I also know what it's like to try to sleep next to a jerk testing open headers at midnight.
    Yes the car must be up to full temp to be able to do a relearn. The scanner said my relearn was successful but now has a permanent code that can not be cleared and a check engine light for it. It doesn't matter how many successful relearns I do.

Tuner in Training
    i had this issue on a gt350.. i solved by taking it to dealer & they relearned the crank which fixed it

Tuner in Training
    For what its worth. I have a tune from a very popular tuner that they forgot to lock. And going over the tune I noticed he made P0315 (no Error reported) not just a (no mil light) Hope this helps

I actually had this issue again going back and forth with OS's a few days ago. This time I did a KAM reset, then started the car, in neutral (manual car), e-brake on. I revved engine to about 5000 and then hit the OK button to start the re-learn. I think the RPMs had fallen lower than 4500 by then, so I feathered the gas above 4500, probably overshot to 6k. HP Tuners said it was okay, but the error was still there. I then cleared the code and so far it hasn't come back. But I will say that mine did say "Permanent" as well until I did the process a few times.
    Sorry for asking a lot of probably stupid questions, I'm trying to learn. Thank you in advance for any information you have provided me

Tuner
    When i use my ngauge it successfully completes and clears the code.

Potential Tuner
    This has also happened to me every time i have had to do a crank re-learn. In my experience I have had to go back to the factory tune(with correct maf/injector data to run) with no patch applied and do crank relearn to get it to take. re apply patch on factory tune and thank go back to current tune. very frustrating to say the least.