Thread: E67 Methanol inj and tuning questions

Tuner

E67 Methanol inj and tuning questions

Currently running E85 and have enough fuel support for what my plans entail.

09 ZR1 with some bolt ons. hitting around the 750rwhp mark.

looking to really over spin the SC by adding the lower 14% OD ATI balancer (currently 2.2 upper). I am worried about heat in the SC and IAT2's going through the roof even with E85 and all the extra cooling mods (no ice tank though, want all the space in the cargo area as possible)

I've done my due diligence before posting and have read numerous methanol inj tuning threads and still have many questions.

-Looking at buying Alkycontrol MAF kit. thinking single M15 nozzle (targeting 800rwhp+ bolt ons only)
    -I usually dont see ZR1 guys with IAT break out from the maf (dont want to hack up my Kong CF intake either). does the IAT2 table directly relate to and RESPOND quick enough for the IAT vs spark table to adjust my timing when it sprays and pull timing for when it fails?
    -when meth fails, generally how much timing pull above 100* iat?
    -generally how much timing to add below 100* iat for gas or ethanol (was thinking up to 3* at 70*)
    -target 10.8:1 (heard best afr target when spraying) when meth is spraying?
    -adjust fuel by pulling fuel from maf? or Iat vs map multiplier under fuel injector settings?
    or spray so much meth that when it fails i had so much fuel pulled itll be so lean that it will stumble and thatll be my failsafe?

I feel like im on the right track but have never installed/sprayed/tuned for methanol inj before.
    maybe im overthinking?

im just really trying to get the most power i can safely with what i have and hopefully pass the 800whp mark with bolt ons.

Tuner in Training
    What fuel are you running? I pull more IAT retard on 91 vs 93. I've done a few cars on meth and I usually have the timing I want by using the high octane table or high octane and flex fuel table combine if it's a flex setup. I just use IAT/ECT/etc. to pull timing for safety. So I would have IAT timing setup at 0 so it doesn't pull anything and I get it all from the HO table.

I've gained over 30whp on a lsa setup just from cooling the IATs without any added timing.

It also depends on the setup or what the car is used for how aggressive I get with IAT retard. My wife's daily driver is a LSA setup so her car is fairy aggressive or you could say the overall tune is conservative when it comes to pulling timing (aggressive IAT retard as in I pull a lot of timing soon).

Senior Tuner
    best to switch over to Lambda and not AFR for ethanol/meth mix, they both have massive change to stoich and 10.8 is technically really lean for both

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Asd_srt View Post
    What fuel are you running? I pull more IAT retard on 91 vs 93. I've done a few cars on meth and I usually have the timing I want by using the high octane table or high octane and flex fuel table combine if it's a flex setup. I just use IAT/ECT/etc. to pull timing for safety. So I would have IAT timing setup at 0 so it doesn't pull anything and I get it all from the HO table.

I've gained over 30whp on a lsa setup just from cooling the IATs without any added timing.

It also depends on the setup or what the car is used for how aggressive I get with IAT retard. My wife's daily driver is a LSA setup so her car is fairy aggressive or you could say the overall tune is conservative when it comes to pulling timing (aggressive IAT retard as in I pull a lot of timing soon).
    I see, you'll just bake it in since its always part of the system and not necessarily supplemental, then still have the IAT and others as safety. Ill be running E85 and mix of E and 93 (if i cant get to a station) most of the time. ill have 93 in it rarely or for winter storage.

Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    best to switch over to Lambda and not AFR for ethanol/meth mix, they both have massive change to stoich and 10.8 is technically really lean for both
    I agree, i need to start practicing in lambda for everything. im going to do my best to only think on lambda terms from now on.
    i guess that equates to .74 lambda instead of 10.8 on the gas scale.

was hoping someone had some insight on IAT2 and its relation to the IAT spark table in an E67 ecm, is it directly related? or is it a calculation? since ill be spraying methanol after the maf with the main IAT contained with it, id need to see the IAT2 react fast enough for me to add and remove timing.

Senior Tuner
    the iat2 should be the main one as its after the blower so more accurate as long as the bias table is set to zero it will be toward the iat2 (can even check MAT values to see if its same as iat2)

Tuner
    Is that the Cylinder Charge temp bias (13001) table? I see mine is set at 0 already. good advice, i didn't think to look at that. ill just need to purchase the setup and start experimenting. just wanted to get as much info as possible to get a head start on tuning.

Thanks!

Senior Tuner
    yep thats the table, then once u get use to Lambda just shoot for a value and it dosnt matter what fuel u are using just correct it back to that value and it will be right