Thread: traction control

traction control

does anyone know that when you turn traction control off on dash (2016 challenger 5.7 6 speed ) it is completely off or a percentage off?
    also is there some tq reduction when launching to protect driveline?
    Thanks
    Colin.

I believe traction control completely off depends on how long you hold the button for. Found this in a 2016 Manual:

Full Off – If Equipped This mode is intended for off-highway or off-road useonly and should not be used on any public roadways. In this mode, TCS and ESC features are turned OFF. To enter the “Full Off” mode, push and hold the “ESC Off” switch for five seconds while the vehicle is stopped with the engine running. After five seconds, a chime will sound,the “ESC Off Indicator Light” will illuminate, and the...

...In the ESC “Full Off” mode, the engine torquereduction and stability features are disabled.Therefore, enhanced vehicle stability offered by the ESC system is unavailable. In an emergency evasive maneuver, the ESC system will not engage to assist in maintaining stability. “ESC Off” mode is intended for off-highway or off-road use only. With the ESC switched off, the enhanced vehiclestability offered by ESC is unavailable. In an emergency evasive maneuver, the ESC system will not engage to assist in maintaining stability. “FullOff” mode is only intended for off-highway oroff-road use.
    Hellcat PB > ET: 10.092, MPH: 135.650, 60': 1.492, R/T: .000
    Bone Stock Scat Pack PB > ET: 11.612, MPH: 119.52, 60': 1.634, R/T: .000 (gone but not forgotten).

https://youtube.com/user/fumanchu182

Quote Originally Posted by fumanchu182 View Post
    I believe traction control completely off depends on how long you hold the button for. Found this in a 2016 Manual:
    Hmmmm, Thanks. I thought maybe this was the way it worked. I Guess the tq reduction when launching would be off with the esc off. I keep forgetting to do this.

I will see if its better next time playing around.
    Thanks again.

Potential Tuner
    Don't know about yours but most cars don't have a full off function stock I think just the Scat and Hellcat models. Mine doesn't/didn't using the traction control button only puts it in "partial off". Which generally is what I know I want and you probably want. In partial off it shuts off the systems ability to reduce torque, but doesn't shut off the "Brake Lock Differential" which is it's ability apply the brakes to prevent single wheel spin. So it will provide a limited slip function, so if you spin it'll be both wheels not a one wheel peal. The ABS and stability control functions still work in this mode.

I got myself a Tazer so I can go full off. In full off I know it, A LOT of lights come on and the car is near undrivable, all one wheel peal. Mine is an '14 AWD Chrysler 300, in full off all I can do is spin one tire, using the line lock function I'll spin both rear, in AWD partial off I can spin all 4 like I'm Ken Block. In RWD partial off I can spin both rear, do donuts etc. but the stability control while reduced is still working, so it really doesn't like it, it'll still apply front brakes to attempt to stop a sideways slide.

From my Owners manual, yours of course may differ.

"The "Partial Off" mode is intended for times when a
    more spirited driving experience is desired. It is also
    intended for driving in deep snow, sand, or gravel. This
    mode disables the TCS portion of the ESC and raises the
    threshold for ESC activation, which allows for more
    wheel spin than what ESC normally allows."

Traction Control System (TCS)
    This system monitors the amount of wheel spin of each
    driven wheel. If wheel spin is detected, brake pressure is
    applied to the slipping wheel(s) and engine power is
    reduced to provide enhanced acceleration and stability

A feature of the TCS system, Brake Lock Differential
    (BLD), controls the wheel spin across a driven axle. If one
    wheel on a driven axle is spinning faster than the other,
    the system will apply the brake of the spinning wheel.
    This will allow more engine torque to be applied to the
    wheel that is not spinning. This feature remains active
    even if TCS and ESC are in the ?Partial Off? mode.
    Refer
    to ?Electronic Stability Control (ESC)? in this section for
    more information.
    Last edited by Snek; 10-18-2020 at 07:26 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Hold the TC button down while starting the car and for a few seconds after until the EVIC displays "ESC OFF".

look at your max torque table...and max torque limit Transmission.

if you want a Little fun, disable fso and etc under esp tq management. then you get more slip..but beware on wet roads.