Thread: Should i turn my ISS sensor off?

Tuner

Should i turn my ISS sensor off?

I been told to turn off the ISS sensor , was told it was for torque management only, And since my torque management tables are zeroed out its best to disable the ISS otherwise it can cause issues

my set up is:
    87 Buick T-type
    LS2 58x
    4L65E

E38/T42
    08 Silverado OS

I wouldn't fully disable the torque management on a 4L60/65e. It's rather helpful if you want the transmission to live a long life.

You can make the transmission shift how you want with TM on.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    I wouldn't fully disable the torque management on a 4L60/65e. It's rather helpful if you want the transmission to live a long life.

You can make the transmission shift how you want with TM on.
    i heard the same thing, "But" my Tuner said hes shuts it down completely, i wanted to leave 25% in but he said NO!

Who says you need to listen to him?

Tons of people tune with the TM on no problem, maybe he's the one that doesn't know what he's doing.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Who says you need to listen to him?

Tons of people tune with the TM on no problem, maybe he's the one that doesn't know what he's doing.
    ECS tuned it, BP Automotive Wiring harnesses Said there Tuner whose the Best turns it off!,, Said the ISS is for torque management only and that 4L60E Transmissions before 2006 without a ISS never needed it
    Last edited by LS2Ttype; 12-04-2020 at 10:43 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LS2Ttype View Post
    ECS tuned it, BP Automotive Wiring harnesses Said there Tuner whose the Best turns it off!,, Said the ISS is for torque management only and that 4L60E Transmissions before 2006 without a ISS never needed it

Why take up other people's time with questions, if you are not going to listen to the answers ?

A significant portion of my business these days is correcting the calibrations from "professional" tuners - who seem to be popping up on every street corner - followed by going out of business in a few short years.

Completely disabling torque management with any automatic transmission is foolish, and the lazy persons way to achieve firmer shifts. With torque management enabled, it takes more knowledge, and a little more time, to tune the transmission to have the shift characteristics that the driver prefers.

Depending on which 4L60/65/70 transmission you have (13-pin, 15-pin, 17-pin), the ISS algorithm plays a role in TCC lockup. Something that your "professional" tuner obviously does not know.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon S. View Post
    Why take up other people's time with questions, if you are not going to listen to the answers ?

A significant portion of my business these days is correcting the calibrations from "professional" tuners - who seem to be popping up on every street corner - followed by going out of business in a few short years.

Completely disabling torque management with any automatic transmission is foolish, and the lazy persons way to achieve firmer shifts. With torque management enabled, it takes more knowledge, and a little more time, to tune the transmission to have the shift characteristics that the driver prefers.

Depending on which 4L60/65/70 transmission you have (13-pin, 15-pin, 17-pin), the ISS algorithm plays a role in TCC lockup. Something that your "professional" tuner obviously does not know.

Hi Jon, Doug at ECS tuned my car, He basically left the "stock" factory 08 Truck tune untouched when it comes to the Transmission side of it, besides removing the torque management and raising the WOT shift points,
    i am very unhappy with him, Its a long story but i drop off the car with him after 7 years of putting it all together and he tells me to come pick it up that its all ready, not a hello not a wave from the window Nothing , Just keys are under the mat and put the money in the drop box,
    I drive it out of the parking lot and notice in 100 feet that its not right! Then threw Facebook messenger he tells me to buy a HP tuner kit from him and he will help me set up the Transmission Parameters the way i want them,
    UNBELIEVABLE , its a 3 hour drive for me to his shop, How can a "Tuner" let someone go all that way and let the car leave his shop like that,

I agree with you , many people told me a certain percentage of TQ management should be left in especially with a 60 series transmission
    is there a way you could help me with this?

15 Pin connector
    Last edited by LS2Ttype; 12-05-2020 at 12:53 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    The good news is that the transmission is the 15-pin variant, which means that it is a 2007 or 2008 4L65/70 with an ISS. Issues often present when people attempt to use the older 13-pin 4L60 (non-ISS) transmission is such a project - which then requires some skillful custom programming to function correctly.

You never posted the calibration for the vehicle, but if the E38 ECM and T42 TCM are both programmed as a 2008 Silverado - then this should be the correct starting point for your 15-pin transmission.

As long as you are using a Truck throttle body and accelerator pedal (APP), then you should be able to get everything working the way that you would prefer.

Tuner
    The good news is that the transmission is the 15-pin variant, which means that it is a 2007 or 2008 4L65/70 with an ISS. Issues often present when people attempt to use the older 13-pin 4L60 (non-ISS) transmission is such a project - which then requires some skillful custom programming to function correctly.

You never posted the calibration for the vehicle, but if the E38 ECM and T42 TCM are both programmed as a 2008 Silverado - then this should be the correct starting point for your 15-pin transmission.

As long as you are using a Truck throttle body and accelerator pedal (APP), then you should be able to get everything working the way that you would prefer.
    Hi Jon
    Under Tune details its says
    2008 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton work truck 4.8

The OS for the ECM (E38) is a 12617631
    The TCM 24239927

Under OS is says: Code modifications: 2 Bar speed density OS: 1250216
    I do have a New Truck throttle body installed for a (2008 truck)
    The Gas pedal (APP sensor) is a corvette pedal, this is what the wire harness guys, PSI, SpearTech, BP automotive said to use

Tuner

Please let me know if you have any issues opening up the file attached below

repulled after rob switching to EFI for VE table - 1.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    .. I do have a New Truck throttle body installed for a (2008 truck)
    The Gas pedal (APP sensor) is a corvette pedal, this is what the wire harness guys, PSI, SpearTech, BP automotive said to use ...

The Gen 4 LS conversion was in its infancy about 15 years ago. People viewed the Corvette APP as being easy to mount, and readily modifiable - as it was made from metal. However, if you mix and match Truck ETC (Electronic Throttle Control) components with Corvette ETC components, then you will typically have issues - ranging from mild to severe. The typical approach to getting this mixed bag of parts to work together, was to disable all diagnostics - ETC, MAP, MAF - which raises the issue of liability.

Many shops learned from these early Gen 4 conversions, and ceased the mix and match approach. Other shops still engage in this foolishness today.

I have had a constant flow of these conversions come through the shop over the years - all with some type of issue related to the mismatch. Three such vehicles came through the shop this summer - two with Speartech systems and one with a Howell system. All were refitted with matching components, and programmed accordingly. All of the vehicle owners now feel confident that they can drive these vehicles as much as they wish - without the fear of being left stranded on the side of the road.

Advanced Tuner
    Please let me know if you have any issues opening up the file attached below

I always try to point people in the right direction, but I don't have the time to go through calibrations line by line, to offer no charge advice.