Thread: Looking for a unicorn stock tune: 2000 Silverado 5.3 with 4L80

Looking for a unicorn stock tune: 2000 Silverado 5.3 with 4L80

I'm getting ready to install the 411 PCM into my Durango swap. I'd like to use a stock tune from a 2000 Silverado 2500 that came with the 5.3 and 4L80 to start out. Apparently this was a 1-year option. There's a tune in the repository with a 5.3 and 4L80 segment swap I'll use if this one is not available, but I wanted to ask first. I've spent some time looking for a VIN from a salvage truck so I could go the GM SPS route, but no luck. I'd need to confirm the options via the truck's VIN if possible. Thanks for any help.
    Currently (2020) swapping an LM4 5.3 and an older 4L80 into a Dodge Durango. My prior projects include Chevy Gen 1 V8 into an FB RX-7, Gen 3 V8s into an FC RX-7, a MK3 Supra, a BMW E34, and an LT1 into a 280Z. Still have the Datsun, a 383 LT4 Trans Am, and some bikes.

Senior Tuner
    You will be using the segment swap. Cant remember where but on another forum this was discussed and a GM engineer weighed in and stated a 4l80 was never put on a 5.3.

Quote Originally Posted by mecanicman View Post
    You will be using the segment swap. Cant remember where but on another forum this was discussed and a GM engineer weighed in and stated a 4l80 was never put on a 5.3.

Based upon the evidence I've found, I disagree:

1. GM Heritage info:
    https://media.gm.com/content/dam/Med...Silverado.html

According to this factory data, the 5300 Vortec was optional on all models, as was the "4 speed heavy-duty electronic automatic with overdrive" (4L80E). The document notes it was only available if the GVW was over 8600, so it was only on the 2500 and up trucks, while the non heavy-duty version was available for trucks under 8600 GVW. It also lists 2 different manual transmissions based upon this weight limit.

That said, given the choice, I doubt many went with the 5.3 vs the 6.0 in a 3/4 ton truck, hence the rarity. The GM data I've looked at for 1999 and 2001 do not show this combination as being possible. I know car makers do one-year changes that don't always make sense. The first gen Durango for example got larger front brakes and rear discs for the final 2003 model year (they did not carry over to 2004). It looks like GM upped the HP & TQ for the 5.3 in 2000, so they likely made the 4L80E available due to that- just my speculation.

2. User post in this vintage Chevy trucks forum shows the original posting member bought this exact combo and another member thought the same as you:
    http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=518431

Quote Originally Posted by OP
    I am thinking about doing an LS swap into my 71. I found a 5.3 motor with a 4l80E transmission that is in a 3/4 ton 2000 model truck that was wrecked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Other Member
    I will step in the kitchen for a knife and fork to eat some crow after my last post where I once again said I've never seen one I went to GM parts express and plugged in a 00 model 3/4 and it does list the 5.3 I was WRONG and I am sorry if anyone was messed up in any way from my misinformation
    I tried to join that forum to PM the OP, but have not been approved as yet.
    Currently (2020) swapping an LM4 5.3 and an older 4L80 into a Dodge Durango. My prior projects include Chevy Gen 1 V8 into an FB RX-7, Gen 3 V8s into an FC RX-7, a MK3 Supra, a BMW E34, and an LT1 into a 280Z. Still have the Datsun, a 383 LT4 Trans Am, and some bikes.

Advanced Tuner
    Probably easier finding a tune to segment it as you have already found one.
    1997 30th SS. Torqhead 24x, TFS heads, 223/235 cam, 4l80e, S60 D1SC 14psi

Senior Tuner
    Your interpreting that information incorrectly. The options are for base/ls/lt model trucks which are option packages, not weight classes. In 1999-2000 gm did not differentiate between 2500 and 2500hd like they did 2001+. You could get a 2500 rated UNDER 8600 gvw that came 5.3 4l60 equipped. To get to 8600 gvw you had to get the 6.0 engine at which point the 4l80 became available.

I have some early files with 80e and 6.0 but no 5.3 stock with 80e

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Advanced Tuner
    The 2000 model year 2500 series Silverado and Sierra were available with the 5.3L LM7 engine, I have a stock tune on file - but that truck was equipped with a 4L60 - I have never seen one with a 4L80.

My two cents, is that none of this actually matters. The 1999 and 2000 model year P01 PCM operating systems were rudimentary - some would call them crap. By 2001, the operating systems evolved to having a single VE Table (no more Secondary or Backup VE Table), and most would properly control electric cooling fans.

I would start with a 2002 OS (12212156) from an LQ4 4L80 truck - and tune for specific project as is necessary. If you have an early model 5.3L (1999 or 2000), you will need to adjust the Fuel Injector Flow Rate to get a solid starting point for tuning.

Agree! I’d start with an 02 6.0 4l80e file

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Thanks for all the replies. If I can ever PM the fellow from the 67-72 truck forum, I can hopefully get a VIN and check it to see the factory RPOs to verify or refute what was posted. I have checked probably 50+ salvage or for sale 2000 Silverado 2500 with LM7 VINs and all of them had the 4L60 (M30) option.

I have already wired the truck in accordance with the 2000 PCM I bought. For hood clearance issues, the LM4 has an LS2 intake & injectors. I'm using an adjustable FPR to get the flow around stock levels. In addition to the intake, the only mods here are a 92mm aftermarket cable TB, shorty headers (needed for firewall & frame clearance) and a Summit 8712 mild cam. Converter is stock. Fan is a PWM from a Volvo and I have a control box for it. This truck will be a daily driver, not modded. I do have an AEM WB installed and will data collect via HPT so I can tune as needed.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by V8 Supra Builder View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. If I can ever PM the fellow from the 67-72 truck forum, I can hopefully get a VIN and check it to see the factory RPOs to verify or refute what was posted. I have checked probably 50+ salvage or for sale 2000 Silverado 2500 with LM7 VINs and all of them had the 4L60 (M30) option.

I have already wired the truck in accordance with the 2000 PCM I bought. For hood clearance issues, the LM4 has an LS2 intake & injectors. I'm using an adjustable FPR to get the flow around stock levels. In addition to the intake, the only mods here are a 92mm aftermarket cable TB, shorty headers (needed for firewall & frame clearance) and a Summit 8712 mild cam. Converter is stock. Fan is a PWM from a Volvo and I have a control box for it. This truck will be a daily driver, not modded. I do have an AEM WB installed and will data collect via HPT so I can tune as needed.
    All 99-2003 Red/Blue 0411 style pcms are the same regardless of service number on them. You can flash your 2000 pcm with a 2002 o/s without issue. The only thing to be aware of when choosing an o/s is case/isolated ground 02 sensor, make sure the o/s you choose matches what your harness is.

Quote Originally Posted by mecanicman View Post
    All 99-2003 Red/Blue 0411 style pcms are the same regardless of service number on them. You can flash your 2000 pcm with a 2002 o/s without issue. The only thing to be aware of when choosing an o/s is case/isolated ground 02 sensor, make sure the o/s you choose matches what your harness is.
    This does get convoluted... my truck uses both a Dodge and GM PCM, with split responsibilities. My harness was a blue/green (2003 I think) that came from another 5.3 I had bought some time ago. When I first started this swap, I was going to have the GM PCM run the AC, and I have a cable TB, so the blue/red looked better for that.

I've since allowed the Dodge PCM to handle the AC. E-fans are not a concern since I have a PWM box to handle the fan. I more or less made my own harness here since I had to change over the injector connectors anyway, and also since the PCM is on the passenger fender, which made many wires too long. Using my GM-SI software, I used the pinouts from a 2000 Silverado as a guide for wring the engine and trans. I still have the 2003 OEM wiring on the spreadsheet for this. Since my harness was orignaly DBW, I added in wiring for a TP sensor and IAC. I looked over the pinouts from a 2002 Silverado on GM-SI and compared them to my final harness spreadsheet.It looks like the main difference is the alternator used 2 wires in 2002 vs only 1 on the 2000. If I recall correctly, there was also a difference in how the park/neutral switch was wired, but that may have been only at the switch. I recall doing research on the O2 sensors, my truck has the square white connectors (no rear sensors), so I wired the PCM for isolated grounds.

Bottom line here is I don't want to have to do a lot of rewiring since this truck is not going be be significantly modified. If it's just a matter of adding another wire to/from the alternator that's not a big deal.

Another factor is I used my 2 credits for the 2000 segment swapped file, so now it looks like I'll have to use 2 more for the 411 PCM and then 2 more for the 2002 OS. I can't put another $200 in this truck right now. I'm considering cutting my losses and using an alternative.