Thread: 3pin to 5pin MAF swap and settings

3pin to 5pin MAF swap and settings

Installed a supercharger on a 98 today and also changed the MAF from a 3pin to a 5pin to incorporate the IAT sensor. It's a new MAF from GM.

I used frequency settings from a late model with the 5pin MAF. Car runs great until you get into a boost situation. Then throws a 1514 and goes into reduced engine power. I'm sure it's MAF related as the Throttle body hasn't been touched. I'm sure it's wired up correctly also.

When scanned the MAF shows a lb/min reading in the .080 to 2lb area then when it goes into boost it goes to around 45lbs and throws the code.

Should I put it back to stock settings and then scan and calculate the MAF settings or has anyone else tried this. I've done it before sucessfully (on later models). This is the first time it caused a problem.

(Note, car was also running a little lean and had small knocks at 100%tps. Figured I would straigten out the MAF first then work on those.

Thanks
    Joe Santacroce

98 Black/Black A4 Coupe

Cam, 3.42's, TPIS Headers,
    Random Tech Cats, Yank 3600 TC,
    FLT Tranny, 150hp NX Shot

81 - Project FrankenSport

SRIII Tube Chassis, C4 Suspension,
    QA1 Coilovers, Dana 44 w/3.90's,
    T56 6spd, Corbeaus, Tubbed,
    Blown Z06 Engine, SW Headers/Sidepipes

Your P1514/0068 table needs to be increased, so that at 100% tps, this table is not exceeded. Check your cyl air (g/sec) at wot with the scanner. I would double the P1514/0068 table's stock values to start.

Russ Kemp

Found it and updated. Will test tomorrow. Thanks!

Also found a number of previous threads on the same subject. Fun reading.
    Joe Santacroce

98 Black/Black A4 Coupe

Cam, 3.42's, TPIS Headers,
    Random Tech Cats, Yank 3600 TC,
    FLT Tranny, 150hp NX Shot

81 - Project FrankenSport

SRIII Tube Chassis, C4 Suspension,
    QA1 Coilovers, Dana 44 w/3.90's,
    T56 6spd, Corbeaus, Tubbed,
    Blown Z06 Engine, SW Headers/Sidepipes