Thread: Torque Source

Tuner in Training

Torque Source

I'm working on a 2011 5.0.

My immediate concern is an issue at idle. If the car is started it will read "Driver Demand" for Torque Source. If the Accelerator Pedal is moved it goes to "TipIn Limit" to "Driver Demand". My issue is when the pedal is released it goes to "TqBased Decel" and stays there. It never goes back to "Driver Demand" unless you press down on the pedal again.

The car will idle smooth from a cold start all the way till operating temp if you never touch the pedal.

Once you touch the pedal it goes to "TqBased Decel" the idle is all over the place and never settles down.

Log is attached.

Thanks for any insight.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Yep it's in the tune. Post it so we can confirm and provide help.
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

(+) Adding Knock Retard = Reducing Timing. PCM is seeing knock.
    (--) Lowering Knock Retard = Increasing Timing. PCM isn't seeing knock.
    __________________________________________________ ________

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.
    Don't fix it if it ain't broken | Maximum effort gets maximum results

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbolt22 View Post
    Yep it's in the tune. Post it so we can confirm and provide help.
    Here is the tune.

2011 5.0
    Vortech supercharger
    ID1000 inj
    ARH long tubes

Using the Tuning School coyote book as a guide along with this forum.

Thanks again for any help.

First major issue I'm noticing is that you've changed the Throttle Body Model tables, if you've got a factory TB, which I am going to make the assumption that you do , a good start would to be set those back to stock. Editing these tables to tune idle is not a good idea.

You've also made major changes to the Idle Airflow tables. I suggest also putting these back to stock to start.

I notice you've set your Stoich value to 13.41, why is this? If you're on pump 93 then this should be 14.08.

Focus on starting from a stock like file, and first get the car idling properly. Then take it for a drive, cruise around without touching boost and dial in your part throttle MAF.

Also I notice you're using a lot of SAE PIDs when logging. Use the specific vehicle PIDs, they are much faster.

If you need more help feel free to PM me and I'll help you work on it.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by nicks1031 View Post
    First major issue I'm noticing is that you've changed the Throttle Body Model tables, if you've got a factory TB, which I am going to make the assumption that you do , a good start would to be set those back to stock. Editing these tables to tune idle is not a good idea.

You've also made major changes to the Idle Airflow tables. I suggest also putting these back to stock to start.

I notice you've set your Stoich value to 13.41, why is this? If you're on pump 93 then this should be 14.08.

Focus on starting from a stock like file, and first get the car idling properly. Then take it for a drive, cruise around without touching boost and dial in your part throttle MAF.

Also I notice you're using a lot of SAE PIDs when logging. Use the specific vehicle PIDs, they are much faster.

If you need more help feel free to PM me and I'll help you work on it.

I appreciate your input, and will message you.

-It is an aftermarket TB. The throttle angle tables were changed to reduce the throttle angle error per the Tuning School book.

-The log is from a template provided by the Tuning School. I can set up another log with vehicle PIDs.

-Stoich is set to 13.41 because the car is running straight MS109 from VP at the moment.

The car starts good from dead cold to operating temp...but as soon as you touch the gas pedal one time it never gets back into "idle" mode. I'm sure its related to tuning the Torque Tables which is not really covered in the book. I've been reading the forum, but haven't had the lightbulb moment yet to connect all the dots.

Tuner in Training
    I would also disable OP Enrichment req under Airflow Vct tab, being boosted this could save a engine. i know its not listed in the tuning school book.

Tuner in Training
    Adjusted a couple things they dont go over in the book for you. you can compare the file to your old one

Potential Tuner
    i would return the decel torque decay rate back to factory setting.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks, I will look into these things. Haven't made time to look at this car for a bit. Gonna get back on it this afternoon.

Really hoping to solve this issue so the rest of the tune can be worked on.