Thread: E67 Readout serial number changed

E67 Readout serial number changed

I have a car with an E67 out of a 2009 ctsv that I tuned last year. Haven't had any issues with it. I recently read out the tune to adjust the tire size and noticed that the serial number for the ecm has changed to something I have never seen.

Will this cause any issues? I was able to write the file after changing the tire size with no issues. What would cause this?

original serial number.jpgWeird serial number.jpg

Advanced Tuner
    With a Gen 4 ECM (E38 or E67) the ECM Serial Number can be corrupted by using tuning software to flash a different OS (operating system) - changing the operating system should only be undertaken with GM software and tools.

It looks like the BCC is still intact - so the entire VRAM was not corrupted by the reflash - only a portion.

Strange since this was never reflashed with any different tune file. The was read out, tuned by me and reflashed with the modified read out. I then read it out recently to update the tire size and this was the serial. I have experience with the GEN 4 ECM reflashing and any time I need to change the OS I use GM TIS. I attempted to reprogram the ECM with the same VIN with GM TIS and the serial number remained corrupt.

Advanced Tuner
    My OS change example was a common way that an E67 ECM serial number could be corrupted - this can have other causes.

GM software does not change the BCC or the serial number, unique to every controller - if it did, it could then be used to "clone" controllers - defeating the whole serial number process.

I recall a post on this forum from years ago - regarding E38 ECMs - it may also apply to E67 ECMs. The gist of the post was that if you had a licensed ECM, and the serial number was somehow corrupted, if you used the Tuner Lock feature, while writing a previous "good" version of the licensed calibration, it would also correct the corrupt serial number during the application of the Tuner Lock.

After this process, you would then have to unlock the ECM - and hopefully everything would be back to normal.

I have never used the Tuner Lock feature.

I have never tried this myself.

Merely responding from memory, to try and assist you.

Understood. I didnt know that GM software didnt change the serial number but that does make sense as you explained. Everything appears to be working in the vehicle at the moment so I am not going to be playing with the tuner lock yet. I have yet to use that feature myself.

Thanks for the insight into this.