Thread: WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED!! is my tunner broke?

Tuner in Training

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED!! is my tunner broke?

I don't know what is happening to my stored files! I made some idle adjustments in a tune I have been using.. changed from 750rpm to 800rpm under idle.. I then loaded it to the ECM. Now the car will not start. so I started looking at different tables and I see ALL of the cells in the VE table are internet idle set up.hpt
    I looked at the other saved files I have and they are all changed! even my stock tune! is the software messing up?

Tuner in Training
    i found a file that had the cells in the secondary VE table "normal" i tried to copy/paste 20 KPA row from the secondary to the primary, EXAMPLE row 20kpa @400rpm reads 20.16 on the secondary table, once paste to the primary it now reads 4.52 in the same cell, what is the deal?!!

Not sure what exactly is going on.

In the tune you posted I was able to take the rows from the primary table and paste them straight into the secondary VE table with no changes in value.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    so I assume it can not be my computer since its not working for you? did you try taking from secondary and paste to primary?

I can't copy from the secondary and paste to the primary in the tune you post because there is nothing to copy in the secondary VE table. It has no other values than 0 and 1's.

Post a different tune and I can try it the other way if the secondary VE table has data in it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Really.. I wonder why it saved the file like that. I'll try to post a different file

Tuner in Training
    i looked at the file i posted and all the cells on my end have (0.) in front of all of the numbers shown in the primary table. and as for the secondary table it is the exact same as the primary

Tuner in Training
    Last edited by 99T/A398; 10-16-2020 at 09:52 PM.

If I add the decimal places then I get the smaller values than one.

Are all your data units in percent (%)?? Right click the table and down to units.

Tuner in Training
    i thought about that as well, but on the right side of the box used to enter new values it shows a percent sign. is this what you are referring to?

i tried your suggestion and if fixed the primary table but nothing changed on the secondary however copy and paste worked.

the issue happened while i was connecting the computer/hpt to the car to begin logging/tuning. i had the car running while i was getting the software loaded up on the computer while the cable was connected to the car ALDL. A little after the HPT software loaded the car stalled. i do not normally do this while the car is running, could this have caused this issue?
    Last edited by 99T/A398; 10-17-2020 at 06:36 AM.

Tuner in Training
    do have a question. I am following chopperdoc video guide fgui'VE TUNING EARLIER GM VEHICLES ' and at what point i do you call it good. I figure once the recorded values in the histogram are at its lowest? I ask because my afr readings are a bit lean driving at slow speed (15.0-17.0).

If everything is in open loop and you are tuning with an AFR error you want the error within like 3%. It should be around 14.3-15.5 afr. If the wideband is still showing 17's it's still too lean.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you. Yes I am using AFR Error ,So if after I made adjustments and now the wideband lean. 17+ I will need to ADD to the VE table to richen correct.. I knew I should've stopped

Something would be wrong if after making adjustments it keeps getting leaner.

Tuner in Training
    Well then.. haha. Wrong as in adjustment need to be made on other tables or wrong as in mechanical... sensor(s) etc.

Maybe both.

I don't know anything about what this is or what is done to it.

I can only see that the cylinder volume says this is a very large engine running small injectors. So something is the tune may be wrong for what you are working with.

Tuner in Training
    I understand, my bad for thinking it could be an easy answer considering there are a lot of variables to consider. the motor is a 6.0 bored .030 and a 3.900 stroked crank giving a 398 cid. I thought I calculated correctly for the cylinder volume of 0.81246. as for the injectors, they are the factory 1999 5.7L ls1 from the car. I have a set of "green giant" 0280155968 but I can not find all the correct information online that is needed to enter in the tunner. the info I have found was questionable by those posting it. I'm new at tuning so I'm unsure what is reliable injector info to use