Thread: 2015 Caprice Review Previous Owner's Tune?

Potential Tuner

Cool 2015 Caprice Review Previous Owner's Tune?

Hello Guys,

Just bought this 2015 Caprice. I grabbed the tune to make sure it wasn't locked and did a log for 10-20 mins of driving. Mostly steady cruising, but was a WOT in there and some part throttles. I bought HPTuners mostly to turn DOD off on my Silverado and adjust tire size, so my ability to check this tune over and see if decent is limited. I wanted to get a car and start to dabble in tuning at some point.

It did throw P2097 on the way back. From what I can tell that is for the post cat o2 sensor on bank 1? Is it safe to just turn that off on Engine Diag?

Car has Kooks headers with cats, Solo Catback exhaust, and Rotofab CAI. It does have an AEM Wideband with pass through OBD2, but I dont know if tune caught that, got to figure that part out on my side. No mounting in car, gauge is just ran under the seat but have a pod on the way.

Thanks,
    Josh
    Attached Files Attached Files

That particular log looks okay, the fuel trims are pretty spot on so that is tuned in well already.

it may be picking up a hint of knock but some of the time flutter under wide open throttle but knock retard was not being logged. You'll need to add that channel into the logs as well as the wideband channel so you can log that. Make sure that the commanded AFR and the actual AFR match up pretty well under load.

The transmission has changes too, kind of aggressive on some of the shift timing and those settings. I'm sure it feels pretty solid.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    That particular log looks okay, the fuel trims are pretty spot on so that is tuned in well already.

it may be picking up a hint of knock but some of the time flutter under wide open throttle but knock retard was not being logged. You'll need to add that channel into the logs as well as the wideband channel so you can log that. Make sure that the commanded AFR and the actual AFR match up pretty well under load.

The transmission has changes too, kind of aggressive on some of the shift timing and those settings. I'm sure it feels pretty solid.
    Thanks yeah I plan to get that gauge mounted and get it logging in hptuners, thanks for the note on adding the knock retard as well. Plan to vary the driving in log more now that I am home once I get those added in. Yeah trans feels aggressive, would actually be okay with dialing that back a bit, but will have to figure that out. It definitely runs strong though, was surprised after driving a buddies stock car how hard the car pulled for a big girl.

The transmission should be fairly simple.

In the trans tab go to torque mngt upshift and raise the torque factor settings back up some for the 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5, 5-6. Go to around .7000 and try that. I believe they are 1.000 from the factory but I'm used to those settings on trucks.

The shift time torque adder normal tables are basically your upshift speeds. You can see that most gear changes are pretty quick at higher torque levels. I tend to stick around .3000 for a shift time so it's not so abrupt or harsh at higher torque. Things can be changed at will but starting there is a good spot to see what it's like.

Try those changes and see how it drives, it should tame it down some.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    The transmission should be fairly simple.

In the trans tab go to torque mngt upshift and raise the torque factor settings back up some for the 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5, 5-6. Go to around .7000 and try that. I believe they are 1.000 from the factory but I'm used to those settings on trucks.

The shift time torque adder normal tables are basically your upshift speeds. You can see that most gear changes are pretty quick at higher torque levels. I tend to stick around .3000 for a shift time so it's not so abrupt or harsh at higher torque. Things can be changed at will but starting there is a good spot to see what it's like.

Try those changes and see how it drives, it should tame it down some.
    Thank you Ill give those a shot, haven't licensed car yet but should be soon and will report back!

Potential Tuner
    Okay car licensed! I dialed back the trans torque factor to .7ish and timing back to stock and drives much better. I may play with those more later, but more comfortable to daily for now.

Found a stock Chevy SS tune file in the repository, going to copy the TUTD settings over into my file. I recently converted the full SS interior into my Caprice and moved the shifter to the floor. Trying to get TUTD to work like factory. Have some wiring to work through on that potentially with the LIN pin.

I have attached a new log and added in the wideband sensor reading next to the commanded, seems to stay pretty close. I added in the knock retard as well. I keep throwing a P2097 code. Anyone know anything about this? Through my research haven't found a solid answer, but seems to be post catalyst fuel trim system too rich bank 1. I have Kooks with hi flow cats and visually all looks good, no leaks. Wondering if I just need to turn that code off since its related to a rear o2. It threw it during this log attached and I attached my current tune file as well. I have saved freeze frame data from a code scanner that Ill attach as a video.

http://www.youtube.com/shorts/aqFBn-teMXo

Carprice 12-4-2020.hpl

2015 Chevy Caprice 3309 Step 1 trans torq factor to .7 and shift timing torque adder tables back.hpt
    Last edited by Jrob56; 12-15-2020 at 09:32 AM.