Thread: Where is this torque management limit coming from?

Tuner in Training

Where is this torque management limit coming from?

3.6 with bigger injectors...the only mod, but seems to be enough to make the engine calculate a bit more torque at cruise and part throttle areas and is causing it to hit what appears to be a torque management wall The log is indicating 100% engine load and timing nose dives along with a stumbling engine. Very east to reproduce and pulls timing every time it hits that 230 ft/lb wall at 100% load. Driver demand is logging as higher, but timing is pulled. Trans Max Engine Request is logging 409 ft/lb at max. I increased max engine torque limit in trans TM but no change. Also tried increasing Max FW Tq tables.

Is there a table that I'm missing that tells the trans or engine at what percent to enable TM? Ideally I'd like to raise the limit just a bit.

Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    Post tune and log....

Tuner in Training
    Attached is the tune, the log was too big to post (18 Meg) so I shared it at the OneDrive Link below.

Observations:
    - Since adding the larger injectors, logged Air Charge is about 100-200 mg higher than same driving conditions with stock injectors. I assume a lot of this is calculated and plays a role in the issue I'm seeing, but still trying to wrap my head around the formula and data flow.
    - Fuel Flow Rate is logged around 20 lb/hr during the issues vs around 15 lb/hr with the stock injectors. I assume this is included as a variable in some calculation related to air charge or torque.

Log timestamp 18:29 is large capture of the issue. Also present in other part throttle lower speed areas. Logged misfires can also locate it in the log.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjKoA8dq6Q1c3yVp...QZNp8?e=ZdOGfp

Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by hoover; 11-01-2020 at 09:01 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Hey man. Have you raised the MAX FW TQ TABLES FOR DESIRED TORQUE? I see in your first post that you have. Have you tried switching to and changing indicated tq tables? Heck it may be following indicated tq even though its not switched on. Hopefully more people chime in to give you more ideas.
    Last edited by Trapper723; 11-01-2020 at 10:00 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks trapper.

Yes, I did try the MAX FW tables. Which indicated tq tables are you referring to?

Also, this morning I was looking at part throttle base timing tables and they actually do align to the low timing I'm seeing during the stumble at the logged aircharge, so I'm going to try adding some timing there today and see if it makes a difference.

So given the above, maybe I'm not hitting a TM issue, just a really low commanded timing due to the much higher aircharge vs when running the stock injectors.

So next question, why would just adding larger injectors increase the aircharge? How is aircharge calculated for a given condition? Only change in the tune when injectors were added was PW, Fuel mass, and offsets.

Thanks!

Tuner in Training
    So, adding the timing to the base table helped quite a bit. Not quite perfect, but at least I finally found something that makes a difference.

2 questions still trying to figure out:
    - How is aircharge calculated?
    - How is "Engine Load" logged item calculated or sourced?