Thread: Bad Flash Read with Red Boxes and Unhandled Exception

Advanced Tuner

Bad Flash Read with Red Boxes and Unhandled Exception

I'm helping my friend with a wrecked 2015 Mustang he just bought. I read the file out of the ECM and I am thinking it may have been tuned, it runs really rich, stuck in open loop, but so far the sensor outputs I can see look fine. I have never really messed with Fords before.

What's weird is when I pulled the read out of the ECM it appears corrupt? HP Tuners recognizes some of the parameters, but others it just shows a red box and when you click on it it gives the visual basic run error dialog box?

Capture.JPG

Anyone else ever seen this before?

I'm wondering if the previous owner reflashed the ECM? or it was maybe modified?

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    contact support, issue with definitions. also could be that its not a stock strategy
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SultanHassanMasTuning View Post
    contact support, issue with definitions. also could be that its not a stock strategy
    Ok thanks, my thoughts are that its not stock. After wondering why his car was so rich, and realizing that the MAF was missing when he bought it, it hit me. I think the previous owner put in a high flow MAF and changed the MAF calibration, I told him to go unplug the MAF sensor and see how it ran and that appeared to fix it.

But I thought HP Tuners would be able to read the calibration no matter if it was an aftermarket flash or not? Does an SCT or other handheld tuner able to modify the flash and then write it so its unreadable through the ODB port by HP Tuners?

Quote Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
    Ok thanks, my thoughts are that its not stock. After wondering why his car was so rich, and realizing that the MAF was missing when he bought it, it hit me. I think the previous owner put in a high flow MAF and changed the MAF calibration, I told him to go unplug the MAF sensor and see how it ran and that appeared to fix it.

But I thought HP Tuners would be able to read the calibration no matter if it was an aftermarket flash or not? Does an SCT or other handheld tuner able to modify the flash and then write it so its unreadable through the ODB port by HP Tuners?
    Yes , most probably it was tuned with sct and you wont be able to read it with hptuner correctly unless sct takes t back to stock

Advanced Tuner
    I should be able to license the controller and reflash a stock file correct? I don't know if there are stock files available for Ford stuff though.

I think I'm going to try flashing a stock ford file back to it. I'm kinda of scared about bricking it, but to her a subscription to download a stock ford file and flash it back with the Ford tool is going to be really expensive. I guess if it does brick it then i would have to get the Ford tool anyway. Anyone think it will work given that it likely had a SCT tune on it?

sct can write over this tune without issue and i can send you sct stock file if you need
    Turbocharged COYOTE

PM for E tune / Remote Tuning
    [email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    Problem is I don't have an SCT, I only have MPVI1. You think I could full flash a stock Ford file over it and be ok? HPT support told me I would have to go to the dealer, but honestly I feel like HPT support just tells you to go to the dealer all the time because they don't want the liability.