Thread: 07 ford f150 5.4 cam phaser delete vs. disable

Potential Tuner

07 ford f150 5.4 cam phaser delete vs. disable

Iam working on a ford f150 5.4. I just replaced the timing chain, guides, tensioners and phasers cause they were noisy and the guide on the passengers side was broke so pulled the oil pan and got the little pieces out of the strainer and put in a new oil pump. the truck seemed to run good before just the rattling noise like all of them. after i put it all back together the truck runs good no noise put at a hot idle the motor comes all to pieces with the phasers going crazy oil pressure is only 25psi at this time. so my main question is do i have to put the lockouts in the phasers or can i just disable it and turn the codes off without the lockouts and if i can do this will the phasers be noisy cause iam assuming there's no oil in the phaser after you disable them. any advice and suggestions are appreciated just wondering if anybody's really tried it before and what the results were if so. Ive done several with the Livernois kit but have just fairly recently bought HP tuners to mess around with here and there. just curious if itll work with out the added labor.

Advanced Tuner
    you need more oil pressure 35 psi minimum. You need to shim the bypass to raise it.

Disabling them just stops the ecu from controlling them. They will still mechanicaly get oil to them. No different than disabling a cylinder in the tune. The cylinders piston and all will still rotate.

You dont need to lock them out just simply raise the pressure.

Also if you hadnt done a kam reser after fixing it you might want to try that as well since the phaser control will be affected now that its fixed. Regardless though you need to shim it to raise the pressure.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by decipha View Post
    you need more oil pressure 35 psi minimum. You need to shim the bypass to raise it.

Disabling them just stops the ecu from controlling them. They will still mechanicaly get oil to them. No different than disabling a cylinder in the tune. The cylinders piston and all will still rotate.

You dont need to lock them out just simply raise the pressure.

Also if you hadnt done a kam reser after fixing it you might want to try that as well since the phaser control will be affected now that its fixed. Regardless though you need to shim it to raise the pressure.
    I am fixing to tear into this motor again. I bought the timing kit with all ford parts. I also put the better oil pump in. my oil pressure on a hot day is 20 to 22.

Could you be a little more clear on what you are shimming to raise the oil pressure

what is kam reser?

Advanced Tuner

Potential Tuner
    Thank you for the link, lots of good information

Tuner in Training
    Will someone explain what exactly it is?:

"I highly recommend on all 3 valve engines to modify the oil bypass with a spacer to get more oil pressure."