Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DQ250 6-speed DSG Knowledgebase

Potential Tuner
    I'm glad I'm not the only one to do this!

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TewSlo View Post
    Here is a DQ250 Tune you can copy or learn from, the choice is yours.

Edit : Beautiful technical write-up on your site, I can appreciate your efforts!
    How can I view this file? Yes I'm a noob.

Tuner
    You need to download VCMSuite and have a MPVI2 connected to your computer.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGP View Post
    I have a question for all of you guys that are more knowledgeable than I am. My car started as a FWD model and later I added the AWD hardware, currently I am using a transmission with longer gear ratios as, as intended for a FWD car, but do you think that swapping to an AWD transmission with lower gear ratios will give the car a better acceleration from standstill, I still have the DSG from an R32 that I used as a donor, would it be possible to use the R32 mechatronic with a 2.0T engine?
    The shorter the gears(higher ratio numerically) will accelerate faster. It effective is a torque multiplier.

With vw/audi typically the final drive is the biggest change between different applications(engines) that use the same style trans. Individual gear ratios can change as well but typically those are pretty minor. For example 02A/J 5spd manual trans that was used for years came with anything from a 3.18 to 4.24 final drive. The 4.24 will accelerate noticeably faster with the trade off of more shifting and much higher cruising rpm and lower top speed. Basically gotta find that trade off. A short geared, awd, dsg car would be awesome for acceleration but the shorter the gear the higher rpm youre running driving down the highway.

You could probably use the R32 mech unit but guess at some point there would be issues between generations of ecu/tcu communications.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGP View Post
    I have a question for all of you guys that are more knowledgeable than I am. My car started as a FWD model and later I added the AWD hardware, currently I am using a transmission with longer gear ratios as, as intended for a FWD car, but do you think that swapping to an AWD transmission with lower gear ratios will give the car a better acceleration from standstill, I still have the DSG from an R32 that I used as a donor, would it be possible to use the R32 mechatronic with a 2.0T engine?
    It's a tough combination to do for good standstill acceleration.You need to have long first gear to avoid wheel spinning.
    You can use any mechatronic you want BUT you have to change the gear ratios from the TCU file.
    But firstly you have to be sure that mpvi2 supports CXX software from R32.Most R32 uses this software version
    Hope I helped

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaptuning View Post
    The shorter the gears(higher ratio numerically) will accelerate faster. It effective is a torque multiplier.

With vw/audi typically the final drive is the biggest change between different applications(engines) that use the same style trans. Individual gear ratios can change as well but typically those are pretty minor. For example 02A/J 5spd manual trans that was used for years came with anything from a 3.18 to 4.24 final drive. The 4.24 will accelerate noticeably faster with the trade off of more shifting and much higher cruising rpm and lower top speed. Basically gotta find that trade off. A short geared, awd, dsg car would be awesome for acceleration but the shorter the gear the higher rpm youre running driving down the highway.

You could probably use the R32 mech unit but guess at some point there would be issues between generations of ecu/tcu communications.
    I did some experimentation, installed the mechatronics from the 2WD trans into the AWD trans, I was able to do basic settings and to change the gears on the shifter from P to D and R, but as soon as the car started moving the TCU freaks out and cuts all power to the wheels. Apparently the speed from the input/output shafts do not match what the TCU expects.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Mactune View Post
    It's a tough combination to do for good standstill acceleration.You need to have long first gear to avoid wheel spinning.
    You can use any mechatronic you want BUT you have to change the gear ratios from the TCU file.
    But firstly you have to be sure that mpvi2 supports CXX software from R32.Most R32 uses this software version
    Hope I helped
    I was able to read the TCU from the R32 with HPt, but could not find any parameters related to the gear ratios, here is the file:VR6 3.2 DQ250 DSG base.hpt

when you do some swap like you did, you have to change the tooth count of the gears, which are mapped in the file, but I dunno if they are available with hpt.

let me guess, trans shifts 1->2->limp... i know this issue pretty well as I stuffed a DSG where I mixed gears to my desire into my 1/4Mile Opel Corsa Ecotec Turbo.
    Last edited by dertobi; 03-24-2021 at 02:54 AM.

Tuner in Training
    You are right "trans shifts 1->2->limp", I could not find any parameter related to the gears, now I am going to try R32 trans with its original TCU and I will need to tune the new TCU to hold more torque, do you have any pointer on how to do that?

you will need a professional tuning software to change that in the binary file, and of course you have to find the corresponding values in binary first.
    otherwise you may open a HPT support ticket and ask if they can add these parameters in HPT.
    3rd option: you could use User defined parameters, but therefore you also would need the binary and have to know the adresses of the values in the file, here I could help maybe, if you tell me your software number i could see if I have the file and tell you the adresses or make an xdf to add it.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by dertobi View Post
    you will need a professional tuning software to change that in the binary file, and of course you have to find the corresponding values in binary first.
    otherwise you may open a HPT support ticket and ask if they can add these parameters in HPT.
    3rd option: you could use User defined parameters, but therefore you also would need the binary and have to know the adresses of the values in the file, here I could help maybe, if you tell me your software number i could see if I have the file and tell you the adresses or make an xdf to add it.
    Thanks for offering your help, I already have the user defined parameters option activated on HPt, the TCU that I have installed right now is tuned with Unitronic and I am not able to read or change anything, but I have a spare one with the stock software that can be tweaked, here is the info:

Part No SW: 02E 300 051 R HW: 02E 927 770 AM

these numbers are not enough, can you find something like this:
    0691h3202ea_

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by dertobi View Post
    these numbers are not enough, can you find something like this:
    0691h3202ea_
    I think I can get them, here is the data from the R32 TCU, is this ok?

Hardware DQ250_02E_Exx, TCM, VAG
    Operating System 02E300051R__1959

sorry thats still not the right one to identify the file correctly

Potential Tuner
    Hello! New to the forums, don?t actually have an HPtuners device yet, I?m trying to get to the root of an issue and see if anyone else here has any input. I have a 2012 GTI with the dq250, and I am having a slip issue at peak torque. I?m pro tuned on the accessport, and the answer I keep coming across from dsg tuners pretty much everywhere is that the way the accessport reports torque to the tcu is not allowing the maximum clutch pressure to be reached, causing my slip issue. Basically my question has 2 parts.

1. Would I be able to use the accessport for my ecu tuning, and simply use the HPtuners software for my tcu?

2. Has anyone found any workarounds through the software that would allow me or my tuner to ?re-map? clutch pressures in such a way that they respond correctly to the torque reading from the accessport?

My main reason for wanting to stay with the Cobb for my ecu tuning is that the car relies heavily on methanol for fueling and octane, and so it?s helpful to have the screen in the vehicle in order to monitor cylinder by cylinder at all times to make sure everything is working as it should. I?m not sure how ?out there? this question is, or if there?s anyone here that had the same issue and that?s what has lead them here? Appreciate any response and information. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Whitegti12 View Post

1. Would I be able to use the accessport for my ecu tuning, and simply use the HPtuners software for my tcu?
    This one is easy. Yes. The transmission and engine use separate computers, so you can license and flash them independently.

2. Has anyone found any workarounds through the software that would allow me or my tuner to ?re-map? clutch pressures in such a way that they respond correctly to the torque reading from the accessport?
    I have a dq250 0d9 (different revision) and there are some pressure offset tables that might help. I haven't needed to use them on my car though. Your slip is happening in gear, not during a shift? Is your transmission tune currently stock? Also not to dissuade you from using HP Tuners, but does your COBB tuner not offer a DSG tune?
    Previous
    2007 Mustang GT w/ Whipple supercharger
    2013 Focus ST
    2016 Volkswagen GTI

Current
    2019 Golf R

Potential Tuner
    Unfortunately Cobb never released dsg flashing for the mk6 chassis so that?s not an option. I really wish it was.

Slip only happens in gear at peak torque. After that it?s fine, and shifts are as perfect as they ever were.

I?m currently on the integrated engineering dsg tune, but I also had revo, trans slips at the same point on both

Unfortunately Cobb never released dsg flashing for the mk6 chassis so that?s not an option. I really wish it was.

Slip only happens in gear at peak torque. After that it?s fine, and shifts are as perfect as they ever were.

I?m currently on the integrated engineering dsg tune, but I also had revo, trans slips at the same point on both
    So there are a couple of tables that look like they offset the line pressure in the trans. You could raise the rpm based one in the area where you make peak torque. You could also try logging the torque your ECM is sending and raise the line pressure offset in that area.

Capture.PNG

Keep in mind, I haven't tired this on my car. Only speculating
    You will also have to flash back to stock with IE and start with a stock file on HP Tuners.
    Previous
    2007 Mustang GT w/ Whipple supercharger
    2013 Focus ST
    2016 Volkswagen GTI

Current
    2019 Golf R

Potential Tuner
    That?s extremely helpful. Thank you so much. I?ll report back

your problem is in the ECM tune, not the TCU, reported torque has to be correct, otherwise it's really a PITA to get Clutch pressures up.