Thread: What's involved to swap an ECU properly?

What's involved to swap an ECU properly?

I'll try to keep it short, it looks like some pinecone has had a tuner on my truck (2005 Ram 2500 5.7L) before me, and because of that the ECU isn't reporting to my MPVI2 that it's an NGC, it isn't reporting anything really.

The dealership is telling me they aren't sure if they can flash the ECU back to factory, and it'll cost $139 CAD just to look.

It seems like it would be better to just swap the ECU altogether, but I know the VIN would need to be changed, is there anything else required programming wise that's need to swap a "new" ECU into my truck so I can actually tune it?

nope , if it has the same part number as your existing ecu then just change the vin and you're good to go

In another thread around here about tuning the 545rfe someone mentioned that to do a swap like they did that you need the vehicles pin..... I'm not sure if that applies to a 2005 though because he was talking about a CAN system and an 07 ECU

Tuner in Training
    That depends on the scanner used. I just swapped my 06 ram with a 07 pcm and all you have to do is change the vin. There should be no need for the PIN number.
    2006 ram 5.7 4x4
    90mm throttle body
    Comp thumper cam
    Mild port and polish on heads
    Full headers with off road y pipe 3? single exhaust
    8 speed out of 19 ram thanks to Sound German
    m112 supercharger

you will need a pin code if the other ecu is used , then you can match the v number by any workshop scanner then you tune any file you like from hp .
    thats what i di in my workshop

Tuner in Training
    Not trying to step on any toes but you do not need the vin number when changing pcm. It is a part of my business and I do it all the time including the one I just did on my 06 ram.
    2006 ram 5.7 4x4
    90mm throttle body
    Comp thumper cam
    Mild port and polish on heads
    Full headers with off road y pipe 3? single exhaust
    8 speed out of 19 ram thanks to Sound German
    m112 supercharger