Thread: Help setting up multiple AFR500v2's

Advanced Tuner

Help setting up multiple AFR500v2's

I started with a single NGK AFX on input 1 for bank 1 for a decade, then I added a AFR500v2 on input 2 for bank 2 a few months ago so I could compare both banks. Due to the slightly different logic, I replaced the AFX with a second AFR500v2 a few weeks ago. In the channel layout, I changed the transform for input 1 to use the AFR500 (even though it's technically the same as the AFX), and the lambda readings in the two channels are expectedly different.

1) In the Chart layout, I previously had an entry for the AFX and the AFR500. When I change the AFX parameter to AFR500v2, the chart graphs became exactly the same. Is there a way to distinguish between the same type of wideband controller on multiple inputs in the Chart area? Is there a better way than telling the Channel that input 1 has an AFX on it?
    2) In the Graphs layout, for the VE/MAF graphs that reference EQ ratio error. How do I know against which controller the EQ Ratio value is derived from? Can I change which controller the EQ Ratio references?

Thanks!
    Last edited by JimMueller; 10-21-2020 at 05:23 PM.
    1998 NBM Camaro Z28
    LS3 motor
    Mod list

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMueller View Post
    I started with a single NGK AFX on input 1 for bank 1 for a decade, then I added a AFR500v2 on input 2 for bank 2 a few months ago so I could compare both banks. Due to the slightly different logic, I replaced the AFX with a second AFR500v2 a few weeks ago. In the channel layout, I changed the transform for input 1 to use the AFR500 (even though it's technically the same as the AFX), and the lambda readings in the two channels are expectedly different.

1) In the Chart layout, I previously had an entry for the AFX and the AFR500. When I change the AFX parameter to AFR500v2, the chart graphs became exactly the same. Is there a way to distinguish between the same type of wideband controller on multiple inputs in the Chart area? Is there a better way than telling the Channel that input 1 has an AFX on it?
    2) In the Graphs layout, for the VE/MAF graphs that reference EQ ratio error. How do I know against which controller the EQ Ratio value is derived from? Can I change which controller the EQ Ratio references?

Thanks!
    The Transforms is the same as the AFX yes, did you should choose AFR500 V2 (WIDE) and not the AFR500? The AFR500 V2 (WIDE) is only if you have jumper 2 installed which change the standard range(9-16) to the WIDE range(6-20). The wide range feature was introduced with the AFR500V2 hence the name, but not all AFR500V2 are set to the WIDE(extreme) range. Confusing I know.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by morganf View Post
    The Transforms is the same as the AFX yes, did you should choose AFR500 V2 (WIDE) and not the AFR500? The AFR500 V2 (WIDE) is only if you have jumper 2 installed which change the standard range(9-16) to the WIDE range(6-20). The wide range feature was introduced with the AFR500V2 hence the name, but not all AFR500V2 are set to the WIDE(extreme) range. Confusing I know.
    No, I'm using the "Ballenger AFR500" entry, the version that doesn't include V2, to ensure I have the correct transform.
    1998 NBM Camaro Z28
    LS3 motor
    Mod list

All of the AFX and AFX2 and AFR500 and AFR500v2's have a boot up procedure that you use to calibrate your analog inputs with.

Here is Copy/Paste from the AFX2 Manual:
    After you power-up the AFX2, the analog output will read:
    1. 1.000 V for 10 seconds, then
    2. 4.000 V for 10 seconds, then
    3. 0V until the sensor countdown warm-up is completed, then
    4. 5V if the sensor is in air.
    For reference the narrow range output is as follows:
    0.00v = 0.6177 lambda
    1.00v = 0.7138 lambda
    4.00v = 1.0021 lambda
    5.00v = 1.0981 lambda

Wide Range:
    0.00v = 0.4118 lambda
    1.00v = 0.6040 lambda
    4.00v = 1.1805 lambda
    5.00v = 1.3727 lambda

So log the boot up of the WB's and adjust your transfer function accordingly. This is where the old 2.24 scanner was light years better, it gave you a list of specified voltage and values so you could specifically adjust the transfer function at the precise spot.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Advanced Tuner
    I checked the voltages in the past here: https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...dual-widebands, but since I've changed the controllers between banks I'll check it again. I thought I remember reading some place here that we weren't supposed to change the transfer formulas, but to correct the physical problem instead?
    1998 NBM Camaro Z28
    LS3 motor
    Mod list

Quote Originally Posted by JimMueller View Post
    I checked the voltages in the past here: https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...dual-widebands, but since I've changed the controllers between banks I'll check it again. I thought I remember reading some place here that we weren't supposed to change the transfer formulas, but to correct the physical problem instead?
    The problem isn't always solvable outside of adjusting the transfer function. Log the raw voltage coming out of the WB and see if it reads 1v and 4v on the dot. If not then you're readings will be skewed since those are calibrated voltage outputs.

I've noticed a variance in the HPT box's themselves just by changing inputs with no other changes. The ADC of the box itself isn't adjustable by us so the only fix is to use as clean of a source for power/ground and then verify the readings at bootup to make sure the readings are correct.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400