Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supercharger installed on 99 3.8 Camaro, tuning advice.

Tuner in Training

Supercharger installed on 99 3.8 Camaro, tuning advice.

Good afternoon. OK, long story short...I need a tune checklist of sorts if at all possible. I have a 99 Chevy camaro 3.8 V6. I have uploaded a stock Pontiac GTP tune since that came with the same 3.8L motor that's supercharged from factory. I have purchased and installed a Procharger Supercharger kit, with supporting upgrades. So basically I have a Pontiac GTP tune with a supercharger pushing about 11lbs of boost, a highflow fuel pump, a Holley 48lb/hr @ 43psi injector upgrade, colder spark plugs (5? I believe), long tube headers, wideband 02, and intercooler. I know I have to input the new injectors since the stock injectors are 19lb/h and I now have 48/lb/h, but other then that...I don't know what else I need to change, so if anyone can, would you mind providing me with a checklist of things I need to adjust in HP. Because right now its not even starting with the base GTP tune. Thank you for any assistance and suggestions.

First off the list. If you search on Holley injectors there are many posts regarding no data for those injectors. No data will be a no go. Typically you should ONLY get injectors that have good plug and play data. LOTS of them out there and most injectors are a lot cheaper than the Holleys.
    Next why are you not using the programmer that comes with the Procharger? They would have this all worked out.
    Last. Way to long of a list. Might want to get a professional base tune first.

Senior Tuner
    Supercharged 3800 in an Fbody? That's so cool. I'd love to help out with your project. TheMechanic is correct about the Holley injectors. Still, if you supply a part number for them I can scratch something together that'll probably get the job done.

Oh yeah. Post the tune also.

Post your tune

Senior Tuner
    You didn't flash an actual GTP tune did you? Should've copied settings from that tune to yours then written the changes.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for all the helpful info brother! I bought the procharger from a guy who blew his motor. Came with all the parts other then the mounting plate that I had to fabricate. And they don't make the kit anymore, luckily I was able to find stone old installation instructions on the net.
    I've been trying to find a place to tune it, but shops here in Maryland do not tune anymore due to some lame law passed. So I've gotta figure something out. But thanks again for the advice.

Tuner in Training
    The Mechanic ^

Tuner in Training
    @SiriusC1024 SiriusC1024 Thanks brother, its definitely going to be bad ass! Yeah I already flashed the GPT tune. Figured the fuel and timing would be closer to where I need to be as opposed to the stock 3.8 camaro. How do I post the tune in here?

Tuner in Training
    Vbb1994 appreciate any help you can provide, how do I post a tune on here?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    First off the list. If you search on Holley injectors there are many posts regarding no data for those injectors. No data will be a no go. Typically you should ONLY get injectors that have good plug and play data. LOTS of them out there and most injectors are a lot cheaper than the Holleys.
    Next why are you not using the programmer that comes with the Procharger? They would have this all worked out.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
    Supercharged 3800 in an Fbody? That's so cool. I'd love to help out with your project. TheMechanic is correct about the Holley injectors. Still, if you supply a part number for them I can scratch something together that'll probably get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Vbb1994 View Post
    Post your tune
    Trying to figure out how to reply to each person on here lol

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post

Post your tune
    Quote Originally Posted by FelixRican86 View Post
    @SiriusC1024 SiriusC1024 Thanks brother, its definitely going to be bad ass! Yeah I already flashed the GPT tune. Figured the fuel and timing would be closer to where I need to be as opposed to the stock 3.8 camaro. How do I post the tune in here?
    Thanks brother, its definitely going to be bad ass! Yeah I already flashed the GPT tune. Figured the fuel and timing would be closer to where I need to be as opposed to the stock 3.8 camaro. How do I post the tune in here?

Tuner in Training
    Post your tune
    Tune attached. Sorry for the delay, had to login to my computer to attach the file. Thanks again for any assistance
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training

Sorry for the delay, had to login to my computer, I replied to you message above as well from my phone. Thanks again for any assistance. Tune attached

Tuner in Training

Oh, and the injectors are Holleys #552-488

Senior Tuner
    Give me some details on your fuel system. Stock?

What about the tune? It's pure GTP (what year?) or has any table been modified? The fuel flow rates seem low for a GTP. Those are supposed to be 36lb/hr. What all have you done to it?

I've got a good start on getting injector data setup. Would like clarification. Thanks.

Tuner in Training
    Give me some details on your fuel system. Stock?

What about the tune? It's pure GTP (what year?) or has any table been modified? The fuel flow rates seem low for a GTP. Those are supposed to be 36lb/hr. What all have you done to it?

I've got a good start on getting injector data setup. Would like clarification. Thanks.
    So if I'm not mistaken, its from a 99-2000 GTP, its possible that the stock camero tune was used and some GTP settings were copied over, what's the injector size that it currently reads? I believe the stock camaro is 19lb/hr.

But as far as upgrades I put in a higher flow fuel pump, if I remember correctly its 255lph. And of course the injectors I told you about. I also installed colder spark plugs. Only other thing is a wideband 02. Oh yeah, headers and a full exhaust with a cat delete. Its a Manuel 5sp. And I have an intercooler that I still have to put on. And I was told the procharger has a smaller wheel, so its pushing somewhere around 11psi. The tune should have the speed limiter removed and I believe running off of 1 02 sensor. The car doesn't have a MAF...it has an air temp sensor though. I'll send you some pics when I get home.

Anything else you need? And again, I appreciate your assistance. 🙏

Senior Tuner
    First of all, flashing the GTP file was a bad idea. Look at the tune. All the trans settings are erased. Keep in mind that there's a lot more going on than can be seen by HPT. The tables present are there because the devs created definitions for them. Doesn't mean they got everything. No way to tell what all is different between a GTP file and your original. Could be things like firing order, injector timing, etc.

Write-entire your original file to your vehicle.

Take this attached tune and run a compare (Compare>Open Compare File). Manually copy any difference in the Engine section to the original. Save-as. Write-configuration.

This tune should work. It's assuming you're using the factory 1999 F-body fuel pressure regulator. If that's not the case let me know. Fuel tables setup for the Holley's. Relevant 2000 GTP data transferred over.

Let me know how it goes or if you have questions.
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 06-22-2023 at 06:49 AM.

Tuner in Training
    First of all, flashing the GTP file was a bad idea. Look at the tune. All the trans settings are erased. Keep in mind that there's a lot more going on than can be seen by HPT. The tables present are there because the devs created definitions for them. Doesn't mean they got everything. No way to tell what all is different between a GTP file and your original. Could be things like firing order, injector timing, etc.

Take this attached tune and run a compare (Compare>Open Compare File). Manually copy any difference in the Engine section to the original. Save-as. Write-configuration.

This tune should work. It's assuming you're using the factory 1999 F-body fuel pressure regulator. If that's not the case let me know. Fuel tables setup for the Holley's. Relevant 2000 GTP data transferred over.

Bro, you are a LIFE SAVER!!!! Much appreciated. And yes I do have a stock fuel pressure regulator, do you think it needs to be upgraded?
    And just for clarity, I should get the stock tune for my vehicle, then copy over all the engine information in the tune you just sent me, and upload that to the ECU...correct?
    Where would i find the stock tune for my vehicle at? Is there one on the HP site? Sorry, im a super newbie to tuning.
    And if you have Instagram, feel free to add me...I have some pics and videos of my set up on there. IG: Felixrican86

And again, i can not thank you enough, i went to at least a dozen tune shops all over Maryland trying to find a place that would tune it. So thank you. Ill be uploading it over the weekend, so ill keep you posted.

Senior Tuner
    Write-entire stock config THEN copy over the info from the tune I posted to your file. Save it as a new one. Write-configuration.

If you don't have a stock tune (should've saved it as a backup) then check the repository. Be sure to change your VIN.

Thank me when it works

Keep me posted I'm interested in your build.

Tuner in Training

Newbie question, I thought he said he was running 48# injectors but your tune looks like it's setup for somewhere around a 22# injector?