Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Loop Maf Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by CTX-SLPR
    A WBO2 isn't rated for the heat of a pre-turbo location, can I just swap the leads from the preturbo NBO2 to the post turbo WBO2 for tuning?

Thanks,
    Side note hijack closure:
    Looking at all the L67 turbo kits and the O2's are all post turbo in the downpipe. I will have to relocate the O2 bung from an LC2 turbo6 position to a more L67 like downpipe possition.
    CLOSED

When you disconnect the stock O2 are you feeding the ECM with the WBO2 output in emulator mode?

Thanks,
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    Experimental Physicist

Current:
    1964 Riviera (4.1L Buick Turbo6, 4L80E, L67 PCM)
    2012 Hyundai Genesis Sedan (3.8 GDI, 8spd Aisin)
    1998 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 (454, 4L80E)
    SOLD:
    1970 Riviera
    1965 Riviera GS (465 Super Wildcat, SP400) #'s Matching
    1967 Skylark Deluxe
    1997.5 Regal GS

Quote Originally Posted by mtcrusan
    The .cfg is the latest I used as per Russ's reccomendations. The .hpl is the scan after flashing the .cfg. I should be resetting the fuel trims each time? TIA!
    Your fuel trims are at 0 in the scan, resetting them before scanning is a good practice. But your entering DFCO, so ease up on
    the throttle when slowing down, or shift into neutral.

Your EGR valve is still enabled.

Russ Kemp

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K
    Your fuel trims are at 0 in the scan, resetting them before scanning is a good practice. But your entering DFCO, so ease up on
    the throttle when slowing down, or shift into neutral.

Your EGR valve is still enabled.

Russ Kemp

Thanks Russ I know this is very simple for you, but I'm still trying to learn. How do I disable the EGR. Sorry for the elementary questions.
    I must be missing something. I cannot seem to find the EGR "enable / disable" in my file.
    Last edited by mtcrusan; 03-07-2008 at 07:02 AM.
    Mitchell

'04 Supercharged MC SS

MOD LIST
    Custom PCM, Ram Air Hood w/ Air box, Intense MPS w/3.6", R/T DP with Ubend delete & HF CAT, LC-1 WB, GMPP Cat Back, Jacobs wires, 180 T-stat, & an Optima Red Top

Disable the EGR as shown. Also set all EGR codes to 3 - no error reported.

Russ Kemp

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks Russ,
    You are a HUGE help to us less knowledgable people. I can only speak for myself, but I appreciate your input and value your opinion.
    Mitchell

'04 Supercharged MC SS

MOD LIST
    Custom PCM, Ram Air Hood w/ Air box, Intense MPS w/3.6", R/T DP with Ubend delete & HF CAT, LC-1 WB, GMPP Cat Back, Jacobs wires, 180 T-stat, & an Optima Red Top

Advanced Tuner
    I don't if I fried my PCM or not, but I get the attached error code and the car will not turn over. If anyone seen this please post a fix or something look at. I have the stock PCM in my garage. TIA!
    Mitchell

'04 Supercharged MC SS

MOD LIST

Tuner
    Did you try a full write?
    2004 GTP: 3.8L SC, XP CAM, 85MM Maf, 105# Springs, 3.3" Pulley, Autolite 103's K&N CAI, 3" Downpipe: TOG Headers, #39 Cobra Injectors, ZZP Crate motor with CNC Ported Heads, NGK AFX Wideband

Advanced Tuner
    Yes I tried a wrire entire.
    Mitchell

'04 Supercharged MC SS

MOD LIST

Advanced Tuner
    I fixed it. I disconnected the battery for about 30 minutes. After that I did a write entire.
    Mitchell

'04 Supercharged MC SS

MOD LIST

Advanced Tuner
    I'm having a problem trying to get my MAF AFR error dialed in. On one scan it will be on the lean side and on the next scan after the flash I get a rich condition. I am using Paste Special > Multiple by % - Half. Is there something I am not doing correctly? Attached are a screenshot of the MAF AFR error and my current .cfg and .hpl files. TIA!
    Mitchell

'04 Supercharged MC SS

MOD LIST

Tuner
    I think that is ok. This will get you to 0 when you lock in at PE. I would move on to the WOT part of the tune.
    Once you are done with WOT you should now fine tune the lower part of the MAF by using LTFT+STFT histogram. Then your trims will be right on.
    2004 GTP: 3.8L SC, XP CAM, 85MM Maf, 105# Springs, 3.3" Pulley, Autolite 103's K&N CAI, 3" Downpipe: TOG Headers, #39 Cobra Injectors, ZZP Crate motor with CNC Ported Heads, NGK AFX Wideband

You don't want to lift of the throttle completely when scanning. I sometimes put the trans in neutral when slowing down. You need to accel & decel smoothly. But your part throttle AFR is close enough for now.

So change your PE back to 11.5 and the PE enable TPS back to stock (or were you want it), and tune the WOT AFR. Then use the STFT+LTFT method to fine tune the part throttle fuel trims up to 7500 Hz.

Russ Kemp

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks Russ. I will try that. Russ should I keep the EGR disabled and keep it in open loop?
    Last edited by mtcrusan; 03-10-2008 at 04:24 PM.
    Mitchell

'04 Supercharged MC SS

MOD LIST

Thanks Russ. I will try that. Russ should I keep the EGR disabled and keep it in open loop?
    Yes, I would just keep it disabled. Yes, the engine is to be in open loop until the last step of the tune when you fine tune the fuel trims up to 7500 Hz. No good reason to have exhaust entering the intake manifold. There might be a slight loss in fuel mileage with the EGR disabled. But every V6 tune that I've done has improved the mileage even with the EGR disabled.

I have seen many NA 3800 engines with antifreeze in the intake due to the EGR passage being burnt through into the throttle body coolant passage (the EGR & coolant passage are only ~1/8" apart. Then the upper plastic intake plenum has to be replaced. Disabling the EGR valve prevents the problem from occurring again.

Russ Kemp

Tuner
    I fixed it. I disconnected the battery for about 30 minutes. After that I did a write entire.
    Mitchell, just a thought. Dont do a "write entire" when you simply make calibration changes, okay?
    2000 GTP- S2X, diamond forged 9.5:1, balanced, Lucas 42.5#, GenV w/N*, stage 3 heads, custom PCM, ZZP SS IC, TOGS, MPS 3.0, Intensified 3.69's tranny - low 12's!!!!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 00GTP
    Mitchell, just a thought. Dont do a "write entire" when you simply make calibration changes, okay?

I understand that now, but I was in a panic mode on Friday. Keith said the same thing. Thanks!
    Mitchell

'04 Supercharged MC SS

MOD LIST

Advanced Tuner
    I just run 2 WOT runs from 2nd gear. I'm getting 6.6 degrees of knock. That is the worst. The 2 runs are on the same scan. Do I just apply the corrections the same as part throttle MAF tuning? One thing I don't understand is if your commanding 11.5 afr through out the whole range why would the scanner command different afr's depending on throttle position? I appreciate the help and knowledge you all provide. TIA!
    Mitchell

'04 Supercharged MC SS

MOD LIST

Advanced Tuner
    Files attached.
    Mitchell

'04 Supercharged MC SS

MOD LIST

Do I just apply the corrections the same as part throttle MAF tuning?
    Yes
    One thing I don't understand is if your commanding 11.5 afr through out the whole range why would the scanner command different afr's depending on throttle position?
    Since there are no open loop tables available for the V6 cars yet, the commanded AFR in open loop, and not in PE, will be all over the place. The PE is 11.5 were you set it, just ignore the commanded AFR when not in PE. Once closed loop is enabled, the commanded AFR will be 14.7 at operating temp when not in PE.

When scanning the WOT, bring the car to a complete stop before going WOT in second gear. Then stop the scan after the first run, make the changes to the MAF table, flash the new tune & retest. Combining several scans together is throwing extra variables into the scan.

Could you post your stock tune? Looks like your knock sensors need to be desensitized.

Russ Kemp

Advanced Tuner
    Stock Tune and the Tune from Intense. The stock is a .bin file!
    Mitchell

'04 Supercharged MC SS

MOD LIST