Thread: 6l80e Line pressure/Max Line pressure question

Potential Tuner

6l80e Line pressure/Max Line pressure question

Im super wet behind the ears with tuning and tweaking. My 6l80e in my 13 tahoe is my first venture. Its a bolt on 5.3 with a fresh 6l80e and ZL1 converter. Nothing crazy.

I followed a couple well put together beginner 6l80 tuning videos on youtube and searched around a little. This netted me bumping 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 shift pressures by 5%, running the blue cat calculator at a 4 shift slope, zeroing out converter slip tables, and only running lockup in 5/6. The truck drives amazingly better. Also I disabled torque management and changed my shift factors to .7. Im not really looking to change things that dont need to be changed but Im confused by whether the line pressure values are constraining other values. Id like to get my 1-2 a little firmer because Im pretty used to driving a max line pressure 4l80 but after trying 5% more on pressure and not seeing any difference I think the upshift oncoming is the next place to tweak.

So Ive seen people recommend running extremely high line pressure values. Obviously Im not making gobs of power but eventually Im going to build a nice cam only ls3 for this truck, and since Im curious I was looking for a more definitive guide on max pressure, max pressure B, max clutch and max line pressure table.VPL 13 Tahoe base ECU-TCM - rear o2 delete TCC - TM off.hpt

Do not disable torque mngt if you want this transmission to live. The 6L80e must have TM enabled otherwise you will be rebuilding that thing sooner rather than later. Whatever video's you saw that have that disabled are doing it wrong.

I don't see any changes to the shift pressure at all in that tune file.

The pattern X upshift tables are all stock still. Increase the 0, 111, 221 ft/lbs sections over 64 degrees by 5-10% for good part throttle pressures.

The shift time torque adder normal tables for pattern X are your shift times. You'll see that they are pretty slow. I scale the whole table down some and leave the WOT area's at .3000. Going much quicker in a heavy ass trucks may not make it happy.

Then add to the oncoming pressure presets in the pressure adaptive tables for gears 1-4.

I have never touched any of the MAX pressure tables because I don't need to and the transmission does pretty much exactly what I want it to do. I'll post a old tune of mine from a 2012 silverado, look at the stuff I talked about here and feel free to copy what I did. Doing pressure changes also means you need to reset the adaptives with the scanner after flashing the tune and prior to starting the truck, otherwise the changes won't be learned.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Do not disable torque mngt if you want this transmission to live. The 6L80e must have TM enabled otherwise you will be rebuilding that thing sooner rather than later. Whatever video's you saw that have that disabled are doing it wrong.

I don't see any changes to the shift pressure at all in that tune file.

The pattern X upshift tables are all stock still. Increase the 0, 111, 221 ft/lbs sections over 64 degrees by 5-10% for good part throttle pressures.

The shift time torque adder normal tables for pattern X are your shift times. You'll see that they are pretty slow. I scale the whole table down some and leave the WOT area's at .3000. Going much quicker in a heavy ass trucks may not make it happy.

Then add to the oncoming pressure presets in the pressure adaptive tables for gears 1-4.

I have never touched any of the MAX pressure tables because I don't need to and the transmission does pretty much exactly what I want it to do. I'll post a old tune of mine from a 2012 silverado, look at the stuff I talked about here and feel free to copy what I did. Doing pressure changes also means you need to reset the adaptives with the scanner after flashing the tune and prior to starting the truck, otherwise the changes won't be learned.
    Thanks man. I really appreciate the advice. I turned the torque management back on like you said and viewing your silverado file I noticed the stall torque management under general in torque management seems to be drastically different. Should I set these fields relative to my converter?

There are minor differences between operating systems and vehicles. They changed stuff between 2012 and 2013 as well as between half ton truck and full size SUV.

The bulk of the data is the same like shift pressures, timing and so on. I wouldn't change other stuff if you don't need to. Just the stuff I talked about.

A lot of the engine side stuff can be looked at too. There is stuff left on the table in yours because it looks all stock there too.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    There are minor differences between operating systems and vehicles. They changed stuff between 2012 and 2013 as well as between half ton truck and full size SUV.

The bulk of the data is the same like shift pressures, timing and so on. I wouldn't change other stuff if you don't need to. Just the stuff I talked about.

A lot of the engine side stuff can be looked at too. There is stuff left on the table in yours because it looks all stock there too.
    Alot of engine side stuff pertaining to the trans/torque management? Is there a good place to start for a beginner with this stuff in general?

Also side note none of the videos I watched said to turn torque management off. That was clearly a bad assumption on my part.

I really appreciate the help

On coming pressure presets

Potential Tuner

I wanted to thank you again. That tune you shared I melded the trans settings into my tune and Im really happy with how it drives. Its super snappy and firm but not agressive.