Thread: Is 'write entire' disabled on NGC4s?

Is 'write entire' disabled on NGC4s?

All I see is:

Write Calibration
    SKIM Disable for retrofit
    Do Not Write

This is an NGC4 PCM swapped into a 2006 SRT8 Magnum. Everything else works as expected. I do see the option on my original NGC3 PCM.

Thanks.

Protocol Info: ISO 15765-2, J1962: CAN, 500 kb/s

ECM: 7E8, CAN - NGC4, Dodge
    VIN: 2D4GV77346H214697 - 2006 Dodge Magnum SRT-8, 6.1 L, V8
    Serial: TEVEH1598KSQGI
    Base OS: ETC07P09V12.0_ENGV12.0_TXXVXX.X
    Calibration IDs: 05094389AE
    Calibration VNs: 5F7D709E
    Basic PIDs: 42
    Trouble Codes:
    Controller Type ID By OS: 21030
    Diagnostic Requirements: Init CAN 0x10 0x92
    Scanning Methods: ISO 15031-5 Mode 0x01 Functional, ISO 15031-5 Mode 0x01 Physical, CAN Listener, ISO 14230-3 Mode 0x22, ISO 14230-3 Mode 0x23, ISO 14230-3 Mode 0x2C 0x21
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    All I see is:

Write Calibration
    SKIM Disable for retrofit
    Do Not Write

This is an NGC4 PCM swapped into a 2006 SRT8 Magnum. Everything else works as expected. I do see the option on my original NGC3 PCM.

Thanks.
    Did you have a solution. I am doing the same. 2010 NGC4 into a 2006 300c. Am having same message when downloading "Write Calibration"

Advanced Tuner
    Out of curiosity, what are you guys trying to accomplish via "Write Entire"? Are you planning on writing your original tune from the NGC3 PCM into the NGC4 PCM? If it were to let you do that, you'd probably be in for a bad time. Given that the PCM hardware is going to be different from an NGC3 to NGC4, there are probably substantial enough differences in low level software/firmware requirements that you could potentially brick an NGC4 PCM by forcing NGC3 software onto it.

Also, if you were under the impression that a "Write Entire" would write the vehicle's original VIN into the donor NGC4 PCM, you'd be mistaken. HPTuners software doesn't allow VIN transferring of any sort with any of the Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge supported vehicles that I'm aware of. The only exception I've seen is when reading a vehicle whose PCM doesn't already have a VIN number in it, in some cases it will allow you to type the VIN into the HP Tuners software and will then flash it with said VIN at the first write operation. This occasionally happens with Cummins ECM equipped trucks, and I've seen it happen with Ford Powerstroke PCMs as well.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by B00STJUNKY View Post
    Out of curiosity, what are you guys trying to accomplish via "Write Entire"? Are you planning on writing your original tune from the NGC3 PCM into the NGC4 PCM? If it were to let you do that, you'd probably be in for a bad time. Given that the PCM hardware is going to be different from an NGC3 to NGC4, there are probably substantial enough differences in low level software/firmware requirements that you could potentially brick an NGC4 PCM by forcing NGC3 software onto it.

Also, if you were under the impression that a "Write Entire" would write the vehicle's original VIN into the donor NGC4 PCM, you'd be mistaken. HPTuners software doesn't allow VIN transferring of any sort with any of the Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge supported vehicles that I'm aware of. The only exception I've seen is when reading a vehicle whose PCM doesn't already have a VIN number in it, in some cases it will allow you to type the VIN into the HP Tuners software and will then flash it with said VIN at the first write operation. This occasionally happens with Cummins ECM equipped trucks, and I've seen it happen with Ford Powerstroke PCMs as well.
    I am putting a 6.4 into a 2006 300c. I just want to take advantage of the VVT and larger cubic capacity over the 5.7 Hemi. I purchase the 300c with the usual problem of dropped valve seats. I am a newbie to HP tuners and am trying to learn like hell. I have both online and written courses. After reading a post of someone else doing the same, I pulled the trigger and started on the 6.4 Hemi build. I have installed the engine and successfully made all the required wiring changes except for the cam phaser circuit, alternator and short runner. To be completed in next few days when weather lets up.
    I have been able to start and run the engine successfully.
    After doing a few uploads and downloads to the 2010 NGC(purchased from hotwire with my VIN programmed) I notice Grants message and remembered getting similar results and just hope that I can make all the necessary changes to run the 6.4 Hemi with 270 Comp cam and long tube headers.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo2 View Post
    I am putting a 6.4 into a 2006 300c. I just want to take advantage of the VVT and larger cubic capacity over the 5.7 Hemi. I purchase the 300c with the usual problem of dropped valve seats. I am a newbie to HP tuners and am trying to learn like hell. I have both online and written courses. After reading a post of someone else doing the same, I pulled the trigger and started on the 6.4 Hemi build. I have installed the engine and successfully made all the required wiring changes except for the cam phaser circuit, alternator and short runner. To be completed in next few days when weather lets up.
    I have been able to start and run the engine successfully.
    After doing a few uploads and downloads to the 2010 NGC(purchased from hotwire with my VIN programmed) I notice Grants message and remembered getting similar results and just hope that I can make all the necessary changes to run the 6.4 Hemi with 270 Comp cam and long tube headers.
    "Write Entire" is rarely something you actually need when tuning any vehicle.

The only use cases I've seen for it are when you're:
    ? Flashing a custom OS (something HP Tuners provided for GM applications so they could run 2 and 3 BAR speed density)
    ? Some OS patches that HP Tuners provided I believe require a "Write Entire"
    ? Going from one OS to another of the same PCM family (I do this occasionally with Neon SRT-4 PCMs, which are all for the better part NGC3, the 2005 OS being the most well defined in HP Tuners software)
    ? In some platforms (2003-2005 Cummins ECM, for example), "Write Entire" is the only option available.

Basically, it's very unlikely that you'll ever need that functionality with what you're doing. The potential for bricking a PCM is at its highest during a "Write Entire" operation, so that's just another reason not to worry about having it.

Potential Tuner
    "Write Entire" is rarely something you actually need when tuning any vehicle.

The only use cases I've seen for it are when you're:
    ? Flashing a custom OS (something HP Tuners provided for GM applications so they could run 2 and 3 BAR speed density)
    ? Some OS patches that HP Tuners provided I believe require a "Write Entire"
    ? Going from one OS to another of the same PCM family (I do this occasionally with Neon SRT-4 PCMs, which are all for the better part NGC3, the 2005 OS being the most well defined in HP Tuners software)
    ? In some platforms (2003-2005 Cummins ECM, for example), "Write Entire" is the only option available.

Basically, it's very unlikely that you'll ever need that functionality with what you're doing. The potential for bricking a PCM is at its highest during a "Write Entire" operation, so that's just another reason not to worry about having it.
    Thanks or reply. Was able to confirm the ECM was taking changes

Out of curiosity, what are you guys trying to accomplish via "Write Entire"?
    I was trying to write a 2009 manual Challenger OS onto a Dodge Ram PCM. I eventually just got a Challenger PCM.