Thread: 6.0L base tune

Tuner in Training

6.0L base tune

hey guys,
    I'm relatively new to tuning and I'm working on my first swap. It's a 2005 6.0L going into my 1970 Chevelle.
    The engine:
    stock bore 6.0L
    ported 243 heads milled 0.020 (should be somewhere around 10.8:1 compression)
    Tick SNS stage 2 cam 231/235 duration .625/.605 lift with an LSA of 111+2 (10.7 degrees of overlap)
    edelbrock victor jr intake
    holly universal throttle body 1000cfm
    deatschWerks 50LB injectors
    it'll be running through a 4l80e with a shift kit and a circle d 3500 stall converter which is hooked to a 12 bolt posi with 4.11:1 gears.
    I've been doing a lot of reading and watching to figure out the software and I think I have a decent grasp on it. This is my base tune for the car to hopefully get it up and running. I'm hoping I can get some feedback on how the tune looks. Thanks in advance

chevelle base tune stage 1 fuel 4.hpt

You never put in all the injector data. Deatschwerks gives you all the data and you must input all of it.

Injector flow rate, min injector pulse, short pulse adder and offset vs volts data.

I think you should start off with the stock MAF/VE table. Adding in all that fuel plus adding in larger injectors isn't exactly a combo you need to do. It's much easier to see how it runs with minimal changes first, then add/remove fuel to make it happy.

I assume you have a wideband o2 sensor with all the fuel trim stuff being disabled.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    You never put in all the injector data. Deatschwerks gives you all the data and you must input all of it.

Injector flow rate, min injector pulse, short pulse adder and offset vs volts data.

I think you should start off with the stock MAF/VE table. Adding in all that fuel plus adding in larger injectors isn't exactly a combo you need to do. It's much easier to see how it runs with minimal changes first, then add/remove fuel to make it happy.

I assume you have a wideband o2 sensor with all the fuel trim stuff being disabled.
    ok so I tried to input the injector data supplied by deatschworks but every time I put it into the table it changes when I press enter. I also changed the VE table back to stock except I removed some fuel from the 400-1200rpm range for the bigger cam and did some smoothing. otherwise it is the stock VE table. I'm going to post my current base tune and the stock tune for comparison.
    I do have a wideband, and I'll be tuning in speed density because my intake doesn't have a place for a MAF sensor and it was recommended to me to turn off the fuel trims until my VE table is dialed in.
    thanks for the helpmy stock 6.0l tune.hptchevelle base tune stage 1 fuel 5 injector data.hpt
    Last edited by tpickrem; 10-23-2020 at 06:49 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by tpickrem View Post
    ok so I tried to input the injector data supplied by deatschworks but every time I put it into the table it changes when I press enter. I also changed the VE table back to stock except I removed some fuel from the 400-1200rpm range for the bigger cam and did some smoothing. otherwise it is the stock VE table. I'm going to post my current base tune and the stock tune for comparison.
    I do have a wideband, and I'll be tuning in speed density because my intake doesn't have a place for a MAF sensor and it was recommended to me to turn off the fuel trims until my VE table is dialed in.
    thanks for the help
    i'm also going to post the injector data GM injector data 18u-50.xls

The data they give won't directly paste into the tune file. You are dealing with the limits of the computer still.

So it may change a values slightly when you paste them into a table. Like the short pulse limit may say 4.000 but the editor will change it to 3.997 or something like that for example.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    The data they give won't directly paste into the tune file. You are dealing with the limits of the computer still.

So it may change a values slightly when you paste them into a table. Like the short pulse limit may say 4.000 but the editor will change it to 3.997 or something like that for example.
    So there?s no issues with the data being off by a slight amount? How does the VE table look after the changes?

It's fine it's not exactly like the spreadsheet, they all do that because the computer coding doesn't allow for some values so it changes them slightly.

The VE table is better. It should start up and run.

Tuner in Training
    It's fine it's not exactly like the spreadsheet, they all do that because the computer coding doesn't allow for some values so it changes them slightly.

The VE table is better. It should start up and run.
    thats good to hear!
    is there anything else obvious that I'm missing?