Thread: Long cranking L76

Long cranking L76

Currently working on tuning my 2008 G8 for highway fuel economy, and it's going pretty well reaching 26mpg with the dod off.

But one thing that has been bothering me since I bought the car last year is how long it cranks over before it starts, it's nothing crazy maybe 3-5 seconds. But in comparison to my 1992 Sonoma that has a 2004 lm7 which starts almost immediately, it feels like an excessive amount of time.

Just curious what I need to work on to Improve cranking time. I'm assuming it's going to be in the sections labeled "cranking" but I'm not very familiar with the gen iv OS.

On my truck it's just some VE correction for the intake/headers and bump in the timing.

Any help is appreciated

There is a good chance that it has something to do with fuel pressure. If the pump hasn't run long enough to build pressure before you start cranking that could be the problem. Try turning the key on and let the pump run for a few seconds before cranking and see if that helps. Next would be putting a fuel pressure gauge on it to see what kind of pressure you have while cranking.