Thread: 2015 Mustang Whipple Surging

Potential Tuner

2015 Mustang Whipple Surging

Hey guys,
    I have a 2015 Mustang with a Whipple Stage 1 with a part-throttle surging problem.

I'm the original owner, car was under warranty when the SC was installed, and had no running issues prior. On the very first drive after SC install, I noticed a surging around 3,000RPM, going from about 20% to 30% throttle, like when you're going up a hill and just need to maintain speed. Vacuum would go from around 13" to around 5" or so, and then start surging badly like someone was flicking the ignition on/off several times.

Whipple said they adjusted some of the torque tables, not sure what exactly they changed. It's better, but it still feels like the throttle closes slightly one time under the same throttle demand, then it's fine. Otherwise, it starts, idles, warms up, cruises and WOT fine. Data logs seem fine.

I finished the kit last February, and after months of going back and forth, waiting for replies, being ghosted several times and reading their emails that, to me, seem condescending, we're both pretty much done with each other.

We did try a Palm Beach tune, which surged pretty much the same way. They said it seemed like a bypass valve fluctuation, but we tried a new actuator with no change. Honestly, I'm 100% certain the installation was done in accordance to the manual. I took a very, very long time to install this because I wanted to avoid the exact issue I have now.

I'm wondering if I should buy the HP Tuner so I can modify the tune somehow (not sure how to change these things), or just pull the SC and go back to NA.

Any ideas?
    Thanks for any help.

Tuner
    Get HP tuners, do alot of reading, post your driving log files, maybe one of us can help.

Advanced Tuner
    I had to do this on a 2017 GT with Whipple 2.9 and 132mm TB. It was a pain in the azz but did the trick. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxX-P1y-C6s

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by txcharlie View Post
    I had to do this on a 2017 GT with Whipple 2.9 and 132mm TB. It was a pain in the azz but did the trick. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxX-P1y-C6s
    Thanks for the reply.

What were the symptoms?

Stage 1 uses the stock throttle body.

Hptuners would allow you to data log and figure out the area of concern.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by colt_breaker View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

What were the symptoms?
    It had a very light surge at part throttle, when vacuum was approaching 0.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LastPlace View Post
    Stage 1 uses the stock throttle body.

Hptuners would allow you to data log and figure out the area of concern.
    This is true, but I don't know if this issue exists on other Whipple TBs or not. I talked with Whipple support and he mentioned this procedure was never necessary on the 11-14 TBs and only became an issue with 15+ models.

Tuner in Training
    I made a post yesterday about a 2012 Raptor with a 2.9 whipple surging on start up. It too has a surge at cruise as well. I started from scratch as whipple was absolutely no help, I've tuned many GM's but this was was my first boosted ford tune. Can anyone chime in and give some insight on what exactly to log to start dialing this thing in so I can get it out of my shop lol. I'm not asking for someone to do it, just point me in the right direction. I have the Tuning School's book but it's not much on these issues and it seems from what I've read quite common issue. Thanks in advance.

Potential Tuner
    Spend the $300 on the MVI2. Read and post the tune. let these guys look at it. They can help you figure out what to log. Logging with Ngauge is a waste of time. They do not log the parameters you need.
    16' GT 6R80 Gen 5 3.0 Whipple
    91 Fox Vert
    89 Kenne Bell Powered Fox
    86 Fox Notch