Thread: Where do I go for help tuning a 1996 LT4 early odb2 car with a supercharger?

Potential Tuner

Where do I go for help tuning a 1996 LT4 early odb2 car with a supercharger?

Hello,

Currently am trying to add new life to my old semi-old school 96 LT4 vette by adding a pro-charger to it. The mechanics are almost complete and now looking at the tune. Given the limited parms how would you start or go for help? Currently have ScanXL for logging and Jet DST

1. The injectors will go from 27lb to 60lb >> This can be accounted for in the constants / Injector Flow Rate 27 lbs/HR / added walbro and inline pumps
    2. Temps were easily modfied for fan temps
    3. VATS and CAGS off

What would you start with?

Do I start with the MAF Sensor Calibration Table ? (I only see HZ to gm/sec.)

I attach a txt representation of my current tune a long with the JCL file rename to txt.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mimgq2 View Post
    Hello,

Currently am trying to add new life to my old semi-old school 96 LT4 vette by adding a pro-charger to it. The mechanics are almost complete and now looking at the tune. Given the limited parms how would you start or go for help? Currently have ScanXL for logging and Jet DST

1. The injectors will go from 27lb to 60lb >> This can be accounted for in the constants / Injector Flow Rate 27 lbs/HR / added walbro and inline pumps
    2. Temps were easily modfied for fan temps
    3. VATS and CAGS off

What would you start with?

Do I start with the MAF Sensor Calibration Table ? (I only see HZ to gm/sec.)

I attach a txt representation of my current tune a long with the JCL file rename to txt.
    Unfortunately, HP Tuners doesn't support that application, so you won't find much help on this site, unless you do a 411 PCM conversion.

Maybe this will help you with the basics...

http://lt1pcmtuning.com/tips/
    Last edited by kevin87turbot; 10-26-2020 at 09:01 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    It has been awhile since I did any Gen 2 LT1 tuning. You will not find much support on this forum, as HP Tuners never supported this now obsolete PCM.

Your 60 Lbs/Hr fuel injector flow rate won't be a problem - that PCM parameter has nearly unlimited room for increase.

The MAF table is limited to a maximum of 512 g/sec - which, depending on boost level - may be a problem.

The VE table in for N/A use only - and cannot be configured for boost.

The significant difficulty in tuning these old PCMs, is that there is no PID available to log MAF Sensor frequency (Hz) - there is only a PID for MAF Sensor airflow rate (g/sec). This makes creating as easy to use histogram impossible - with respect to MAF tuning.

With an N/A engine, it was always easiest to put the PCM in Speed Density Mode, and only tune the VE tables (there are 2 of them) - as the necessary PIDs are available to create a histogram.

Tuning the MAF calibration is pretty much an exercise in best approximation, until you have it very close - and this is quite time consuming.

Also, there is no "COS" upgrade available to these old PCMs.

Converting to a P01 PCM (0411) would make tuning very straight forward (and accurate), but there is a cost associated with this approach.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon S. View Post
    It has been awhile since I did any Gen 2 LT1 tuning. You will not find much support on this forum, as HP Tuners never supported this now obsolete PCM.

Your 60 Lbs/Hr fuel injector flow rate won't be a problem - that PCM parameter has nearly unlimited room for increase.

The MAF table is limited to a maximum of 512 g/sec - which, depending on boost level - may be a problem.

The VE table in for N/A use only - and cannot be configured for boost.

The significant difficulty in tuning these old PCMs, is that there is no PID available to log MAF Sensor frequency (Hz) - there is only a PID for MAF Sensor airflow rate (g/sec). This makes creating as easy to use histogram impossible - with respect to MAF tuning.

With an N/A engine, it was always easiest to put the PCM in Speed Density Mode, and only tune the VE tables (there are 2 of them) - as the necessary PIDs are available to create a histogram.

Tuning the MAF calibration is pretty much an exercise in best approximation, until you have it very close - and this is quite time consuming.

Also, there is no "COS" upgrade available to these old PCMs.

Converting to a P01 PCM (0411) would make tuning very straight forward (and accurate), but there is a cost associated with this approach.
    You can use jet dst or lt1edit.
    There are a few Facebook groups like tunerpro users you can join.

If you want to use HPTuners or have a better tuning platform you can run any of the 24x systems. Either Torqhead or eficonnections.

Your 96 is also a good platform to run the 4x 0411 swap
    Some rewiring and an 0411 pcm and youll have all the tuning advantages of the ls1 24x system except youll still use the opti and single coil.
    1997 30th SS. Torqhead 24x, TFS heads, 223/235 cam, 4l80e, S60 D1SC 14psi

Tuner in Training
    Torqhead offers a 24x coil near plug ignition upgrade for the LT1/LT4. It converts to the LS1 PCM so you can then use HP Tuners.

Senior Tuner
    Highly recommend the torque head or EFIconection swap. The software for the early obd2 cars isn't great and same goes for options for scanners.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs