Thread: Max TIP?

Potential Tuner

Max TIP?

First dumb question here, what is "Max TIP"?

I've been unable to find what "Max TIP" means in the Variable Camshaft settings. I'm guessing that with "TIP" capitalized and the description referring to "TIP Mode" it's an acronym?

While I'm at it, why would the WOT and Max Airflow tables be different?

Advanced Tuner
    TIP could mean Throttle inlet pressure or Turbo inlet pressure or Turbine inlet pressure.

Depends on what you're working on.
    If in doubt, multiply everything by 1.1.

Potential Tuner
    Spose that's a good question. A '14 Chrysler 300 with the 5.7. It's a table in Engine > Airflow > Variable Camshaft under "Desired Angle". There's two tables there, "Normal" and "Max TIP" these tables appear to largely be opposite each other.

Max TIP Ex.jpg
    Last edited by Snek; 10-27-2020 at 08:13 AM.

On a 2018 Ram 2500 6.4L, the Max Tip table is always in use at part throttle.

Russ Kemp

Tuner in Training
    Engine - airflow - variable camshaft
    then
    exhaust camshaft - desired angle - max tip

mytune.hpt is a 2017 Durango RT 5.7 stock
    the other is a 2020 Durango RT 5.7 stock

mytune.hpt
    DODGE DURANGO 2020 5.7.hpt

but the max tip tables for these look much different, despite the engine being the same in these two.

anyone know why?

TIP , the table is used if slam your foot down on the gas pedal , it's the table used to pull timing if knock is sensed during rapid throttle opening.....at least that's what one of the Tuner Guru's told me.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by rays04gtx View Post
    TIP , the table is used if slam your foot down on the gas pedal , it's the table used to pull timing if knock is sensed during rapid throttle opening.....at least that's what one of the Tuner Guru's told me.
    so when tuning a pre vvt but with eagle heads, what would be the direction to go and what is it used for on a pre vvt system?
    By the prickle of my thumb something wicked this way comes!2008 Chrysler 300c! 2013 heads/220/230 comp cam/LTheaders/FTI 2600 stall converter.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo2gnx View Post
    so when tuning a pre vvt but with eagle heads, what would be the direction to go and what is it used for on a pre vvt system?
    I set the tables to all 0.........attached image is what I'm talking about

Screenshot 2022-05-22 091250.png

Advanced Tuner
    I set the tables to all 0.........attached image is what I'm talking about

Screenshot 2022-05-22 091250.png
    ok i checked and thats what is there for my tip, all 0's
    what is tip used for, what does it control?
    By the prickle of my thumb something wicked this way comes!2008 Chrysler 300c! 2013 heads/220/230 comp cam/LTheaders/FTI 2600 stall converter.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo2gnx View Post
    ok i checked and thats what is there for my tip, all 0's
    what is tip used for, what does it control?
    It controls Timing , during those split seconds after you go from Idle to WOT if there is any knock detected these tables pull timing, these tables are used during rapid throttle opening, now if you ease your foot down or Driving steady ,constant pedal pressure or in cruise control and the engine experiences knock ,that timing is pulled by different tables(Engine>Retard>short term knock or Long term knock)

Look at it this way.

Your staged on the Line, holding against the convertor @2000 rpms waiting for the Light to go green, if your engine starts to sense Knock, it'll pull timing based on Engine>Retard>short term knock table, Light goes green, that split second it takes you to mash the pedal down , if there's knock it'll pull timing based on the TIP table, now your into the run, pedal is on the pedal stop, if you get knock here, timing is pulled by the engine>Retard> Long term knock table.

Advanced Tuner
    It controls Timing , during those split seconds after you go from Idle to WOT if there is any knock detected these tables pull timing, these tables are used during rapid throttle opening, now if you ease your foot down or Driving steady ,constant pedal pressure or in cruise control and the engine experiences knock ,that timing is pulled by different tables(Engine>Retard>short term knock or Long term knock)

Look at it this way.

Your staged on the Line, holding against the convertor @2000 rpms waiting for the Light to go green, if your engine starts to sense Knock, it'll pull timing based on Engine>Retard>short term knock table, Light goes green, that split second it takes you to mash the pedal down , if there's knock it'll pull timing based on the TIP table, now your into the run, pedal is on the pedal stop, if you get knock here, timing is pulled by the engine>Retard> Long term knock table.
    brother i really appreciate you explaining that! ive asked and received it pulls timing and thats was it, you explained how and why!

Tuner
    I think Snek was asking for the airflow-camshaft max TIP table and here response was about the spark VVT table? a bit too late probably but.... for the airflow camshaft max TIP table I have seen that it is used instead of the PT table when your pedal goes down but not yet WOT (for soft-med pedal it uses PT, for med-high it uses max TIP, for floor pedal it uses WOT cam table).

What I have seen on pentastar?11 is I modified radically cams PT table and did not touch max TIP. When on the road scanning I noticed the cam jumped from PT table to maxTIP table on MAPs around 70KPa what caused rpm fluctuations. I resolved this by unifying the max TIP table to what the new PT table was and this resolved the problem. It can be seen that max TIP table starts already at high air charges.

Yes tip is the transition table between pt, wot,
    04 GTX........ 8.91@151mph 392Ci G3Hemi NA 3600lbs 2.6HP/CI Naturally Aspirated
    05 GTxtreme 9:45@142mph 426Ci G3Hemi NA 4000lbs
    G3 Hemi Videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClS...5mXdDR5sOxs10Q